2017 Temperature Quilt

Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
You ladies have tempted me into figuring out a small block, a block layout, and a final quilt layout for IF I were going to do this ................................. no, I must resist, still have hundreds of small mystery quilt units to make and assemble!!!!! But such a waste of time if I don't make it ............................ no, you have the upcoming Boom swap blocks to make. But it would be such a unique way to use up some scraps ............................. no you have a whole bin of blocks that need to be made into quilts. (I hope you guys read that in the voices of Smegal and Gollum)
C'mon. You know you want to join us. All the cool kids are doing it.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Well, I sure like this idea for a quilt but I'm still on the fence and haven't decided if I want to make one. How will you who are making this quilt tell the year of the temperatures? (on a back label....somewhere on the front...?)
I'm thinking of adding a key to the front like the one you see on maps.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 AM

Come on Kass. you know you want to join. It will be fun. I'm thinking of doing this, but I need to figure out a way to organize the colors where blue and green and purple are seen more than just a few times. So I'm thinking of reversing the color chart where those colors are the warmer colors. So far this year our temps have ranged in the near 60's to -4F. I live in a part of the state, if you don't like the weather, it will change in 3-7 days. Makes life activities so exciting. Where is Sunny California or Florida now?

FYI: Off track: Did you hear this last week all 49 states except FL had snow. Interesting weather.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 AM

A weather key is a great idea! We are in the middle of a "Pineapple Express" here in N. Calif. That means a warm storm from the S. Pacific. It is raining on the snow pack at 10,000 feet and causing flooding, avalanches, and mudslides. My road to work is prone to falling trees. But I will be home to sew by 4:30, loving this project.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 AM

This sounds amazing! I might play around with wind chill a bit too. We've been known to hit where Fahrenheit & Celsius cross (-40). Maybe a half-square & a quarter square together?

Probably best to keep it simple so I don't throw up my hands and quit during the process. : )
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I'm thinking of adding a key to the front like the one you see on maps.
Great idea! With the city and year too. What a quirky keepsake. : )
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM

Ok, well - I changed my mind on my design. Luckily it's only January 10th and not Sept 10th. I decided my HSTs didn't really convey the story of the temperature change very well and didn't really show enough of my fabric. My new plan is to use 1.5" squares. I will do a 31x12 layout for the high temps and a separate 31x12 layout for the low temps. At the end of the year I think I will join these two halves with a strip of sashing to make a single quilt. In that wide sashing I may applique or paper piece an upwards pointing arrow and then the words "2017 Temperatures" and then a downwards pointing arrow. Or I might just add flying geese . Or I might do something else. I have almost a year to figure it out.

So something more or less like this which will give me a reasonably sized wall quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565446[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2016tempquilt-version3.png  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:00 PM

If I do it mine was going to be more stylized. I had decided on a small drunkards path block w/ the high temp the outer part and the low temp the inner part, laid out in a circle. That would be 4 days per circle. Each of those would be in a 9 patch w/ a plain background (likely black) square in the center, (so 8 colored circles around a black square) each of those would be a month. (each block would be quilted in a concentric circle). Then the over all layout would be those monthly squares placed in a spiral arrangement w/ a solid background (most likely black). The quilting and spiral arrangement a tribute to my home state Oklahoma and being the center of tornado alley.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM

My newest ones, through today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565448[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tempquiltjan5-10.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:04 PM

I started on my idea, but don't like my scraps, thinking about getting a jelly roll or two w/ the warm and cool range of colors.