2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM

I bought some fabric for the back of my quilt. I bought what was left on the bolt-all they had. By itself it isn’t enough for the entire back, but it’s perfect & I’ll piece other fabric to make it work. Now, climbing back on the wagon. *sigh*
Old 01-03-2019, 05:03 PM

I think you did good, Conchalea, even though you ended up purchasing. You've got plans for it so all good..

I went to my LQS to say goodbye to them and they were so sweet. They gave me a couple of notions and 3 FQ's as a gift...the FQ's will be added to one of the projects I kitted for this year so all good. Pretty proud of myself for not buying anything. I'm packed and ready...
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Good job, Teen! Enjoy your adventure of moving to a new state. I’ve ridden through parts of Idaho when I worked at Yellowstone in 2011 & 12. I love the geology of that area.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 PM

I toured JoAnn's today and purchased nothing. It's in the mall with my physical therapy, so it's hard not to go in when it's a 50 mile trip. I do need a small amount - a yard maybe, for the light part of an X and Os quilt for my granddaughter's colllege graduation. I have a blue layer cake from Northcutt, but I need something interesting to coordinate. My son called tonight and he's buying me a plane ticket to NM, so I'd better have that quilt in my hands. Not sure of the pattern, but I think she'd like the 'Hugs and Kisses' name.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 PM

Teen: Exciting time! That was a sweet gesture on the part of your LQS.

I tallied up my usage amounts last year and it was close to 111 yards. I am especially pleased since most of that yardage was only used in quilt tops to be donated to my church group. I can't find the receipt for my last purchase so will need to add totals for that area when I find it. I probably came out even for out/in because of my purchases and donations but it's not feasible to keep track of the donated small pieces and orphan blocks or the gobs of rolls/balls of strips that were donated from someone's rug making stash (many usable strips for quilts; others will be donated.)
Old 01-04-2019, 03:50 AM

Conchalea, your purchase is justified if the fabric is going to be used in a project you are working on right? I think you’re safe.

Teen, I forgot you were moving...how exciting! I’m sure it will also be hard to leave the friends you have made. Best of everything in your new home, neighborhood and state.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Thank you! I have a lifetime of friends I'm moving away from, which is really difficult, as well as family but we are very excited as are they for us. New adventures!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Well, my Craftsy order of the backing fabric came, so now I must get busy and finish the top. So now I don't have any excuses for not making it bigger.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 AM

It's so hard to resist some of the new collections. There are two new blue and white collections. My hands are itching, but so far resistance has worked. Now, if only there were a moratorium on glazed donuts! Keep hangin' on, friends.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 AM

Yes, I love blue and white too, and red and white, and grey and yellow..... I have several blue and white jelly rolls and layer cakes that need to be used before I fall victim to any more collections.

Yesterday I got a couple rows assembled of my 30s repro. I also pressed the FQs for the next project. When Craftsy had their big sale I ordered a queen size kit. I thought I also ordered backing, but when it came it was 2 kits of the same. So I ordered backing the next day when they had fabric for $3 a yard for both kits and gave one to my best buddie for Christmas. We are going to get together and make them soon. She lives an hour away so she comes and stays for 3 days so we can have marathons of sewing, much to her husband's chagrin. But we have fun.