Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Pamela, this group is pretty loose. Whatever goal you want, we'll encourage you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
    Although owners of fabric stores might not be pleased, Iím pleased to have so many joining the new moratorium.
    OK, your older fabric is now Ďretroí & could be perfect to make quilts for those kids of the 80ís! Both of my kids would fit that category.
    I've already got a container that I store these fabrics in! Once in a while sneak them into scrappy quilts as well!

I was so proud of myself today...I walked out of the store today and resisted the finish a bolt 40% off sale...know I could of found something for backings for future quilts, etc, but decided no I need to get the tops sewn first! Although I did cringe when a customer bought the whole bolt of a couple of really neat black and silver pieces....I just sighed and measured the yardage and made out the sales receipt!
    Last edited by oksewglad; 12-28-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Pamela, this group is pretty loose. Whatever goal you want, we'll encourage you.
    And Pamela...some of us get donated fabric and we have to learn to say "no" to that as well....sometimes it just overwhelms me and I don't see any progress!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I'm in and started today. I managed to make 2 tops already with fabric in my stash, this includes the backs. I did not buy fabric for two veterans quilts (which have to be quilted and bound by lunch on 12/31. i had to buy 1 fabric for a 3rd veteran quilt but cannot find it so used something else for borders. I have lots of projects to finish and will probably not need to purchase additional fabric, plus I have barely started Good Fortune and bought one orange fat quarter for that quilt. I have tons of scraps so will probably make more of Bonnie's designs.

Pamela, any reduction is a good thing! When we go on a food diet we donít stop eating completely, right? What we do try & accomplish is not buying just to put the fabric in our stash. Shop your stash first & use all you can for a project from the treasures from your own shelves that are waiting to be put in a lovely project. We all run out of some fabrics eventually & have to replinish. Just be mindful of your purchases. Designers will always make more lovely fabric to tempt us.

I finished one quilt today from stash fabric and started another. Also have started making string blocks to use up my unending bins of scraps.

I’m definitely in then. I went crazy buying fabric as a new quilter and now have plenty of fabric. Hubby is going to help me put shelves in the sewing room closet for fabric. I’ll find out as I organize just how much fabric I have. For sure I need to stop buying fabric just because it’s on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    And Pamela...some of us get donated fabric and we have to learn to say "no" to that as well....sometimes it just overwhelms me and I don't see any progress!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
    Pamela, any reduction is a good thing! When we go on a food diet we don’t stop eating completely, right? What we do try & accomplish is not buying just to put the fabric in our stash. Shop your stash first & use all you can for a project from the treasures from your own shelves that are waiting to be put in a lovely project. We all run out of some fabrics eventually & have to replinish. Just be mindful of your purchases. Designers will always make more lovely fabric to tempt us.
    ďBe the change you wish to see in the world.Ē
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Getting organized definitely helps you see what is on hand, Pamela. Plus, I don't know about you but, for me, clutter in my creative space drives me nuts. Lol... Have fun...one of my favorite past times is organizing my quilting space.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I'm in. I need nothing in the line of fabric - just time and motivation. I had two Christmas finishes - a wallhanging that only the backing was from stash, so I won't post it. The other was a baby quilt. All I purchased was 1/2 yard of the fishy feature fabric, so here it is. Both battings were from stash. The picture in on its side again.

Name:  20181222_111357.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  1.34 MB

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I am in and Teen, i have projects scheduled for all of 2019. Will need to figure out if I have anything for the larger pieces needed for the Bali Wedding Star, but that is months into the future.

The best thing about being with the moratorium is that it makes fabric purchases purposeful, not impulsive. Fabric manufacturers bring out new lines all the time, and they donít stay long. And they are so beautiful! Every so often there will be something simply irresistableóa panel or one gorgeous print. If the coordinating fabrics are available in my stash, ďsplurgingĒ on one perfect fabric is OK by me. Or a particular shade is low in stash, and a few FQís are required for a quilt. That is also OK by me.

Backs are usually pieced, but once or twice a year there is a perfect backing fabric. And BH quilts, with all those tiny pieces, can really cut through the scrap collection!
    Last edited by Krisb; 12-28-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I'm in again!

Welcome everyone. I have really enjoyed this thread the past couple of years but have been very lax about posting my quilt tops. I bought quite a few yards of blenders on Small Business Saturday but not all of them were from my LQS. I also was given boxes and a huge bin of fabric strips that was purchased to be used in rugs. I will be using some of the fabric in string blocks. I am hoping what I can't use will work for handles on diaper bags for a baby charity where I volunteer. Otherwise, I am not sure where some will be donated. Like Oksewglad said, sometimes we just need to say no to donations. I just haven't been successful this fall. LOL!

Great use of stash, Irishrose2.
    Connie

Count me in, too! This is one of my favorite threads. I love seeing all the projects members are working on by shopping their stash, and it has been a great source of inspiration to do the same myself.

In conjunction with the moratorium, I've been working on getting the UFO pile knocked out, trimming down scraps into precuts for my scrappies, and getting rid of any fabrics I will likely never use. My long-term goal is to get both my stash and UFOs down to a single bookshelf, and my precuts into a set of Ikea drawers I have, so I need all the encouragement I can get!

I'm in.

I did change how I bought fabric in 2018, but in 2019, I'm committing to the fabric moratorium. I have let my fabric subscription lapse and have snoozed buying and selling fabric Facebook groups, so that I am not tempted to buy fabric just because it's pretty. Like JJBlaine, I am planning to concentrate on finishing my UFOs.

Pearl, I like your avatar.

Someone mentioned getting stash + ? into 1 bookshelf. I don't think that'll ever happen here. I've got 6 bookshelves of fabric and another of books. Then there's bins of not-cotton, art fabric. And 3 deep shelves in the linen closet and a couple shelves fabric in the studio. I'll probably find more. So, if I can reduce it by 10 yds/month.....maybe I should aim for 100 yds/mo. I think that would eliminate 2 shelves this year. Then by the time I'm 80, we can downsize our house.

I certainly need self-control and encouragement.

Oh, by the way, over Christmas, we went camping and had to check out the store in Scotts Valley. Found 2 pieces at 50% off for backs and I can match from stash for the front for charity.....rationalization. Can I use vacation excemption? Or just admit...before the year even starts, I've lost my footing.....help, I need a hand up.

Thanks, petthefabric. It's one of my ufos.

I am definitely in! First is organizing what I have as it is so crazy in my sewing room. And that includes all my magazines.

Well I went at it yesterday and pulled all my fabric out, sorted it by color, re-folded it and put it back in the closet. I cut up small pieces into 2 1/2, 3 and 5 inch squares and put them on bags or boxes. Any unfinished UFO's went into plastic bags, then into a tote. Now when I feel like working on a project, I just need to pull out a bag and go at it. It feels so good to open my closet door and can see everything I have and know where it is.

Blog Entries
    Iím in again this year. I did really good last year and even made a dent. Iím really trying to work on More Scrap quits. I started Bonnie Hunterís mystery quilt ( Good Fortune) and pulled everything from stash. I cleaned up and organized my shelves. I do not have a lot of yardage left....but still have a lot. Scrappy will be the theme. Or at least Sampler- lots of variety in projects. I have a couple large totes of scraps I really wish would shrink- no matter how much I pull from them they never seem to go down! Magical things. I also have a large tote of flannels- and denim need to make some raggy quilts.
    so many projects so little time.
    along with the moratorium on buying Iím also going to concentrate on finishing UFOs.
    here is my cleaned up shelves, my pulled stash for the mystery quilt and my scrap tote.
    Sometime this weekend I hope to organize UFOs
    Attached Images Attached Images

hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Petthefabric, the moratorium doesn’t officially start until Jan 1! So no exemptions are needed yet. I just wanted everyone to prepare mentally for the upcoming fabric fast.

Blog Entries
    I'm in too. I need some encouragement that I can do this. I bought way too many kits from Craftsy this year during their sales. My big struggle will be when I go to my LQS and try not to hit her $5 clearance cart, and "buy it all" horse trough. I should be set for years.

Irishrose2 that's lovely. I'm in again this year as well. Every year I do a little better but still have room for improvement.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    I'm in. I need more time than fabric. and my dream pattern list is stacked 12 deep. Help keep me sane and focused on using what I have, please. This is a great group!

.....help, I need a hand up.
    Here ya go petthefabric-- grab hold and hop back on board the wagon!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    I'm in. I can't resist buying things on sale with no idea what I will make. The next quilt will come out of my stash! I may have to buy a little extra for backings, etc. I also need to use my scraps or gift them to someone who will, maybe a local quilting group that does scrappy quilts. I found enough black flannel in my stash to back the quilt I'm making now.
    I know what I thought I was making when I started this quilt, but it has changed several times since then.

I'm in again this year. Man, has this ever helped me to shop from my stash first! Thanks.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast