2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-09-2019, 05:43 PM

Grann......I just want to roll around in all that closet lusciousness...jus saying..
Old 12-09-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Pleased as punch here...just finished cutting 5" squares for our guild Christmas party...24 sets of 26 squares equal 10.3 yards of fabric taken from my stash. Scary thing I know I won't miss it. The pin cushions I put together So far my totals for the year are 86 yards in and 133 7/8 yards out for a total of 47 7/8 yards of stash used! Yeah.
Rock on, girl!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
I caved and ordered a blenders fat quarter bundle and 3 yards of solid metallic gold fabric that I don’t have plans for. The fqb was on a great sale and I am always needing nice blenders for the boom swap and I’ve never seen a solid metallic fabric before and love the idea of having it to go with fabrics that have the metallic accents in them. I used a gift certificate that was a Christmas present to pay for them. Now to find room in my closet...
I don't count blenders, Pam, in my moritorium. It's the focal fabric I have a major addiction to. My over all stash is small because I try to use every bit of scrap following each project for a 2nd or 3rd project...or whatever to get rid of it. Lol...That means I use up blenders, too... So, you get a pass from me....but that gold metallic one...oopsers!

Last edited by Teen; 12-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Conchalea..
Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Yes! Congratulations!! How did d you track your inventory? I started in January but wasn’t finding it easy to track the output. Or to keep a running total of fabric bought.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:30 AM

Well, today I am going to attempt to take an inventory of precuts and kits/projects in artbins. Taking inventory of yardage would send me to the looney bins, plus I'm not sure I can count that high. I am thinking this will give me more incentive to reduce the stash. And any new fabric that falls into the house will be documented. Not that I am intending to purchase any, but my friend that I quilt her quilts pays me in fabric. She is currently housebound taking care of her DH who just had knee replacement surgery a week ago. He is a large man, so I'm sure he needs a lot of help getting around. So she isn't getting much sewing done, or any fabric buying.

Teen, I love opening the closets and just taking in the beauty of it all.

w
e
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Yes! Congratulations!! How did d you track your inventory? I started in January but wasn’t finding it easy to track the output. Or to keep a running total of fabric bought.
I haven't gotten to the point of using a spreadsheet, but I have a handwritten list that's written in my LA notebook. Counting total of what's bought? Look at your sales receipts to keep track. And, yes, the using part is harder and a little more time consuming.
If it's a large quilt with pattern yardages one can use those figures. But I usually add up the amount of width of fabric (wof) cuts (in inches) in each quilt and divide by 36 to get yards of each fabric.
When it's smaller projects, like the pincushions I made...The base was 4.5 x 5.5" or 24.75 sq inches rounded up to 25 sq in. I used one for an inner lining, one for backing and one for the top (I didn't figure in seam allowances). So that's 3 x 25 = 75 sq in per pincushion..I made 27 x 75 = 2025 sq in. Using 1512 sq in in a sq yard (42 x 36), 2015/1512=1.33 yards.

Then it's a simple calculation of fabric bought minus fabric out...hopefully a negative number. The total amount of fabric in stash is irrelevant to the figuring. We want to reduce that amount, so no beginning inventory is required.

I hope this is clearer than mud! I think this is the third year I have done this. Like every habit it takes time, the very first year I started, but didn't keep up, so I have 2 solid years of verified stash reduction.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:34 AM

It is unlikely I would ever consider doing an inventory by how many inches of each fabric I have. That for me is a terrifying though! That I am able to annually sort through by colors is an overwhelming task. I have kept purchases to a minimum with this thread reminding me I don't need more fabric. I have been quilting continuously from my stash most of the year and that is the best thing of all. I only made purchases, except for the penny sale, that I did not have available in my stash. Admittedly this has kept me in order! That is what has been most important of all. And saved a whole bunch of money!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:41 AM

Ok - thanks for the info. I was going to have to figure out how to calculate certain fabric usage on smaller items.
I made it past Black Friday with only a bundle of quarter cut yardage 2.5 yards but it was $4 so how could I pass that up? Cyber Monday was far harder but I still did alright. Between the two days only the 2.5 yards - thankfully I don't count patterns and books and tools on my moratorium. At this rate I will have to soon if I keep this up.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:47 AM

Well, my way of keeping track of outgoing will be to measure the fabric before starting (if I can remember) and then measure what is left, if any. It won't be any exact measurement, but close enough to suit me. Right now I am more concerned about using up all these precuts. I certainly reduced them a lot this year, but still have too many. I am weak-willed when I see a collection I fall in love with.

I certainly have been more mindful of my purchases since joining up with you gals. I guess that is the purpose, to help support and encourage each other.

I haven't gotten to the inventory part of my day yet, but I got all the quilts trimmed and binding made. So I have 6 big quilts and 2 baby quilts to bind. My friend will do some of them once she gets over her cold and can get over to pick them up.