Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-10-2016, 05:23 PM

AUquilter...great projects, I made some headway in a baby quilt today - I am quilting Baptist fans to practice for special larger quilt I want to quilt with them.

I received some tips from one of our LQS concerning UFO's - ~~ I would like to share a couple of them .....
First select your UFO, check that you understand pattern and have all you need to complete it. First day work on for 15 minutes, next day 30, next 45 -- then back to 15, 30 & 45 minutes...they say that way you will not burn yourself out on the project which is why it is probably an UFOin the first place. Also that way you can work on something new you just love...

Hoping to post baby quilt photos sooner rather than later

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 01-10-2016, 05:28 PM

I'm thinking that I would be better off working on the larger UFO's at the beginning of the year when I'm all motivated and the smaller/quicker ones at the end of the year when there are so many things intruding on my time. But i could be wrong.

I love the idea of doing a little bit each day. The problem becomes space.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like good advice judy363905...
Kudos to the brave souls that have posted their UFO's...they say confession is good for the soul....
Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM

Just weighing in but please do not consider me the quilt police. I would venture to guess that anything older than a year since being worked on, would be, in my humble opinion, a UFO. I know it sometimes takes me a year to complete a quilt and that seems a fair amount of time. I know ladies in my Guild get one done about every 6 weeks and that is a total finish down to binding and label. I also do not count my kits that I have not even begun to cut but are waiting patiently in their box or bag. I have lots of orphan blocks and they too, do not go into the count. They may become a quilt one day but are not a 'begun project..per se. Would love to hear what others of you think but once again, being all different, we all have different standards.
On to other comments...Macybaby..(Cathy) (post 174).Wow! you are so organized. I think it would help to lay things out like you have done to see what all you have. I am envious of your wonderful organization. Judy in AZ..I like the idea of working on UFO's in small amounts of time. TKHooper, I am like you in that I have more time at the first of the year than at the last so early months are better for me to get things done. I am really trying to not start anything else until I finish at least one of my most recent projects. Took a class in October and I just may get the last two borders on tomorrow. Then will have to make the backing. I am still plugging away on my hand quilting 'UFO' but we don't watch movies more than twice a week and if I have to read the CC at bottom then I don't quilt as much. Love seeing everyone's resolve. Better quit writing before you all tell me to be quiet and get back to my quilting! LOL!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:30 AM

So many great project finishes have been posted. I enjoy seeing the pics and reading about everyone's finishes, please keep them coming!

As a result of using this weekend as "sew-mageddon", I have finished up another UFO! I truly admire quilters that can execute beautiful machine quilting! I find figuring out a design, and all that stitching utterly grueling, time consuming and an exercise in patience! But, here it is...imperfections and all!

I also want to say again a great big Thank You to all of you for your generous compliments on my Barn Raising wallhanging. It is probably my favorite project in my short list of completed quilts.

Here is the latest finish -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539906[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1476.jpg   dscf1477.jpg  
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 AM

VickieM: your boys' stripe quilt is so fun! I'm sure any boy would have fun checking out the surprises in there.

AUQuilter: I can't stop looking at your T/berries sampler made from bright fabrics. So neat to see a "traditional" pattern made in a different color way. Great job! And the bug jar is so cute, too. Lots of fun bugs to find.

Allspots: Another winner! I love everything about your baskets.

Judy 363905: Thanks for the 15-30-45 minute tip. I'll try that out this week. Hoping it will satisfy my desire to get UFOs done, while having fun working on the new stuff.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:21 AM

As I see it, projects become UFOs when there is some emotional disconnect at a certain point. Sometimes, I have finished piecing the top, but have no ideas how to quilt it and thus put it away until that decision is made. Sometimes I hit a problem area and don't know how to fix it, so I put it away to avoid making bigger problems or to ponder about fixing it. Sometimes the top didn't turn out as I expected and I don't like it; so it sits until I can decide what to do. And then I go on to work on something new, that I do like, especially piecing! And I forget about the ones that need some decisions. WIPs, on the other hand, mean the projects on the "front burner", things I have a sure purpose for or deadline, like quilt show entry or gift. That's just the view from my sewing room.....
Old 01-11-2016, 04:22 AM

what a cool wall hanging to go with your quilt. i love the idea.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 AM

My goodness, what a busy weekend here!

First off, Toot Toot to Allspots for her beautiful finish, her second for this month! I love your colors and your quilting looks perfect from where I sit. Congratulations!

And congratulations to AUQuilter as well! Two beautiful finishes from last year. Toot, Toot! Both are so colorful. The bug jar quilt really calls to me, especially with the quilting.

Thank you to Sandy for your input on what is/is not a UFO. I agree, anything older than a year that hasn't been worked on is probably a UFO. However, if you are one who generally starts and finishes a quilt in a couple of months and yours has sat untouched for 6 months, then you might consider that a UFO. As we've both said, no UFO police here so it's really up to you as to what is or is not a UFO. Unstarted kits I wouldn't toss into the UFO category at all. Thank you Sandy! Glad to hear you are working on your UFOs, too!

Judy363905, the advice you were given is sound, small time increments. I worked on a UFO for 4 hours yesterday and burned myself out. Now I don't even want to think about it.

Macybaby and Juanitabean, thanks for your pix and may I say, wow! Lots of beautiful projects to work on. Pick one and dive on in! Macybaby, suddenly I'm seeing the pp book and completed blocks everywhere. Those are gorgeous star blocks.

Thanks everyone for posting and keeping this train rolling along. FYI, as of yesterday, the count is 20 for the month. Great job! Woo Woooooo!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QltrSue View Post
As I see it, projects become UFOs when there is some emotional disconnect at a certain point. Sometimes, I have finished piecing the top, but have no ideas how to quilt it and thus put it away until that decision is made. Sometimes I hit a problem area and don't know how to fix it, so I put it away to avoid making bigger problems or to ponder about fixing it. Sometimes the top didn't turn out as I expected and I don't like it; so it sits until I can decide what to do. And then I go on to work on something new, that I do like, especially piecing! And I forget about the ones that need some decisions. WIPs, on the other hand, mean the projects on the "front burner", things I have a sure purpose for or deadline, like quilt show entry or gift. That's just the view from my sewing room.....
My opinion as well..

I admire all the wonderful finishes as I sit here mired in EOY accounting.....work calls...gotta go.

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-11-2016 at 06:06 AM.