2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-04-2019, 01:51 AM

Happy Birthday Pet! My friend in Arizona loves working with the cork and has amassed quite a collection of it herself, but she has placed herself on no moratoriums.

I moved those purple blocks around for hours yesterday. Usually I would have made several extra blocks instead of just having one extra and I couldn't get smooth transitions or patterns to work with the fabrics I had. Realizing I wasn't going to magically or otherwise obtain perfection, I got a good enough layout and committed myself to it. I'm calling it "Dark Corners". One large diagonal corner of dark, opposite corner smaller amount, with the other colors more or less in diagonal color ways going across the middle/other corners. I like the way the consistent dark half block border units work with this. I don't believe any of the white-on-whites touch each other, there are a couple on diagonals.

Hubby is going to be home this weekend, we haven't set up our plans yet but not much sewing is expected. Still, Purple Quilt top is almost history and the bright wonky project will be starting next.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:14 AM

petthefabric, it sounds like you're doing great with the downsizing!

Iceblossom, those purple blocks are beautiful! You have a wonderful variety of shades there.

I have had a very off week with sleeping problems and lack of energy. Hope I can get out of this pattern and get something done today!
Old 05-04-2019, 04:19 AM

Yes, Petthefabric, you do have an exemption! Remember that last year we had exemptions for birthdays, trips far away from home, etc. I remember trading them to others, too, when we had an extra exemption that we didn't use. What fun! We also made "sinners" do push-ups as punishments for "misbehaving." What fun!
Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 AM

Happy Birthday, Petthefabric!!!! Go forth and splurge!!! Mine is tomorrow but I'm holding off on my splurge for a couple of weeks.... New city...new state...new LQS!! Woohoo..
Old 05-04-2019, 07:32 AM

Happy Birthday petthefabric! Happy Birthday Teen (for tomorrow)! Don't blame you for waiting to splurge in your new city.

Your blocks are lovely Iceblossom. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe I did this! After dinner I saw a FB posting of a closing LQS 60 minutes away that dropped her prices to $3 a yard. I quick washed my face, combed my hair, changed my clothes and took off! Not sure what was going to be left and knowing her style of fabric is a little different than mine, I went with an open mind. Okay I bought 108" backing fabric for $3 a yard as well as some French General, 3 Sisters, and even found a few blenders to use as backgrounds for scrappy fabrics. No confession as to how many yards, but I'm not April Foolin' this time. (I worked in my garden this morning...does that count as penance!) And I was so dumb I have a quilt half done on my living room floor that could use a backing and I didn't look for any...I may be able to find something...just maybe.

Oh and Teen...a GW pattern for $1. I couldn't pass that up. I guess I'm now committed to a JKingwell quilt. Wish she would have had Small World, but beggars aren't choosers!

I didn't take a BD exemption last December..so will take one now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-04-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Lol.....birthday splurge was a good one, Ok... Excellent JK pattern find. Those are over $20, typically. And $3/yd for 108 is amazing price... Yard work and long commute is good penance...

Just a note...I put a moratorium on groceries until we move. Lol...essentials only and eat what's in freezer. Tonight is fish...

Last edited by Teen; 05-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:02 AM

Happy belated Birthdays, Petthefabric and Teen!!
Rob
Old 05-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Well today's thrift store runs gave us many options... hubby picked up a couple pairs of shorts, I got a shirt and picked up a little ironing board, not the half size one but a tiny tabletop one smaller than that to take to my Mom's, she has one of the built in ones upstairs so it will be nice to have one downstairs where I'll be working. Couple of pieces of fabric yardage on tag day to fill out the one box. Looks like I am keeping one piece, I was suspect of it before I did my a burn test but it came back as cotton. It has a tag in a Cyrillic alphabet and clearly a hand written 2, we have a lot of Ukranians in the area... anyway it is a large swirly abstract floral print in mostly blues and purples and some brush strokes of white showing through, the fabric is a meter wide and 2 long. It is a stash add but cool!

Friday is Mom's surgery. I figure I won't go out on Tuesday, but will go Wednesday and be there all day Thursday before surgery on Friday. I'm going through my stuff, pulling out my portable sewing machine (note to self: bring extension cord just in case), etc. to pack the car. Will plan on being there for two weeks straight, and then home a couple of days a week until she's on the mend. Last year's surgery was major and took months to recover, this will be a much smaller procedure and my brother is living there now as well so I'm hoping it won't be months and months. I'd like to come home Saturdays to go bowling with the hubby Sunday morning, stay Monday and then leave after small group on Tuesdays if that works out after the first couple of weeks.

So I'll have the purple top to work on, that's already packed and ready to go. My portable sewing box has most stuff, I'll need to throw in a couple extra spools of thread and bobbins in different colors. I'll be taking out a cutting board and several rulers, my big pincushion is packed, a couple of boxes/bags of fabrics to work on, including the bright wonky 9-patch for the next project. Need to find one more set of project fabric which is collected in a bag somewhere (the little easter project) and I'll have plenty to work on, I also grabbed my middle of the night insomnia knitting project just because.

I've also printed out a list of my passwords and such, I don't know if I'll be posting from there or not. If I disappear for a bit -- I'll be back when I'm back home!

For those that travel with sewing often, give me any hints/reminders of what to take
Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Happy birthday, Petthefabric and Teen.
All the quilts are looking good. MY FMQ isn't going well. I think the batting is just too thick. I have taken out way too much. I'm ready to start calling it good enough or it won't be in my suitcase on Thursday. I have meetings, Dr app'ts, PT for my shoulder and a massage this week so it's time to finish it up.
How do you keep the suitcase to 50 pounds when it weighs 11 pounds empty? The quilt seems heavy, too. Ah, well, things will work out.