2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Keep it up folks...as mentioned earlier, I've been sorting fabrics and passing on fashion fabrics. I also have been cutting juvenile scraps into usable sizes. I'm amazed at the number of charm squares, 5 x 10 and 10 x 10 pieces I have to work with for charity quilts. The other pieces are cut into the widest width and sorted according to size to use in my strippy kids quilts. Getting anxious to sew these as I cut down scrap pile, not until then will I count fabric out. But better yet...no fabric in!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 AM

Actually, according to my last post here in February, I hadn’t bought fabric “all year”— so it’s still true!
Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Congrats, Zozee, on not yielding to the temptations that abound to buy new stuff when we have so much in stash!

I'm in my 3rd year of no new purchases and finally I am seeing substantial dents in the totes, bins, shelves and closets. The combination of sewing like crazy and no new purchases really does work to reduce or deplete stash!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:49 PM

Excellent, Zozee!! Proud of you and everyone else, too.

SillySusan....seriously...you are my hero...no purchases in 3 years is quite the accomplishment. I would have loved to see a picture of your stash 3 years ago...lol..goodness!! Well done!

I'm good with fabric purchases...only purchasing what is needed..but, as previously mentioned...the patterns keep showing up. I'm convinced someone else is buying and sending them to me....
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 PM

The afternoon I stayed in the LA room because it has AC. The house AC isn't working, the repairman comes tomorrow. So I got 2 quilts quilted and binding cut for them. There's one more quilt with the batting to quilt. Also, have been going through old mag/books and tearing out patterns to use. Then the mag/books go into the trash. I want to buy fabric, but keep looking at the future quilts I've pulled fabric for and keep my eyes out of purchase temptation.

Managing!!! Until it's the new normal.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 AM

I bought a yard of fabric yesterday. Technically I only needed a half, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll use A fat third of it for the quilt I’m working on in the Danny Amazonas workshop that finishes up today. This workshop is fun- and potentially a bad influence since you need so many different fabrics to get a good value range LOL!

Rob
Old 08-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Been having a talk with myself as I've been working on this quickie project. Sometimes I see a collection of fabric and it just speaks to me. Those Wonky Brights were one, this one too (coincidentally? also rather bright). I think what I need to do is go through my stash and kit out a few projects, or at least put them into quick potential project piles

But then I feel the pressure of the UFO. I don't count them as UFOs until something has been cut, heck I don't really have any UFOs right now -- but I do have a couple of WiPs. And we aren't counting the unquilted tops just yet...

Anyway, started this yesterday. Taking a pause to evaluate whether to add another row or not, I prefer it when rows start/stop on the same block. I have a yellow from the same collection that will currently be a narrow inner border (same size as the pink). I have to measure out what I have left, but I think I can do a green/blue 4" border all around the outside. Binding will be the yellow again.

I don't know the name of it, a few years back there were a bunch of "5 yard quilts". You can still do a google on free 5 yard quilts and get tons of results. When I drew it up in Electric Quilt I called it "My Favorite 5 Yard Quilt". For this project, I'm calling it Seahawk Pink!
Attached Thumbnails seahawk-pink.jpg  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:37 AM

Iceblossom, that is adorable. Another good idea I must look up.

Last year I bought a kit from Shabby Fabrics called Tiramisu. I was disappointed when it came because all the fabric is sparkly, and I normally am not a "sparkly" person. I guess that is mainly because the old sparkly stuff came off on everything, and when you washed it, the sparkles ended up in the washer only to invade the next load of wash. , Anyway, I decided that today is the day to cut up all the fabric and get it ready to go. The block is cute and should go fairly fast. I will raid the stash for backing, I have lots of Christmas fabric that needs to find a home.

I have been working on the Jenny Doan blocks, forget the name of it, but it resembles a Jacobs Ladder. Only thing is, I am finding it very boring putting the blocks together. Thus the switch to a holiday theme.

I also have 3 quilts ready for Bob, the longarm, I will do those this weekend. That will make 36 quilts so far this year, with only minimal fabric purchase. The bulk has been from stash.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Iceblossom, I like your Seahawk Pink quilt! What size are the finished blocks?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Blocks finish at 8". So in finished sizes, the large squares are 6" with 1" sashing, and the small squares are 4" with 2" sashing. Be pretty easy to do as a 10" block too.

I do this as strip piecing, so in my case I had strips of the green and blue which were cut at 2.5" x WoF, those are in the "middle" on either side of the 4" center. Then I have two rectangle strips pieced, cut at 4.5" and then subcut into the 2.5" width. Of course my 2.5" ruler decided to take a break on me... couldn't find it but still did pretty good cuts. It doesn't cut down ideally in this size, that's why I still had enough to make another row if I wanted.

Decided to go with it as planned, have the columns sewn together and am pinning on the inside border. Looks like I can have a 6" border if I want, 4" works too.

I haven't used the serpentine stitch on my new machine yet, I think this project would be good for it when I go to quilt it down. Those curvy stripes in the jelly beans (or whatever they are) weren't going to randomize so I decided not to fussy cut and put the lines going one way with the big squares and the other way with the little squares.