2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-27-2019, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
Yes, I used Steam a Seam 2 for a Laura Heine collage pattern. It was very easy to work with and I used almost a yard and a half.
Which LH pattern did you make? "Abilene" found it's way to my house..
Old 02-27-2019, 05:52 AM

Everyone is doing fantastic! We are at the end of our 2nd month, and I have only bought 3 pieces of fabric, all were for backings, which I have already used, so I am proud of that. I am working on Metro Rings using my Grand Traverse Bay collection and a bolt of fabric from the stash for the background. I already have the backing for it, so the quilt can only get just so big or I won't have enough backing. I know I'll never find the fabric anywhere because it is about 2 years old. The next quilt is already in my brain, and all the charm squares are in my stash, will worry about backing when I get to that point.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 AM

I applaud you, Teen. You set a great example for the rest of us. And you were rewarded not having to dig for your fabric!

grann of 6, I'm eager to see your Grand Traverse Bay quilt. That was a pretty fabric line.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 AM

I would call that a justified exemption jmoore. Glad you enjoyed the class.

Good job Teen searching for that fabric instead of buying some.

Oksewglad I used steam a seam 2 on a McKenna Ryan pattern. Wonderful stuff to work with.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Oooo-kayyyyyy, I lasted 2 months. in my defense LOL I purchased backing that will be used on a current UFO, because that is my other goal for 2019, 108" for $6.yd I just couldn't pass that up.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
Oooo-kayyyyyy, I lasted 2 months. in my defense LOL I purchased backing that will be used on a current UFO, because that is my other goal for 2019, 108" for $6.yd I just couldn't pass that up.
But, how many yards did you buy? If it was only enough for the backing on one UFO, it's probably permissible, but it you bought a bunch, ... well, it looks like it will end up in your stash. I think you may want to climb back on this wagon!!!!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:10 PM

I'm glad to see everyone bolstering each others' efforts to stay on the wagon! People are doing a great job of resisting temptation-Teen, you set a great example by digging into fabric boxed for moving in order to avoid buying any new fabric! I have a top I've finished, but I don't have a backing for it. I feel a necessary purchase will happen soon. I do plan on only buying fabric for the back & binding. Wish me luck!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures, Teen!

Anyone used Steam a Seam2? Brought some home for a new project.
I have used Steam2 and do not like it. For me, it gums up my needle more often than not but others use it with great success. I haven't used it much since I turn edge but I keep a small supply just in case. It's a hit and miss for me...you may not have any problems..
Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 PM

I joined then 2014 moratorium and can honestly say I have only bought one piece of fabric in all this time. I just got it at the Willamette Valley quilt show this month. I still have an embarrassment of stash. I am hoping to reduce and rehome as much as possible to save my DDs the effort of hauling it off when I am gone.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I have used Steam2 and do not like it. For me, it gums up my needle more often than not but others use it with great success. I haven't used it much since I turn edge but I keep a small supply just in case. It's a hit and miss for me...you may not have any problems..
LQS has these...just new..can't wait to try it.

https://www.schmetzneedles.com/categ...ick-Needles-69

The Abilene pattern calls for the SaS2...going to check my stash for 3 x 22 inch pieces for Abilene.

madamekelly..5 years is inspiring!