2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-18-2019, 04:50 AM

Teen I agree with Susan and Ok. That's not too bad a fall and not even a fall technically since you're using immediately.
Hope you stay strong Ok as that's a great sale. Oh my....
Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 AM

I'm off to the LQS. I need sashing for the sunflower wedding quilt and I have no gray - just a few scraps from the table runner. I'd like the quilt shop to have some in clearance, otherwise it may be back to Hobby Lobby. Wish me luck.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Success. I found an Robert Kaufman fabric in clearance that will work. I didn't buy anything else! I did ask if they had the Dream Big panel in red, but she looked confused - like she didn't know it's available in red now. The answer, of course, was no so I didn't have to be tempted.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:45 PM

Good news, Irishrose! So nice to hear that you give in to temptation to shop while there.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:42 AM

Well, I have a new project to dig from the stash... DIL called yesterday to invite me to a graduation party for DGDs high school graduation. So since I made a quilt for the others when they graduated I had better do this one too. She likes pink and also grey, so I went through my jelly roll stash and found 2 jelly rolls of Porcelain, and I think there is yardage for the backing too, so I am going to make up Jenny Doan's pattern Crosswalk making it closer to a queen size so she can have the quilt forever. I was going to make some sort of a star block, but since I am not sure how much this will be loved and appreciated, I am not going to that much work. Some kids are raised to have a love and appreciation of handmade gifts, others not. This one comes in the NOT category. If her mother is given something she doesn't like, it goes to Goodwill. I have been witness to this several times. There will be love sewn into the quilt but not a lot of effort. And the stash will get a little busted at the same time. I'm not sure how much backing there is on hand, so I may have to do some creative piecing, or shopping, when I get to that. I have till Aug. 10th to get it made, no problem there.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I have finally tallied fabric in and out. I had a huge fall back earlier (52 yards) when a LQS was selling fabric for $3 a yard. With all the quilts I made for Nebraska I am at +4 1/4 yards. But wait my Grands were here sewing last week and each made a kids size quilt top...haven't counted them as i count when finished. Whoo hoo! haven't down loaded pics yet, but I will.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:46 AM

Good going, OK. I personally think we are somewhat obligated to shop when fabric is on sale. I very rarely buy fabric at full price, unless I need it for some specific use. But if we don't shop the sales, someone else will get that fabric, and the store might not do well enough that they need to close. We don't want that to happen.

Oh, my collection I am using for the graduation quilt is Poetry, the colors are about the same as in Porcelain, the flowers are just slightly different in style. I have 6 3/4 yards of backing fabric, which should be enough, so 2 more jelly rolls and nearly 7 yards of fabric leaving the house is a good thing, I think.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Well I fell off the wagon again. This is the second time since I came to this forum. I couldn't help myself the first time, the deal was just to good. JAF had that sale for a penny a yard. I got 140 yds for $1.40. I couldn't pass it up.
This week I ran into a problem where I did not have a light background batik. I needed 2 different patterns so I had to make a purchase somewhere. So online I went and of course I just had to pick up a couple pieces that were on sale at the same time just to get the most bang for my buck. So now I am back on the wagon and hope to stay on the wagon for a very long time. My challenge is to quilt from my stash. It is hard to believe I didn't have something in my stash. I don't know how to shop for just a single piece of fabric. 140 yards is a stash of its own The other pieces were just plain gultony.

Last edited by juliasb; 07-20-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh this will be a lovely quilt...love 3 Sisters fabrics, too, gram of 6
Old 07-20-2019, 06:12 AM

Getting some stash busted every month while reorganizing the sewing stuff. It has certainly helped to keep to the moratorium as I organize, sort and make decisions about keeping or cutting for scrap quilts. Interestingly enough, the more I bust the stash the more motivated I am to not linger over incoming fabric emails. I will head out to New Mexico this summer on vacation and have decided to stop at a quilt shop or two for southwestern fabrics. I like to put "where I have traveled fabric" in scrap quilts or on the back.