Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    I'm in, I too need the encouragement not to shop. My motivation is flagging and I've turned into a fabric collector. And, my collection is bursting at the seams. I probably have enough at home (barring backing fabric) to make at least 10 quilts or more. So, I need to get moving. I also need to get moving on the UFO's. I received $200 in gift cards this Christmas. So, I am going to save them for as long as I can. I actually have them ear marked for my Christmas gift for next year.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Okay.......I'm joining again for 2019......I will Not purchase any additional fabric unless it is necessary to complete a quilt that is in the making.

My first shop stop will be in my sewing room...I have plenty to pick from and many of the fabrics have all the associated fabrics in the same line.

Like many of us, I have plenty of quilts to make and the fabric to go with it! Happy sewing everyone for 2019! ! !

(for your information...I'm also doing this in other areas of my life.....I'm using up all my soaps, bath/shower gels, lotions, etc. BEFORE purchasing any new.....)

Gotta simplify, simplify and simplify some more!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-08-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I am in! I have a very bad habit of loving to buy fabric. I have more than I could sew in 3 lifetimes, but when I try to clean it out, I find I love it all. Bad sickness.

Irish....beautiful finish!

Everyone is so focused! Good luck to us all as we navigate through our stash this year. I know it will be tough for me with moving to a new region and all the new LQS that are there. I've been to most of them already and purchased using travel exemption (but not a lot) but being there every day now will really test me. Note to Teen: Stay focused, girl.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I'm with you, Jennie. Count me in!
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    I am joining! I have so much fabric that it's coming out of my ears! I need to try to reduce my stash and get my sewing room organized.

I’ve spent the last few days sewing strip sets for a new quilt, Unwind. I did buy 4 FQs to increase my color range in the strip sets, plus some WOW (white-on-white) to complete the triangles needed. I did buy more of that than I needed. I asked for 1 yd then splurged & finished the bolt (7/8 yard) at 50% off. I only really needed 13”. But now it’s there for all the other quilts I plan to make this year, so it will be used. Other than those purchases, all other fabric is from my stash-some remaining WOW & several FQs & remnants I bought a few years ago because I loved the soothing green tones. I even found some coordinating strips of the correct size in my boxes of left-overs! I guess that’s a good thing about mostly buying in the same general color family.

1screech, don’t clean it all out-use it to make beautiful quilts! You love the fabric, right? Then you’ll love the quilts you make from it, too. If you’re tired of some of it, join a swap group here on the board. You’ll get new-to-you fabric that could jump-start your creative process. Let’s make some projects with our stash, everyone! That’s what we bought all this fabric for in the first place, right?

I'm in too!
    I did pretty well last year in only making purchases in order to finish a quilt in progress. Nothing purchased just for the stash. I need to dive into the stash closet for a backing for a lap quilt. I'm not even reading emails from quilt shops just so I won't be tempted. I may need to buy some batting...does that count against me?

Blog Entries
    I don't think a batting purchase counts against you, after all you need the batting to complete the project. I have several rolls of batting in my batting closet. I need it all for quilting on the longarm. I am hopeful that I have everything I need for many many upcoming projects. I have 13 sorted into artbins waiting for me to start on them. I am going to strive for 1 kit a month, and maybe even more. Last year I made 43 quilts of various sizes from king to baby quilts, several queen size. So hopefully I can repeat that effort this next year. The whole goal being to reduce stash.

ckcowl-Love your organization and everything looks so nice. Love how you did yours by color. I think I will try and follow along on this thread and get some scraps used up. Just looked up a ruler I want-Creative Grid-the 8" crazy quilt templates. Anyone have one and like it? I think I will wait until MSQC has free shipping and I will order it.

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    When I'm sad, excited, lonely, bored or just looking is not a good time for the LQS.
    Waving my hand, me too, me too! Well, not so much the excited, but the rest. Retail therapy. Rolling my eyes. I have been a lot better the last couple of years. Getting fabric out of tubs and into a closet where I can see it made a huge difference. Not only bc I can see what I have when looking for a particular color, but bc I can see that, oh my gosh, I have so much!

Have barely sewn a thing for several ,months. Moved to DD's while remodel at home was happening. It was a win/win: I didn't have to listen to or see most of the mess, and while there I took care of baby grandson. Now I am home, he will start daycare Weds. Still no sewing, most of remodel is done, but the few little things that need done are dragggggging on. The whole house seems to be a wreck with things out of place.

Most mornings, I look at a couple of sites that have daily specials. Rarely do I buy anything. I might even put it in the electronic cart and leave it for a few hours. But at the end of the day, I most always decide against it. Unless I'm upset - that's when that line above hits!

Blog Entries
    Well....both my favorite sites had 50.00 gift certificates for 40.00 so I bought them with the thought that I’d have that limit for the next three months. There are a few fabric lines coming out that I’m really excited about so this way I can get some without overspending to buy the whole fat quarter bundle. I’m also thinking if I do some project planning, I can keep myself busy with the fabric and projects I already have.
    ďBe the change you wish to see in the world.Ē
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Barb2018, batting doesn’t count against you...UNLESS you have a full roll or 2 already lurking in your closet! Seriously, any batting or backing needed to complete a quilt is okay. Our goal is to NOT buy fabric just to add to our stash. Some people solve the problem of buying backing fabric by making double-sided quilts or piecing the backs of their quilts. Just be sure to shop your stash before buying new fabric. I know many riders of this train have enough fabric to make several quilts with no new purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Iím in again this year. I did really good last year and even made a dent. Iím really trying to work on More Scrap quits. I started Bonnie Hunterís mystery quilt ( Good Fortune) and pulled everything from stash. I cleaned up and organized my shelves. I do not have a lot of yardage left....but still have a lot. Scrappy will be the theme. Or at least Sampler- lots of variety in projects. I have a couple large totes of scraps I really wish would shrink- no matter how much I pull from them they never seem to go down! Magical things. I also have a large tote of flannels- and denim need to make some raggy quilts.
    so many projects so little time.
    along with the moratorium on buying Iím also going to concentrate on finishing UFOs.
    here is my cleaned up shelves, my pulled stash for the mystery quilt and my scrap tote.
    Sometime this weekend I hope to organize UFOs
    See this is when I know I am in trouble and need help, when I look at those pictures and think, wow, I would love to go shopping through those, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
    I know many riders of this train have enough fabric to make several quilts with no new purchases.
    Several???? I don't want to know how many I could make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    Several???? I don't want to know how many I could make.
    I have a collection of 108...yes 108 quarter yards of Kona solids (27 yards of it!)...don't ask ?'s please....found a quilt I thought would make good use of them...

https://oliverands.com/shop/digital-...m-pattern.html

Oh did I say I can make several from this idea--instead of 5" cuts I may make them bigger, but how much should I go?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    I'm in too! Did better last year than the year before. Hope to improve even more this year!
    Thank you Conchalea for hosting!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Finished baby quilts

Name:  IMG_20181230_153539502.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  164.1 KBName:  IMG_20181230_154047196.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  206.8 KBTwo finished quilts entirely from stash fabrics. Another quilt cut out and ready to piece.

So so cute, Linda! Great job on stash use. Love the striped fabric on the elephant quilt. My weakness..stripes and polka dots. You are off and running...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Great use of stash, Linda! I like the bright colors.
    Princess, I’m glad you’re joining us, & thank you for having hosted past fabric moratorium threads.

One thing I did this year that has encouraged me to keep quilting was to buy a big roll of batting. This way I don't have to run out and buy batting whenever I get a quilt going and more economical than buying individual packages of batting.

Count me in for 2019. I find I have to make a plan for my fabric, and set goals with them so I don't go off the deep end of buying fabric just because. Now, that being said, I'm not one to drop big bucks on fabric. Seriously, for me a big purchase is 60 bucks, and I rarely do more than 30 every few months.

My plan includes:

-giving away scraps in my guessing games
    -selling fabric I don't think I'll ever use
    -finding free patterns and making up my own kits for quilts
    -making pillowcases for charity and my home (I like a variety to change out every few days)
    -use some for home dec pillows
    -reducing my stash by 3 dresser drawers in 2019

Count me in. I want to use my stash rather than leaving it to others. Also, I have had a reduction in my "bonus" retirement income, so really need to use what I have on hand.

LindaJane; wonderful

Blog Entries
    gran of 6 and LindaJane, Great fore thought on buying the batting ahead. I know you will both use up what you have.

Zozee, that is a great plan you have. I love the idea of kiting your projects. I would probably get more done if I did that. But, probably not, lol, I have several CT kits waiting for me to make the up. But, there's always hope, right. lol And, I'd just like to get all my stash in one dresser by the end of 2019. Right now, I have one dresser full, 2 Ikea bins full, and some decorative boxes with Christmas and Halloween/Fall and one with small prints for dolly dresses. And, one small chest with novelty's. Yes, I have some serious stash issues. I need to get sewing!!! I have no business buying any fabric!!

I too need to make up a few pillow cases this year to match a few quilts I made last year. And, I think I already have the fabric in stash. I don't usually keep too much yardage. Unless it's lt gray or white on white. Although, I stock piled some backing fabric this year. So, I need to finish up those UFO's and get to using that fabric up!

Gran of 6, you also mentioned working on your kits. I always enjoy seeing your finished projects.
    Last edited by Judith1005; 12-30-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast