2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-09-2019, 07:35 AM

I made a quilt for a friend one time with her dad's shirts. Never would do that again. It is so hard working with different weights and types of fabric. I had a lot left and asked her what she wanted to do with the leftovers, she didn't want them, so they got trashed. Never was so happy to see that fabric go. I guess that is one reason I don't prewash fabric... I like the feel of the fabric unwashed, and will wash the quilt after it is done.

I am trying to make a list of projects for next year using only what is here in the stash, not being very successful. I guess I do better flying by the seat of my pants.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:43 AM

I caved on black Friday. I bought a bunch of precuts for future scrappy projects. I needed to freshen my stash with some new colors and prints. I tried not to go to over board.

I did finish 5 UFO's tops that just need quilting.

And, I organize my whole stash (minus scraps) into 2 single chest of drawers. They are only 3 and 4 feet high dressers by 2 feet wide by 18" in depth. So, not too big. But, they house my entire fabric stash. I was trying to get it all down to one, but, it didn't work. So, I purchase the smaller of the two dressers recently to empty out a few decorative boxes that I had fabric in. I knew I was over buying and buying duplicates because fabric was hidden from my sight. Now, I can just pull a drawer open and know at a glance what I have and how much and how much room I have. I like the drawer system of storing my fabric, because my sewing room is on an enclosed and climate controlled sunroom. This way my fabrics won't fade to nothing or rot the fabric.

So, I am hoping this will help me keep my purchase mindful next year also. I am definitely hopping aboard the wagon again. Maybe in the future, I will be able to get my fabric all into the slightly taller dresser. Who knows, but, I will keep trying.

Now, I also need to go through my quilt books and see if I can donate anything back to the thrift store. I'm starting to overfill on books again. I bought quite a few this year. I love that you ladies really make me stop and think.

Yeah, I know, the pre-cuts were an extra without a plan yet. Especially since my sewing will come down to practically nothing as I will be busy babysitting my grands in another part of the country. I really am looking forward to seeing them. But, I will miss not sewing as much.

I am preplanning a hand embroidery project that is a UFO to take with me. Maybe I will get all the center blocks finished while I am there. That will be exciting.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Here is one closet why I need to be in the moratorium:[ATTACH=CONFIG]620749[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1030035-resized-closet.jpg  
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Another closet is batiks, Christmas fabric, and yardage that has a precut to go with it. The 3rd closet is all fabric on bolts standing upright, plus some artbins of scraps sorted in strips.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Pleased as punch here...just finished cutting 5" squares for our guild Christmas party...24 sets of 26 squares equal 10.3 yards of fabric taken from my stash. Scary thing I know I won't miss it. The pin cushions I put together So far my totals for the year are 86 yards in and 133 7/8 yards out for a total of 47 7/8 yards of stash used! Yeah.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 PM

I caved and ordered a blenders fat quarter bundle and 3 yards of solid metallic gold fabric that I don’t have plans for. The fqb was on a great sale and I am always needing nice blenders for the boom swap and I’ve never seen a solid metallic fabric before and love the idea of having it to go with fabrics that have the metallic accents in them. I used a gift certificate that was a Christmas present to pay for them. Now to find room in my closet...
Old 12-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Sue, I always love seeing your stash. This time in looking, I realized, your stash in this closet is brighter then I thought you quilted. Go you!!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Awesome job Ok. You are doing fabulous.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:20 PM

Great going OK. Pamela, Sometimes we just need a little bit of something to add to the stash to make it more enjoyable to use.

Yes, I have a large variety of fabrics, the bottom shelf on the right is full of prints that originally had been intended for dresses for the DGDs, but that never happened, so I have been going through them and using here and there. Most of them are only about 3 yards or less so not enough for backings, but they will get used this spring, I am determined. I also have a good sized stash of Civil War FQs in a couple artbins. I have a few blocks made, but got sidetracked on those. So they will be another project for next year. I have some books for making Civil War Sampler quilts. I think that will be fun.... if I can clear out some other stuff first.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

In Nov-Dec, I've kitted ~70 yds for charity quilts.
Also did two quilts totallying ~12 yds. Will give a total at end of Dec. Then hop on wagon again in Jan. Still have x000 more yds to go.