Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 AM

I'd like to take the challenge. Sandwiching quilts are difficult. I love every aspect of quilting except that. I probably have 10 tops needing sandwiched and 5 in pieces. I think 6 or one every other month might be doable so that's my goal. Thanks for having this challenge.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 AM

QM,That's as good an endorsement of this thread as any I've heard and it certainly made me smile Thanks for my first morning giggle!
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I feel warm and cozy at this moment knowing I am going to be in this challenge with you all.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 AM

Good morning, Terriamn! So happy to see you here! How lovely of you to work on your friend's quilt. I hope you'll post pics when it's done...or even before.

Sounds like you "enjoy" the sandwiching as much as I do. Also, I'm not proficient enough to machine quilt well so that's how my UFOs generally start stacking up. Avoidance, sheer avoidance of the unpleasant job. In fact, she hangs her head in shame, I had hours yesterday to work on sandwiching a small quilt and getting it under the needle, and did I do it? No. And here I am, already looking at a few finishes from the other quilters already. oh, dear!

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Oh good grief I have another project to finish. A good friend at church brought me a quilt that originally was her grandmothers. It was in terrible condition. Robin and her daughter took it apart and saved the best blocks and hand pieced it back together again about 30 years ago. Her health has deteriorated and she is desperate to get it quilted. To do the quilt justice it should be hand quilted but asked me if I would machine quilt it very simply in the ditch. Spent several hours last night removing all the straight pins they had used to baste it together, trying to add more batting and fabric on the sides. Sandwiched and basted it. Fun to discover I had made a quilt with a reproduction of one of the fabrics in the quilt.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 AM

Too funny! As "engineer" here I shouldn't laugh but I've been there, done that!
Originally Posted by Marich52 View Post
AHHHH.....Deb has finished UFO's already!!! And all I have done is start 3 more quilts....lol....My train is moving backwards.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 AM

Less than 4 full days into the new year and 80 plus posts already. This train took off under a full head of steam, that's for sure! (I have GOT to get some good train lingo. Where's Sheldon when I need him?)

Welcome to everyone who is newly signed up. Nobody should worry themselves about posting a complete list of their UFOs unless you wish to. Not necessary unless it helps you keep on track (see what I did there?) and work toward your goal. We would all love to see pix of your finishes though. If anyone cannot post pix, pm me and I'll send you my email address. I'll be happy to post them for you. It's no trouble. And you needn't post an exact number. My 17 UFOs actually jumped up to 19 when I remembered a couple of others I'd tucked away safely and utterly forgot. UFO counts are fluid anyway. Projects move in and, very occasionally, out. But that's what we're about...getting some to move out to become real quilts on beds, or wall-hangings, or table runners, or bags, or whatever! So pick your UFO, maybe the easiest one to finish, and start your 2016 off with a finish this month!

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-04-2016 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation as usual
Old 01-04-2016, 07:12 AM

Judith, I've got a scrappy swoon waiting for me in my UFO stack. I cannot wait to see yours when it's done. (That was such a fun challenge.) Let us know of your progress.
Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
Oh, I'm hopping aboard the train also. I have 26 UFO's to finish. And countless quilts I would like to start. I'm going to set my goal to finish at least half of these this year. Some will take a little more time, some a little less. So, I guess we will see what I can get finished.

My first UFO I'm working on is going to be my Giant Scrappy Swoon. I started it 6 months ago and it quickly took a back seat to other things and became a UFO. (Well after the Swoon Along here on the QB ended.) I want it on my bed for spring. So, I plan to finish it up this month. I only have 2 more steps to go. And then it needs some type of border. Or, maybe I will just figure out something to use the extra blocks I already cut. Might as well use up some extra fabric too.

Thank you Janice for taking on this thread!! I've done dismally bad in the past here. But, this year, I'm really going to try to contribute to the end total.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 AM

I'm jumping aboard this year, again. I made some progress last year, but this year I plan to do better. For January I plan to quit my KC Royals throw quilt. I used a slightly changed Mystery Train #11 for the pattern. Then finish a small fall table cover, it only needs binding sewn on. I had problems keeping the top and binding in 1 spot to complete the project. Then sew the doll quilt top for my sister. I'm combining several sewing patterns to create this pattern. The 1/2 square triangles are made, but I need to make the 4-patches. I hope it okay when it is all done.

Allspot, Such a lovely quilt completed. The color are great together.

On to finish the table topper.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:05 PM

I have finished two tops already. Yes, I did start that Snowflake Sernade for a quilting class online. It needs completed, which will be because I am using if for the Table runner Swap.
Daughters Christmas tree skirt top done
Christmas Panel quilt top done.
Now for the quilting part. That makes 30 quilt tops to be done. Oh my and that is my favorite part.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Maybe we should start a "I hate sandwiching and thus I have UFO's" thread!! Because that is why I have them also.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:32 PM

I am lucky when it comes to sandwiching quilts, we have a pool table and hubby made boards that would fit over the top so I have a nice big area to lay everything out on.

I also took Janice's challenge and finished one of my UFO's. Now it only needed the binding done, and I have a few in that stage; however, it was an item I could easily get done.

This is the table topper from Mystery Train 6 here on the board. I finished the actual top in February 2014 and I quilted it in March 2015 and it has just set. I am glad to have that one off my list and finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539407[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539408[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160104_090112_resized.jpg   20160104_085938_resized.jpg   20160104_090349_resized.jpg