2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Those are awesome, retiredteacher.... I really like the layouts on these. Super creative.

I finished the scrappy hexi quilt top but will have to wait for Quilting.. Backing and binding will be from stash.. I'm now working on my scrappy Daisy quilt as I watch a crew install the septic system on my new home. Woohoo!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Like them both, Connie- the one with orphan blocks really speaks to me because I love the way you worked all those different sizes and styles in together.

Teen- very pretty top, glad you’re finding a way to continue quilting while your new place is being built. Can’t wait to see pics of your spiffy new sewing room when you get moved in!

Rob
Old 08-20-2019, 05:07 PM

Teen: Wonderful top. We built our house almost 33 years ago and I still remember swinging by to look at the progress. No septic tank, however.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Something is terribly wrong with me.
1) I have not bought fabric all year.
2) This is my birth month so I could an exemption if I wanted.
3) We’re on vacation so I could get a second exemption.
4) My favorite quilt shop here at the beach is only 20 minutes away. I had opportunity today to go, but chose not to.

Self-control has not been my strong suit in years past. Guess my resolve to shop my stash and not cave in to my whims
Has gotten strong!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM

zozee, it sounds like you really have the moratorium mindset working for you!

retiredteacher, it's amazing what an interesting background can do for some little squares! That spacing variation really adds interest.

Teen, your hexie top is charming.

I am thinking about doing a scrappy 16-patch with an alternate snowball block, and am wondering if I could use a different neutral for each snowball block, or if that would end up looking chaotic, and it would be best to stick with a constant plain fabric, as one usually sees in photos.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Something is terribly wrong with me.
1) I have not bought fabric all year.
2) This is my birth month so I could an exemption if I wanted.
3) We’re on vacation so I could get a second exemption.
4) My favorite quilt shop here at the beach is only 20 minutes away. I had opportunity today to go, but chose not to.

Self-control has not been my strong suit in years past. Guess my resolve to shop my stash and not cave in to my whims
Has gotten strong!
Wonderful, zozree! All those strong temptations and you've stayed so firm in your resolve to reduce your stash! Good for you!
Old 08-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
2 more quilt tops finished! The first top has donated orphan blocks, practice blocks, and rows of squares and has been a WIP this summer. The other one was adapted from a baby size pattern in one of my books. They both measure around 70” by 80” and will be donated to my church group to sandwich, bind, and tie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616373[/ATTACH]
Looking at this one again. Did you start with 5" squares? I've been cutting several of those in kids fabrics. Thanks, G.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 AM

That's beautiful Teen! A new quilt top and septic too!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Retiredteacher, love what you do with the sampler tops, and the simple squares is a very nice project, your background fabric works so well with it. I recognize some of those fabrics and have them too -- go go rainbow cats!

Zozee, you are an inspiration! I've been doing really good on my new fabric temptations but give in too easily to the thrift stores. Been giving myself a talking to or two. Not enough, but at least I pause briefly before buying.

Joe'smom, I think you will be ok if your fabrics are close enough. I did a couple projects earlier this year and had to face my demons on neutral fabrics. Turned out to be not that scary.

Teen, will have to show that top to one of my Tuesday quilting ladies. She is having fun with hexes right now making a pillow or two but I know she would love that top. She's the one who works in a more improvisational style and I think she can put her hand to that concept within yours.

Got some help with my machine and will be doing some quilting down of some of my tops so I will have those to bring to Tuesday group for the hand sewing of the bindings, then maybe I'll feel better about doing that paper piecing. Trying to learn how to use the "sewing computer" instead of my vintage "sewing machine", just going to do a serpentine stitch to quilt down that Seahawk Pink project, I think it will be perfect for that and I've never done it before.

I think in terms of dealing with stash that I do need to put together some "alternate projects". Not going to consider them UFOs. But for when I want to do one of my fast slice and dice projects, have a few go-to fabrics and ideas to work with instead of looking for inspiration.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 PM

oksewglad: Yes I did use 5” squares and 2” by 5” sashing between the first and second block in each segment. The pattern has all of the sashings in the same place across the row but I flipped every other one for variety.