2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 AM

quiltmouse that puts a different meaning on your post

Ok sounds like so much fun!

Teen I love your hexie flowers. Looking forward to seeing your quilt.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Teen, your hexes are very pretty.

For the last2 weeks, I have not bought any fabric. Yea! The sad thing, I so in the mood to buy fabric. But i’m Staying strong. I’m Just organizing UFO’s and stash, scraps to finish ufo’s. Almost finished a pink ufo baby quilt. Over the next 10 days will start and completed another pink baby quilt from stash. No store buying for that project. Cut out and sort this week and quilt next weekend. Back to sewing.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:38 AM

Great self control, happylab. We have to keep encouraging each other in order to shrink our stashes and the only way we can do it is not to buy anymore and to sew as fast as we can! You are doing a super job! If we continue to pet the fabric, cut, sort and sew we will succeed!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 AM

Well, I pulled out 4 layer cakes of kids fabrics to make some baby quilts to have on hand. I will send a few to a friend who doesn't have any baby quilts on hand, and can't afford to buy fabric for them. So the stash is getting busted. I have 2 made from one layer cake, just have to quilt them, they are all ready for "Bob", my longarm. And I have another one, maybe 2 laid out to sew together this afternoon. I found the backings in my stash so no shopping for them. There is one that may require a trip to the LQS, but I will hunt through the stash first. And I have some jelly rolls of pastel prints that will make good baby quilts too. I can whip at least one a day out.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:51 AM

OKsewglad turned me on to the Simplish Quilt concept earlier in this thread, with help from others like AUQuilter in a link and such. It instantly appealed to me as "simple but effective", and a great way of using various collections of fabric that may have a theme but not necessarily go so well together.

This was one of the first ideas I had using the concept. I am using 4" (finished) squares, 4x8" rectangles and 2" sashing. I learned a lot, wrote down some notes, sizing, and concepts and will be making more! This one I'm calling "Here Kitty, Kitty" and most of the interest fabrics came from my circa Y2K fabric swapping, all of the large jungle leaf fabrics were another swap. There is always one piece of fabric you get multiple times and the black background with tigers I had 5 squares and while I've used many others from that swap I had some tougher ones to use. I did have to buy the jungle print with the pandas in it... but I have already confessed to that and am sending the remainder to the crumb quilter. I didn't have quite enough of the cheetah/leopard print and part of me would have been happier to just have the little rectangles between the squares and large rectangles be print and all the sashing black, but then I'd still have some of that print left -- and now I don't!

Edit: Eeep! Wrong picture, that one was in progress.
Attached Thumbnails simp-kitties.jpg   here-kitty.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-03-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Here's the other thing I was working on this past week, Preemie quilt from my Walmart buys. The purple pin dot was $1.00/yard, the precut package was $1.00 but I was just set on having the border all the large print so it required two packages -- and this one was already designated for my crumb quilter! I set forth visiting Walmarts to no joy and then I saw a posting on this board that Tuesday Morning had precuts and I knew where two of those were. On my first one (after two Walmarts) I found another package of the exact strips I wanted. I paid $3.50 for the pleasure but that's still half off MSRP.

I'm going to make another one, this one vertical stripes instead of horizontal. I will use a great fabric I have from that wonky bright quilt for the borders of that one, all others will be from the rest of the first package of strips, including the leftovers from the border fabric. Had I known in advance I'd make a second quilt, I'd have fabrics from both in both... but this will be close enough. Gives some separate identity to twins, often one of whom comes home before the other, while keeping a consistent look.

Edit: The strip set has a bright white on white that will be used for binding on one of the tops. I have a similar piece still left in my white-on-white box that I can use for the other one. If not, I have other white on whites that will work! The flannel will be used for the back of both quilts -- lucky me I went over on the yardage of that one from what I thought I needed so just enough for two!
Attached Thumbnails wal-preemie-1-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-03-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
OKsewglad turned me on to the Simplish Quilt concept earlier in this thread, with help from others like AUQuilter in a link and such. It instantly appealed to me as "simple but effective", and a great way of using various collections of fabric that may have a theme but not necessarily go so well together.

This was one of the first ideas I had using the concept. I am using 4" (finished) squares, 4x8" rectangles and 2" sashing. I learned a lot, wrote down some notes, sizing, and concepts and will be making more! This one I'm calling "Here Kitty, Kitty" and most of the interest fabrics came from my circa Y2K fabric swapping, all of the large jungle leaf fabrics were another swap. There is always one piece of fabric you get multiple times and the black background with tigers I had 5 squares and while I've used many others from that swap I had some tougher ones to use. I did have to buy the jungle print with the pandas in it... but I have already confessed to that and am sending the remainder to the crumb quilter. I didn't have quite enough of the cheetah/leopard print and part of me would have been happier to just have the little rectangles between the squares and large rectangles be print and all the sashing black, but then I'd still have some of that print left -- and now I don't!

Edit: Eeep! Wrong picture, that one was in progress.
Love it when we can take one idea and move into another direction with it! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:04 PM

Have lost track of #yds moved out of stash. Right now I've finished 7 quilts to move onto charity quilts at the guild. Approximately 44 yds.
The LQS had a going out of business last weekend....managed to drive right by. Yesterday, got notice, the LQS has been purchased and will reopen in August. The next closest is 1 hr drive one way. It's nice to have a source for necessities, just have to avoid adding to stash.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:09 PM

I need to make another wedding quilt. I think I have some fabric that might work in stash. Trouble is, I purchased it for me and will have a hard time giving it up. Decisions, decisions. Moda Ombre Confetti Metallic is the line. I love it!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

That's a lovely line of fabric, Irishrose2. Do you have FQ, jelly roll, or yardage? Please share when you finish it!