2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 PM

IrishRose2: A prayer has been sent your way.

I stopped at a LQS today and didn't even look at fabric. One of the employees was asking my son if he liked Game of Thrones because he was looking at the quilt. I didn't blink an eye as she said it. I was on one mission only and that was to pick up a CD for my 'new to me' Janome 12000. I have had the machine since Thanksgiving week and have only used it once. Oops!
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 PM

IrishRose, good luck with your surgery. I am a 4 year survivor of BC, with double mastectomy, radiation, and reconstruction. Then 2 months after reconstruction I got an infection around one of the implants and had to have it removed. But I survived a very tough year. Just hang in there and know that life CAN get better. It was about 3 or 4 weeks before my surgeon let me sew, but once I could make my cancer quilt out of Hunks fabric I was able to move past the trauma and get on with life. Every day I wake up and thank the heavens that I am still here. As a way of thanks I make lap quilts for the cancer center to raffle off to the chemo patients. And it is a great way to bust the stash.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Irish, good luck with your surgery. Keeping you in my thoughts. And good for you, keeping to your planned purchase!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM

I’ve completed the Unwind top just now. I figured I used 18 FQs & 1 1/2 yards of patterned white, so the top has 6 yards in it. It needs 4 2/3 yds for the back + more for binding. In total I think it’ll be about 11 yards. All but 4 FQs were from stash & I had to buy another 2/3 yd of white & 3 1/2 yd for the back. I’m still over on the more from stash than new purchases. I haven’t taken a picture yet but will post it when I do.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Good luck Irishrose2. and gran of 6, what a wonderful way to pay it forward!

I fell just a bit...finished off a bolt--3.5 yards at the LQS. I've been eyeing it for quite a while, too and it will be a perfect background fabric for a bunch of solid quarter yard pieces I have...Thinking of making the same block with different solids and the gray and white as a background for each block.. I do have a plan!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 PM

New fabric for a planned quilt sounds good to me, OK.
I found a thread started by Tartan a few years ago, Start to Finish. She’s shown fabric pulled for a quilt, then later the completed quilt. It’s very cool to see how another quilter combines fabrics. So please show us what you bought! It will either satisfy our urge for new fabric or send us into a buying frenzy!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Irish, have added you to my prayer list. Nothing but the best wishes for your health and recovery.

Concalea, That is interesting about the Start to Finish. I will be going to look up that thread.

I haven't purchased any fabric to date. But, it's only the 6th. lol Early days. I do need a new cutting mat soon. So will have to make a trip to JoAnns. But, will be putting off for a bit. Will have to make sure I'm in the middle of project with all the supplies sitting out to give me incentive to stay the course.

Stay strong ladies and gents. Keep shopping your stash.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Unwind flimsy-finished!

This is my Unwind top completed. About 10 days total to finish. The only place large enough to display it for a picture is the curtain set on my dining room windows.
I put in 2 pink blocks for a pop of color. Notice anything about the top left one? I accidentally cut some white pieces in reverse, and decided to use some for one of the pink blocks for some more interest. Some of the other pieces are in 3 orange blocks which I'll put in a table runner.
Attached Thumbnails flimsy2sm.jpg   flimsysmall.jpg  

Last edited by Conchalea; 01-06-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Great quilt Conchalea. I love the visual interest of the pink. And, the happy accident of the turned pieces add personality. Great job! It's bright and cheery.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Nice top, couldn't see any happy accidents from here.

Well, my first project of the year is ready for the longarm, will get to that later in the week. Next project will be another Craftsy kit. I'll get all the pieces cut and then wait till my quilting buddie comes so we can make our matching quilts together.