Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 09-25-2016, 05:24 PM

Krisb, congrats on the finish. Beautiful quilt.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:26 PM

What a fun looking quilt, Rob. I know your granddaughter will love it.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:29 PM

Lovely top Krisb.
rryder love those colors. That binding really pops too. GD#1 is sure to love it.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM

So since items made with orphan blocks count as UFO's I realized I had one more that I could post that I finished on the 14th. I have been diligently cleaning and organizing my sewing room out for the last three months. I have been putting all UFO's together into bins with any fabric sorting my scraps and made a home for those orphan blocks. One of the first I found were some larger white and black four patches made with charm size squares. They stuck in my head as I had not made any black and white quilts. Along the way I found a big stack of left over charm squares and decided to sort by colorways. I noticed I had a bunch of them in the white and black the same as what was in the orphans. These were left over from a quilt that I had made some I had colors I had pulled as I didn't like them some extra. I guess at some point I started putting them into four patches but then just forgot about them?

Anyway I pulled all those charms I could find and was able to make a few more blocks but not enough for a very big quilt. I set them aside again and a month later found some of the white yardage and some red scraps and started to come up with something. then set it aside again. I had two weddings coming up and needed something for the second one and since it was a more formal wedding and the red I added from scrap formed little bow ties in the corners, I thought this worked perfect. I finished putting this together just in time for the wedding. So some orphans some new blocks made with left overs and I had a charming little couch quilt. Finished out about 60 by 60. All told this started last year in April and in fits and burst this summer become something new.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558931[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails webklair.jpg  
Old 09-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Oh what lovely additions. Congrats on the finishes.

I finished quilting the "Home is where the Haunt is" wall hanging and just finished the binding. I still have a few embellishments to sew on and then I'll post a picture.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:51 PM

And I have one more finished today its a sorta new UFO. All those left over charms I found that I sorted well I thought I would make them into some quick flimsies. I did two in the Starbright pattern. My thought was I could have some tops I could make into quilts when I had a need. In the end I made four tops and put them aside. Storage became a question as where would I store them and how. But then I realized after about 7 weeks or so that all I had done was make more UFO's and as they were sitting on my big layout table they were constantly in the way.

I have been arguing with several UFO's this year cause I no longer liked them and it was hard to finish them. My skills had improved so the mistakes annoyed me or the color. Or I no longer had extra fabric to finish them off. So I decided these new UFO's had to go why I still sorta like them and I had fabric that worked with them. So yesterday I basted this guy together did some very simple quilting and did machine binding. Now it's still ready to go to a new home when the right one comes along but I won't need to do anything other then fill out the label. I have the other starbright one basted and started to quilt it today so hopefully very soon it too can be posted. I need a better photo as the sun was setting but it will give you an idea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558936[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails starbrighwebt.jpg  
Old 09-25-2016, 07:25 PM

Altairss, nicely done. Congrats on the finish.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Slow internet tonight...can't see your finishes, but congrats on getting them done. I hope to get a big one finished this week...I did sew 2 denim charity quilts from start to finish the past 2 weeks...so I didn't create 2 UFO'S...now that's an accomplishment...have a productive week.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:36 PM

Default Ufo

this is not a quiltUFO, but a UFO none the less. First lined drapes for my sister. The lining doesn't really show.
Attached Thumbnails 5337.jpg  
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 AM

Altairss- congratulations on figuring out what to do with UFO blocks and charms. That black and red quilt is very striking. I also like the serpentine stitch you used on the charm quilt-- a modern take on crazy quilt style embellished stitching.

kwiltcrazy- lined drapes are quite an accomplishment, and a UFO is a UFO in my book.

Martina- can't wait to see the Halloween quilt.

Rob