2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 AM

I had my BFF visiting last week and it was absolutely delightful. Barely did anything sewing related, with my insomnia issues I did have a morning with a bit of fabric.

Last Sunday we went bowling but there was an inspection going on and they weren't quite ready for us so we went across to the Value Village where I found the bag of the Indonesian trip treasures Someone had sent in a major stash and there were multiple (8-10) bags of fabric. I got out of the store without buying any and went bowling but one bag just stuck in my mind so I went back to buy it. There was some nice yardage of rayon I won't be keeping. Several nice fat quarters of batiks, a UFO of 4 completed blocks, a couple of partials, and a bunch of fabric in lovely dark purples and blues, and to my great surprise, some recent scraps from the Benartex Cat-I-tude line which I will be using in my upcoming modern quilt.

House looked good for the visit but that means some things were just stuffed into the sewing room. Time to unstuff them and find a particular piece of blue floral I want... while most of my fabric is in pretty good shape I have I think three boxes of blues that need attention badly. More blue than anything else in the stash.

Still haven't really committed to the "next big project", but it looks like the Postcard quilt will get finished up next. Once I get the top together and see it, I'll decide on the border. The quilt is going to be one row wider and longer than I originally drew up on EQ, think I used a 4" border. This size if it isn't going to make the quilt too big and I think I need 6" -- plenty of fabric either way. Once the top is done, then the back needs to be pieced out of miscellaneous maps and large scale prints. And once that happens, I have a lot of fabric to declare surplus! I'll have one less project box and one less box of assorted fabric.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 AM

I am continuing with only buying fabric needed for existing projects. The mailman mentioned the other day that I seem to have slowed down with my fabric purchases, LOL.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Yeah, my mailman is wondering what''s going on too. I did fall for Bluprint's deal of 60% off 2 of their exclusive kits. I got the 2 new Christmas kits, the one with Christmas trees and another that is just various blocks. They will make nice Christmas gifts, so they will get used soon.

I am in the process of trimming the crosswalk blocks, slow going when there are 120 blocks to do, but the To-do stack is shorter than the Ta-done stack, so I am making progress. After that is done the layout and sewing together should go pretty fast. Borders will be determined by the amount of backing fabric vs. the size of the assembled top. Well, I had better get back to it....
Old 07-23-2019, 06:54 AM

LOL, and on the other hand, the counter guy at my Post Office looks up and asks me "more fabric?" when I come to the counter with my box in hand

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:13 AM

So far I have been good for 2 weeks. Amazing it has been that long already since I splurged on the big find for a penny a yard. It has not tempted me to buy more. I am still trying to find a place to store it so I can see it to use it.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Stay strong folks! As I am switching rooms around (oh the luxury of being an empty nester!), I decided to start getting rid of fashion fabric I know I will never use. Some of the bigger pieces will be okay to use as backings. Others bits and pieces I tossed. Living on a farm, we burn some of our trash---paper etc. My 18 yo GS had the job the other day and when he took my bags out, he says, "Even this one? It's got fabric in it!" Bless his heart he was being observant! This has been in my WIC taking up space since we moved in +12 years ago. I have a collection of denim jeans that I hope to cut down and make some quilts of, making the squares as big as possible. I promised myself that the closet has to been cleared out so I can use if for my quilting fabrics.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 PM

I haven't posted in a while - haven't been accumulating any fabric, but haven't been sewing either. It's been too hot and I lost my mojo.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Those of you who are in a funk, I hope you find your way back to the sewing room soon. I find if I pick out a simple pattern and some fabric, and start on something small, my mojo returns twofold.

Well, I have the Crosswalk quilt top in Poetry collection all together. Time to put some borders on it. I was searching through some bolts standing under my cutting table and found some Poetry fabric, looked at yardage... there are 9 2/3 yards. So, obviously that is my backing I had forgotten. So the other piece I have will be borders. And now I don't have to worry about scrimping on borders because I have plenty for backing. I want the quilt to be a queen size so she can use it into eternity.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:44 AM

I agree with Grann of 6, sometimes we just need to push ourselves a bit. But on the other hand, it's a hobby and it is supposed to be fun so in the summer other people do other things.

Still I like to sew a bit each day and it is easier to do when I want to do something instead of making myself do something.

This morning I finished my new/remaining attic window/post card blocks for the additional 5 I needed and am declaring fabric collection for it as dead for the second time. I'm happy with this project, I think it will be great when it is done but I just don't feel like doing the layout or working on it right now... Usually I would have my blocks numbered first but this time I'm just putting the sashing as an L around two sides and will number them after the sashing instead of before. I think some excitement will return once I have those blocks laid out, or at least I hope so!

So I have several large projects ready to go but I'm just not feeling them. For the pushing myself, I think it's probably a good time to work on my paper pieced Farm quilt blocks. This time I'm going to start with the big easy blocks like a pig and horse faces, then move on to the hen and chicks, and end up with the Hummingbirds instead of trying to get the hard blocks out of the way first. Sometimes I need some quick and easy successes before moving on to the tedious parts of my process.

I also have a simple crib quilt project planned and pulled with Easter fabric. Have decided on a LeMoyne Star, each section a different fabric with alternating snowball blocks of a bunny print. I should go into that bag and see if I have a background fabric, I think I have a very light lavender and otherwise can pull a white on white.

Or maybe I'll just go play with my fabric until the stash speaks to me... I've got some more jungle type stuff either for that Simplish or some other simple design, enough for tops and backs both. I need to find a specific piece of blue and maybe it's a good time for me to go through my multiple blue boxes and do some trimming and purging.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I am continuing with only buying fabric needed for existing projects. The mailman mentioned the other day that I seem to have slowed down with my fabric purchases, LOL.
Hahahahahahaha! This is priceless!