2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Into the fabric store I went!!! I came out with what i wanted - 1/4 yard of sunflower print. I will try to pull the other seven fabrics needed from my stash, if not Hobby lobby will do. The bride to be is a sunflower freak, as is her mother, but decorates in shades of gray. I'm going to try to come up with gray and yellow. Green/yellow sounds so dated for a young person.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:48 PM

I was cutting out a quilt for which I had chosen a dark gray background some time ago. All of the fabrics other than the gray are pastel. As I looked at it, I thought that a lighter gray would have been so much prettier. Before the moratorium days, I'm sure I would immediately have gone to the computer to find and order a light gray. But since I am now moratorium-trained, I decided to sleep on it, and the next morning decided the dark gray would do. I suppose I'll wonder now how it would have looked with the lighter background, but I know one thing -- it will have good contrast!
Old 06-22-2019, 04:16 AM

Just returned from vacation. We went to Texas from Iowa for a family wedding. Stopped in Kansas City for the Quilt show loved looking at all the beautiful quilts and was able to resist buying anything as it was very crowded and didn't have unlimited time. We did stop at some shops on the way back and I acquired 3.5 yards of fabric two pieces that will make up into quick baby quilts and the other will make a good blender. My daughter has been hitting the Walmarts around town for the $1.00 fabric most of it will be cut into 5 in strips for the sew-in at the Iowa State fair. Our guild makes quilts at the fair for children's charities and some will be made into bags for Operation Christmas Child boxes so won't stay in the stash long. I finished piecing a quilt yesterday and we have a lot of rain in the forecast this week so may be able to get some more sewing done.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:58 PM

I know how hard it is to walk away from $1.00 fabric. I got lucky (for my moratorium goals) that by the time I saw my Walmart's clearance it was pretty much gone. Between that and missing the quilt show due to illness, I have stayed on the wagon - at least lately .
Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 PM

Had to go to Hobby Lobby for 3 pieces - 1/8 yd each - for the spicy Spiral. The rest is from stash. I had lots of yellow, but only one piece of gray. So less than $2 and it will go from the washer to the cutting table so nothing added to stash. Works for me.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:51 AM

Playing with stash and scraps....avoiding quilt shops.....decided on a pattern for these and all from stash...including backing...
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Wow, those are great. congrats on shopping your stash.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM

Congrats to everyone on avoiding the stash packing trips and using as much as possible from the stuff we already have.

I resisted the Walmart sell-off completely (I hope!) I haven't gone to Walmart for the past few weeks for anything, and I haven't heard that our Walmart to eliminating their fabric department, so I've avoided temptation. I am planning to buy a big roll of batting from them on the internet using their free shipping to my house, so I won't go near the place until the danger is over!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Ooof! I am exhausted from breaking the fabric moratorium again, the thrift stores have been too generous.

Yesterday we went to different bowling lanes than usual since our normal place was having a fundraiser, so we stopped off at some different thrift stores. Got bags/yards worth of fabric and still left a lot behind! Two Windham digitally printed deer panels for $1.49 total. Two bags of about 6-10 yards of mixed mostly 80s stash, $3.99 each. Red tag day (half price) on a piece of vintage. More.

Today I went to the Goodwill I usually go to on Sunday, just in case the red tag Singer Sew Handy toy machine was still there (wasn't) and I got enough of a solar print for the back of a twin quilt that wasn't even on sale but was still less than $10.

And then finally on the way home, I stopped at the Joann Super Store. I pulled stash fabrics for one of the Simplish quilts I'm going to do and am about 5 rectangles too short from what I want, so I bought a half yard of fabric so I could use those others from the stash. No matter how much I have, it seems I'm always a piece short...

Since we went to that other bowling lane we also dropped by a different Walmart on Sunday. That one had already made the transition out of mostly yardage to mostly pre-cuts and nothing there was on sale. Even assortment packs that were discounted at other stores were still full price. Stay strong, SillySusan!

Edit:

What happy Hexes, Teen! This last week I did send out a box of polyblend hexes from the 70s to a different person on the board. Not from my stash though, one of my Tuesday ladies
Old 06-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I've been gone for a while and have missed lots of posts...Teen's got a good start on her flowers..good project for you while you wait!

Have a busy 2 weeks ahead, but plan on kitting up some baby quilts for the Grands to work on in mid July...will have 3 machines and 4 young sewers to stitch things together....better get started at fabric organization.