2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-14-2019, 08:39 AM

I've done very well (I think) on not buying new fabric this year. I did have to get a couple of pieces here and there to work on projects and I did buy $24 during the Walmart dollar a yard sale. I'm currently using one of those pieces in my current project, and I used 3 yards in the back of my post card quilt. I do have plans for the other two pieces.

From the start I did give myself a thrift store exemption. Sometimes there are things I can't pass up or that inspire me, like the bright bag that led to the Wonky Bright top, the Seahawk Pink top was all in a bag pre-selected for me, or now I'm going to do the Bonnie Hunter Frolic mystery with those hand dyes I just got (along with dying some more yellow out of my solid white I bought at the end of the year last year). BTW, I'm doing the hand sewing part of the binding for Seahawk Pink, it's almost ready for donation. I used the serpentine stitch feature and was very pleased at the ease of it. Fortunately the Bernina waited to be fussy until after it was done.

I'm probably much fussier about what I take home than it seems and I leave more than I take most days. I am consciously asking myself whether I can actually use that fabric with something I have and not just taking it because it is there. Last week I could have done some real damage to my budget, some one had turned in all sorts of great musical themed fabric on black backgrounds, dog fabrics, a couple other themes in nice big pieces of yardage. I did pick up a piece with large goofy dog portraits (probably to be used as a back but just needs a frame to be the front) and a fun animal print "big enough for a back" and turned my back on the rest. The old me would have come out with 20 yards of music prints!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:40 AM

It will be very easy for me to do since my machine is in the shop. But seriously, I'm a new quilter and have heard many quilters comment on how much stash they have. I have a little bit and will take on this challenge into next year. I have several projects to finish and I'm fairly positive I have the fabric for them. I would like to continue with this as well. Use what I have if it works. I don't have a large storage area anyway. I admit it is hard not to buy some gorgeous fabric but I'll stay out of the quilt shops for a few months.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:42 PM

Iceblossom, it sounds as if you've been very mindful about the purchases you have made this year. If we're going to make quilts, we need fabric. It's that simple. Many simply need to follow your example & not buy it just because it's there. You are a good example for me.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:43 PM

I did fairly well for the 1st 1/2 of the year. Then I got carries away. Buying backing, batting, and fabric on Missouri star fabric company birthday bash. I couldn’t resist $6.00 a yard for batik. I really enjoyed the day. Actually went to all of the stores for once. Most of my recent purchases are for a particular project.

I must admit, I do check my stash 1st before I buy new fabrics for projects. So based on this I’m in for next year.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Other than backfilling colors needed and a couple of kits, moving mid-year and limited sewing helped me stay focused. I took the time out to kit up projects for next year so I think I'm good for next year, too. I may have fallen a couple of times due to "oh...isn't that pretty" syndrome but not too bad and not a lot of yardage either.

Conchalea...thank you for hosting and, if you are up for it, it's appreciated that you are offering to lead our way next year. Hope you are on the mend...

gran...caught myself the same head cold and it was the day the movers showed up with our stuff. Ugh! By the end of the day, I could care less where they put anything. Lol... Not fun...feel better soon.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Other than backfilling colors needed and a couple of kits, moving mid-year and limited sewing helped me stay focused. I took the time out to kit up projects for next year so I think I'm good for next year, too. I may have fallen a couple of times due to "oh...isn't that pretty" syndrome but not too bad and not a lot of yardage either.

Conchalea...thank you for hosting and, if you are up for it, it's appreciated that you are offering to lead our way next year. Hope you are on the mend...

gran...caught myself the same head cold and it was the day the movers showed up with our stuff. Ugh! By the end of the day, I could care less where they put anything. Lol... Not fun...feel better soon.
Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
We're approaching the end of this year's moratorium. I wasn't always successful, but I did purchase only for specific projects. Unlike Oksew, I didnt keep a tally for fabric in & out. I don't think of it until I finish a quilt, & it's too hard to be exact after the fact. I have made several quilts this year, so I feel successful in that aspect. Unless someone else really wants to host the moratorium for next year, I'll continue in the role if that suits everyone.
I have cut most of my Solstice fabric for the quilt I'm planning. I've only sewn 2 blocks though, because a severe sinus infection had me down & out for an entire week. I hope to get back into it this weekend.
Your offer is most appreciated. I will be joining again next year with the hopes of doing way better on the buying home front. While I did okay, and made much less purchases this year. I still need to work harder on the impulse buying. I truly need to use up way more then what I have this year. I have so many plans for new and UFO finishes next year using as much stash as I can. So thank you for offering to lead us again.

The support here has been wonderful. And, I have appreciated the humor with the falls off the "fabric" cart.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:04 PM

Well, my doc is great, I called in this morning and told them I think I have bronchitis. They were kind enough to call in a prescription for a Z-pac, so hopefully I am on my way to good health. Every time I walk through the living room to get to the kitchen I lament the pretty blue quilt patiently waiting for quilting. I hope by Sunday I will feel good enough to get some quilting in.

No shopping here, although I do have a 20% off coupon on my next purchase of full price fabric. I think it will be a while before I use it. I need a clear plan of what to buy to fill in what is in the stash.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 PM

This thread has inspired me to keep going. My impulse buying is very close to in control. Still have way too much stash. Starting Jan, I'll keep track of the in/out #. With surgery in late August, pain before, recovery after, the last 4-5 months have been very little progress. Living 1 hour from LQS's has certainly helped. And not being able to drive myself has helped.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

pet, I have found keeping track has been very therapeutic for me in both buying and using fabric. Buying...more accountable for what I need, using...the satisfaction of using that fabric I liked and just had to have. Just don't loose the notebook or whatever you use to record it Maybe next year I will use a spreadsheet instead of doing it by hand. I don't loose the laptap!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Now that the year is getting close to the end my question is How many of us have fallen off the wagon and how many times? I consider I did pretty good but did fall off 5 separate times. The most recent was a mistake. Something I ordered months ago and was back ordered finally came in and the cost was way more than I expected . Ode to working with a new company when I shouldn't have been buying fabric to start with. Now mind you I have made a dent in my stash this year and it is a substantial dent. The quilt on my studio floor right now is all fabric from my stash. This continues to be my plan for 2020!