2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
oksewglad: Yes I did use 5” squares and 2” by 5” sashing between the first and second block in each segment. The pattern has all of the sashings in the same place across the row but I flipped every other one for variety.
Thanks...I did notice the flip. This is a wonderful use of scraps BTW!
Old 08-23-2019, 10:59 AM

Seriously underestimated the amount of thread on the spool I'm using to quilt down the Here Kitty Kitty project. Went to Joann to get some more and was confronted by lots of fabric on sale. Not as good as the penny per yard thing, but 30% additional off the markdowns. Fat quarters buy one get one. Most of the usual suspects on sale. Faced some severe temptation but came out with just my thread. And a trip to McDonald's but that's a different confession
Old 08-23-2019, 03:40 PM

Way to go, Iceblossom!
Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 PM

One of my favorite parts of quilting is putting together the fabrics and pattern. If I kit up projects that's like eating lots of icing off the cake and then not caring to eat the cake. So for me it works to pull out several fabric combinations, figure out the pattern and choose one to work on. Then, put the rest back into stash.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:20 AM

Grann of 6, My prostitcher is doing the same thing. It stops/locks up in the middle of a sewing pass. I end up having to start from scratch to finishing quilting the pass. Then I can't complete the cropping step. It is very frustrating. Have you heard when they will fix the issue?

IceBlossom, very pretty top. I like your border.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:46 AM

Happylab, I checked online and didn't see a solution for it yet. I haven't contacted them because I don't know how to describe what it does, and it is not something that it does every pass, only sporadic. I have messed up a couple quilts because when I started the pass the design was positioned in the wrong spot and ended up going over what was already done. I didn't feel like unstitching so the dog has another quilt to sleep on. He doesn't care that th.e stitching isn't perfect. I am thinking that I need to brush up on my FMQ so I can do them without the prostitcher.

All the quilts pictured have been fabulous. Good going everyone. I was a bad girl and ordered some FQs from jellyrollfabric.net, medium and dark calicos. Of course now I don't remember why I ordered them, can't find the pattern I was going to use. But I found some calico in my stash that can be put in with it. I'm thinking about using some of my many WoWs that should be used up, as a background fabric.....if I can find the pattern. I have just 9 more pillowcases to finish up, so that will make about 65 yards of kiddie fabric used from the stash. Some of that fabric had been here for 5 years.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Got a dilemma here. Just found out yesterday that the LQS where I first learned to quilt, is closing Sept 30. Makes me sad, but my guess is, it’s too much work for the money.

Do I stick to my guns and shop my stash (thus far doing very well) or take advantage of the 20-30% off sale to stock up and help out a LQS?

I feel badly that this shop wasn’t my go-to one. Distance and largely not my style of fabric, but I could always find something if I wanted.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:43 AM

It is so sad to hear of another LQS closing. Personally I would wait to see when the fabric goes to 50%, unless you know they have something you can't live without.

Well, I finished the pillowcases, and miscounted, I only have 52, so that is at least 52 yards gone from the stash. I pulled out a bunch of FQs that I have accumulated since I first started quilting. I am going to make some fabric boxes to go with the charity stuff I am sending to my friend for her charities.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:18 AM

I ordered 1 1/2 yd. of cream background fabric and now I can't remember what it was for.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 AM

Maybe it's meant to go with the FQs I ordered for some unknown reason.

Well, I have made 4 fabric boxes and pretty much wasted an entire morning. I'm not sure how many I have the patience for. The most annoying part is feeling that I have to keep changing thread color to match the chosen fabric, instead of just using white or off white on everything.