Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 PM

Juanita Bean--cool baby quilt, I like the setting with the secondary patterns that are created, adds yet another layer of interest.

Merriam- what a fabulous use of old and new together. The yellow sashing makes the blocks glow.

Rob
Old 05-31-2016, 10:16 PM

Another great finish Rob! Plain border suits the sampler quilt and now it's done.

Juanitabean - pretty quilt - your fabric has aged well, 15 years, whew.

terriamn - both your May finishes are wonderful, I especially like your antique quilt, nice pattern to showcase the vintage fabrics,
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 PM

Default May UFO

Ok, I managed to squeak out one more May UFO finish. This quilt top is simple and has been sitting folded up in a bin for probably 8 years or so. Not sure why I didn't quilt it. But when I pulled it out I thought it would be perfect for our friends' 3 season porch back in la belle province de Quebec (the rooster fabric even has some writing in French). They have a lovely country home full of wood and antiques, but no handmade quilts. This one is mostly quilted on my Bernina with the walking foot, some handquilting was added around the roosters as I didn't trust that my FMQ would be neat enough, also the bumblebees in the yellow blocks are hand quilted. I made a stencil for the bees using a great line drawing I found online. I tried my hand at printing a label onto fabric backed with freezer paper. That went smoothly - no paper jams! I used the free Avery app to design the label on my iPad, they have great stock images/graphics you can use. I soaked it in Retayne (the label) before sewing it on - hopefully that will help prevent the printer ink from fading too much with repeat washings.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 06-01-2016, 03:56 AM

ohcanada - lovely finish. That will look wonderful surrounded by wood and antiques. They're sure to love it.

I also finished a UFO for may. I finally completed my DWR bed runner. What a challenge this was for me. I have tried that pattern at least seven times before actually accomplishing it. Not perfect but its done and I'm proud of it anyway though I would have liked it to turn out a little better
Old 06-01-2016, 06:57 AM

Congratulations on great finishes, Juanita Bean, Rob, terriamn and OhCanada! That is a beautiful group of quilts, each one so distinctive.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Oh Canada - What a great quilt. Your friend will love it. Congrats on another finish.

Elly66- Congrats on the finish. Do you have pictures?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 PM

Nice finish OhCanada! Love the roosters and the quilted bees.

Rob
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Beautiful, Terri.
Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Picture of antique quilt I finished this month. Janice this goes with earlier post
Old 06-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Toot, Toot OhCanada! Beautiful UFO finish. The colors and style and the quilting, especially the bees, are all lovely. Congratulations! And I love the roosters!
Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
Ok, I managed to squeak out one more May UFO finish. This quilt top is simple and has been sitting folded up in a bin for probably 8 years or so. Not sure why I didn't quilt it. But when I pulled it out I thought it would be perfect for our friends' 3 season porch back in la belle province de Quebec (the rooster fabric even has some writing in French). They have a lovely country home full of wood and antiques, but no handmade quilts. This one is mostly quilted on my Bernina with the walking foot, some handquilting was added around the roosters as I didn't trust that my FMQ would be neat enough, also the bumblebees in the yellow blocks are hand quilted. I made a stencil for the bees using a great line drawing I found online. I tried my hand at printing a label onto fabric backed with freezer paper. That went smoothly - no paper jams! I used the free Avery app to design the label on my iPad, they have great stock images/graphics you can use. I soaked it in Retayne (the label) before sewing it on - hopefully that will help prevent the printer ink from fading too much with repeat washings.

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Congrats, Elly66 and Toot, Toot. Perfection isn't all it's cracked up to be. Your sense of accomplishment is what really counts - that and the completed UFO.

Anyone else have a finish??? Calling all May UFOs finishes! This train is moving forward into June. I'll post May's tally in a few days to give any last minute entrants a chance to post.

Toot, Toot...all aboard for MAY!

Originally Posted by elly66 View Post
ohcanada - lovely finish. That will look wonderful surrounded by wood and antiques. They're sure to love it.

I also finished a UFO for may. I finally completed my DWR bed runner. What a challenge this was for me. I have tried that pattern at least seven times before actually accomplishing it. Not perfect but its done and I'm proud of it anyway though I would have liked it to turn out a little better

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-02-2016 at 01:17 PM.