Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
So pick your UFO, maybe the easiest one to finish, and start your 2016 off with a finish this month!
I have a Queen and a table runner I was trying to finish for the 2015 challenge that I got quilted, just need to trim, surge, and bind. I think I will make a personal goal to get these two items done before the end of the month.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Very pretty Anoka quilter
Old 01-04-2016, 02:31 PM

Well done Anoka quilter, one down ...... To go.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:58 PM

I started counting and then decided it was too depressing to do so so I stopped, at 18. That was way more than I thought so figured I would just live in denial and make my started projects a priority to finish before starting any new ones for me. I do swaps on here, the wall hanging, and I want to do the table runner one so figure that will keep me inspired with fresh new things to do while I work on clearing out some of the UFO's from my stash.

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
Well done Anoka quilter, one down ...... To go.

Last edited by Anoka Quilter; 01-04-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Got 2 finishes done! Now to work on a couple donation quilts next. This is our quilt guild's 2015 BOM we worked on all last year...had to be finished by Feb. meeting. The quilt is all batik scraps...the runner is one of the blocks, but I didn't like it for the quilt, so just made a couple extras for the quilt (set on point so needed 13 blocks). Then decided to grab some red/white scraps for the runner flowers & put Xmas fabric on the back so it can be even used at Xmas time. Two for one! I'm making my list just for myself, adding as I find them (they're everywhere!), and will just post finishes & a brief description with the posts. Will see how many get finished this year...
Attached Thumbnails 2015-guild-bom-scrap-batik-quilt.jpg   2015-guild-bom-runner.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Anoka Quilter and VickiM..Congrats on helping the 'no longer UFO's' list to get higher. Just a note about spray basting..I have only done one lap quilt that way and that was with the help of a friend. We did it on her large dining room table. Laid backing and batting out and then folded in half so we could spray the half the batting at a time. Then smoother the backing on and did the other half. Then turned over and sprayed half the batting again for the top to go on. Later she told em that she had to damp mop her floor (hardwood) because she could feel 'sticky' on it from the spray. So I am going to try this at home on my next lap size and lay old sheets all over everything, including under the project and try it myself the next time I have one ready to sandwich. If they are lap size or smaller. I plan to FMQ quilt them myself. Will let you know how that goes.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
I am lucky when it comes to sandwiching quilts, we have a pool table and hubby made boards that would fit over the top so I have a nice big area to lay everything out on.

I also took Janice's challenge and finished one of my UFO's. Now it only needed the binding done, and I have a few in that stage; however, it was an item I could easily get done.

This is the table topper from Mystery Train 6 here on the board. I finished the actual top in February 2014 and I quilted it in March 2015 and it has just set. I am glad to have that one off my list and finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539407[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539408[/ATTACH]
Your quilting is beautiful. Did you do it by free motion or a walking foot? Did you mark the quilt pattern before quilting?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Excellent job, VickiM. Let's hear it for TWO finishes! Toot Toot!!! Both are lovely. Congratulations!
Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
Got 2 finishes done! Now to work on a couple donation quilts next. This is our quilt guild's 2015 BOM we worked on all last year...had to be finished by Feb. meeting. The quilt is all batik scraps...the runner is one of the blocks, but I didn't like it for the quilt, so just made a couple extras for the quilt (set on point so needed 13 blocks). Then decided to grab some red/white scraps for the runner flowers & put Xmas fabric on the back so it can be even used at Xmas time. Two for one! I'm making my list just for myself, adding as I find them (they're everywhere!), and will just post finishes & a brief description with the posts. Will see how many get finished this year...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM

AnokaQuilter, great first finish for the year. Red, white and black, really love the colors! Congratulations! Toot, Toot!!!

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
I am lucky when it comes to sandwiching quilts, we have a pool table and hubby made boards that would fit over the top so I have a nice big area to lay everything out on.

I also took Janice's challenge and finished one of my UFO's. Now it only needed the binding done, and I have a few in that stage; however, it was an item I could easily get done.

This is the table topper from Mystery Train 6 here on the board. I finished the actual top in February 2014 and I quilted it in March 2015 and it has just set. I am glad to have that one off my list and finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539407[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539408[/ATTACH]
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 PM

I would like to join you wonderful, motivating quilters in this endeavor for 2016!! I was not very successful last year, but need to finish some of my UFO's which I think will number between 60 and 75. (But starting new projects is sooo much fun!!) My goal is to finish one UFO each month with 3 extra for the year. Thank you, Janice, for starting this thread this year. Good luck to all the quilters!!

Linda in Missouri