2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-05-2019, 05:37 AM

Coopah, keep telling yourself ‘there will be other fabric collections’ to help you stay on the wagon. Search your own collection for blue & white sets you can use in a creative way. I also tell myself the fabric looks better on the computer monitor than it does in person. I actually found this to be true of a green fabric with gold metallic swirls that looked great on my monitor, but when I saw it in the store the green was different & not as pleasing to me. I was glad I didn’t order it.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Well, dang. I fell off the wagon so hard that I had to go finish my Christmas chocolates.

Really, the majority of the $ was on a used serger. I want to make a few pieces of clothing. Right after I figure out how to use the serger, lol. But I also bought a FQ bundle (on sale) from a line that is a couple of years old. I saw it featured in a free Valentine's pattern and was off like a rabid coon to find it. At least it was on sale.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 AM

Going into the lion's den today - the LQS - to look for a light lime green to go with the blues for my granddaughter's college graduation quilt. I know Northcutt makes what I want as I have it in a charm pack, but I have no idea if the LQS has it.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Congrats on the new to you serger, Peace and Joy. I love mine. I am on my 3rd serger, wore the others out. I used to make my gkids layettes and all their little shirts and pants for daycare. Now I just make nighties for me, and fleece throws for a charity. I don't consider necessary tools a part of the moratorium. After all we need the proper tools to use up our stashes. And the FQ was on sale, so I will allow you that.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM

OK...let me see if I can justify this... I bought a charm pack because these are the fabrics used in a pattern I will be making. I love the original colors of the original design but I know I have many of the colors in my stash...so, I bought the charm pack to use to match up with stash colors for the pattern. I didn't want to buy the 15 yards of various fabrics from the collection and the charm pack will help me match up with my stash. I'll use the charm pack, too, but it was really bought for this reason. I do this a lot when I like the colorway of a pattern. Charm packs are great substitutes for color wheels or paint lstrips. Make sense? Lordy!

Congrats on the new serger. My new neighbor has gifted me with a brand new Babylock serger. She bought it for her daughter and daughter never used it. So, I'll be learning what these machines can do and offer me in my quilting world.

Last edited by Teen; 01-05-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Teen - I like your idea of buying a charm pack in order to pull fabric from your stash. I go by the pics on the internet, but think a charm pack would be so much better. Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Irishrose2.....stand strong, girl!!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Teen - I like your idea of buying a charm pack in order to pull fabric from your stash. I go by the pics on the internet, but think a charm pack would be so much better. Thanks for the idea!
You are so welcome! You'll find this so much easier and a huge time saver. Besides, you can typically incorporate the charm pack, too, into your project.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Okay, gals, I'll fall for that excuse too. My problem is that when I see a charm pack that I like, I consider what it will make, not much, so I usually end up buying the layer cake because I can get 4 charm packs out of it, therefore a larger quilt. And that means more fabric for backing, more fabric to coordinate with it, and then that means more stash to fit in the closets. So no more precuts for me for a while. I wouldn't want you to know how many I have.

Well, the top is together and ready for the outside sashing strips.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Well I suck.

i traveled to a nearby Lqs yesterday to buy a gift (40 minutes away) and caved and bought a 30’s fq bundle while I was there. The only defense I have is that I didnt own any 30’s fabric and I really like the 30’s patterns I’ve been seeing. I feel like I need to get busy and plan a project for that fabric now. I’m discovering that I have poor impulse control.