2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-25-2019, 01:21 PM

The graduation quilt is all ready for the longarm, will do that this weekend. Tomorrow a friend and I are going to the Hershey, PA quilt show, and my Great Dane is spending the day at Doggie Day Care.

I played around with a couple Snail Trail blocks to see if I like them. I am using Jenny Doan's new tutorial and a layer cake of Blue Barn. I have backing and border fabric so there will be more leaving the stash without having to buy anything. Now to just stay strong at the quilt show and come home empty handed.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:42 PM

I am so proud of myself! I went to JAF today and didn't buy a thing! I had planned on getting some EPP templates but they didn't have what I needed. The other thing I needed I needed to get at a hardware store in the plumbing area. I needed some very large nylon zip ties. I got the very longest I could get and they should last me for a very long time with the project I have in mind.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

Going to dig through stash for a Christmas wall hanging destined for a wedding gift...must be done by Sat night and I work tomorrow...get going girl!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:50 AM

I kinda fell off the wagon this past week... I purchased some more fabric, but in my defense it was four of the 108" backing fabrics for the last two completed Saturday Samplers from last week and the one from this week. Also included in that is an Around the World my mother put a request in for my sick Uncle. This one is king sized.

With what I am getting rid of from my stash, it is still managing to continue growing. My friend sent me a trash bag full of 5-1/2" squares and a twelve pic set of embroidered horse heads. The ATW is out of the squares--mostly reds, blues, oranges and greens. I just need to check my stash for a little bit of a border. That should not be a problem. I cleaned house this week, so I should have no problem getting the rows sewn together this weekkend.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-26-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 AM

If you get to Demming, NM shop at "Sew and Sew", she has great southwest fabric.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 AM

It's funny how things happen and how life interconnects. With my vision issues I get audio books from the library, often they are on hold for weeks or months before they come to me. The night of my last post I got "Every Tool's a Hammer" by Adam Savage (of Myth Busters and now his own show), which I thought would be more of a biography. Turned out to while yes, have some biographical info, that it is an exploration into the world of creativity and being a "Maker", which is how Adam describes himself when people ask him "what do you do?".

I started my career in advertising and I know the challenges faced by people who are forced to be creative even when you don't feel like it. It's really nice for me that my quilting is a hobby and I can just do things on whims and not other people's demands. While I found the whole book interesting, the last half really spoke to me. He talks about how he plans on several iterations to get something close to what he wants. He talks about the right tools for the right job (and he has fabric scissors!), and the necessity of a clear space so that his mind has room to work. There is also a bit about scheduling and imposing self-deadlines.

Anyway, today I'm going to finish up sewing and pressing the first pieces of sashing on the Postcard blocks, I'm about 1/3 done. I'm going to go to a quilt show today and a different one tomorrow. Goal is to have the Postcard blocks done so I can take them to group on Tuesday and pin on the second pieces then.

From the book I am motivated to begin work on my paper pieced blocks that have been holding me up for my Farm/Barn quilt. I have plenty of fabric to make several blocks each and always intended to do so. While I would like to start them on Sunday, probably will be spending the day with the hubby, it's our usual date day and then he is going on a trip next weekend. Monday I have a doctor's appt in the middle of the day. Tuesday is small group and farmers market. So if I haven't started before then, I will start sewing Wednesday morning!
Old 07-27-2019, 08:45 PM

Have lost track of the stash busting yardage I'm doing with comfort quilts. I think this week it's just under 20 yds and haven't bought in at least 2 months. Now everything fits on the shelves. Will have shoulder surgery this next month. DH helps set up the LA. Being careful, I can quilt withoutt hurting my shoulder. Hope to get another 10 quilted before the surgery. And my sister will come to help me, she's fun and encouraging.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:10 AM

Congrats, Pet, on getting your stash down to all fitting on shelves! I have miles to go to get there. And, more congrats on having such a nice hubby!

Here's a prayer that your surgery goes well, and that your healing is quick and pain free! Keep us posted.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:55 AM

way to go Pet! and best wishes for your shoulder surgery!

Rob
Old 07-28-2019, 06:28 AM

Excellent work on your stash, Pet! I hope your shoulder surgery goes well.