2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 AM

JJBlaine, you got a lot done with a fractured wrist! It sounds like the moratorium mindset served you well; force of habit is a great ally (if it's a good habit, that is, LOL).
Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 PM

JJBlaine: Great way to use up your fabric!

Darcyshannon: I am struggling with how to sort also. I have been working off and on for a few years sorting fabric into colors. Then a year ago, I started sorting my blues into bags by width. I have one box of darker colors, one of medium, and one of flowers, butterflies, turquoise, etc. I still have 2 more big tubs of blues to sort through but that will be another time. I now have boxes of other colors too which have bags labeled with the width sizes so when I need a certain color, I go to the box and look through the appropriate bag. I also have scraps thrown into their color tub that will need to be sorted eventually too.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 PM

I follow Lori Holt's method for the most part with smaller than a FQ scrap size; however, I have two future projects I am collecting scraps for so I cut the specific size needed for those and store in designated project bags. I hope to design something better when I organize my future sewing room. It's difficult to stay disciplined in any organizing attempt..at least it is for me. Lol..
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 PM

I'll be back on that wagon SillySusan, I only got enough for the one quilt. I was a good girl LOL
Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
I'll be back on that wagon SillySusan, I only got enough for the one quilt. I was a good girl LOL
Good for you, Diamondee! You are indeed a very good girl for fighting that temptation!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM

I know I’m super late with this. But, I recently had hip replacement surgery Jan. 29, 2019. I had already bought some backing for a quilt that I planned to make while recuperating! LOL! Haven’t been able to get upstairs to machine. Have fabric and tools on my dining table to cut out but difficult to sit/stand there for long periods of time. Anyway, all that said, I do want to accept the challenge, if I’m not too late! I haven’t bought any fabric since mid January (backing for quilt). I desperately need to begin sewing some of the room full of fabric I already have-both quilting and garment and not buy any more! I’ve Been tossing JoAnn’s sales in recycle since I can’t get to the store and hoping this will help me when I’m more mobile again to not go unless its for notions or thread. Thanks for your consideration and reading this super long post!��

Last edited by Plee1053; 03-02-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:26 AM

I've finished my flying square blocks and will be working on the border next. It will be another 3 rows of the little squares, there will be duplicates in it.

There are two pieces of the background that are inside out, I caught the mistake in time but decided to leave them in. LOL I've never had to deliberately make a mistake to keep me humble, always plenty of them.

I've rather enjoyed working with this concept of a block. With the modern machine my friend gave me, I don't mind the partial seams, the thread cutter keeps the tail ends down wonderfully. I think I'm going to play with some other variations of this, I have a medium-large kid's animal print that I think would make a good center square instead of the 9-patch for example. Or to have the center of 9-patch and the backgrounds the same, and an assortment of strong colors for the other squares would make sort of a turning gear look.

With the way I set this computer up, I don't seem to have a lot of options to manage pictures (I've gone through the FAQ on it), and I'm working at getting a picture small enough file size.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:00 PM

I, Plee. I just joined the moratorium a short time ago; it's never to late to join. I hope your hip heals quickly so you can start getting at that stash! I have found the decision to stop buying fabric very liberating.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Hi, Plee....welcome aboard....Hoping all is well with new hip. Been there done that. The stash will be there when you are ready. Perfect time to strategize!
Old 03-02-2019, 04:27 PM

(oops, that was meant to say 'Hi, Plee')