2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Well... the shoe dropped and found my nagging problem. Not too bad and I can deal with it. I'll have to go back to my notes though and figure out why my 26-28" I thought I needed turned into 36" needed. It would have made a difference in my background selection.

The fabric I'm using for the background has a very rough and deep selvedge and I'm barely getting 40" of usable fabric. With one bad cut, the short width, and two extra blocks I don't have enough background for the four corner setting triangles. I can either fill them in with the border fabric, I have a "very close" (and will check my 6.5" box to see if I cut a slice off of this one I'm using but I'm guessing no since I haven't used it before) that can fill in for the four corners, or I can simply not square the ends and make that a diagonal corner on the finished project. I had to piece the wonky end cut in order to get two extra pieces.

As Ma Ingalls used to say, "Enough is as good as a feast". Well, no -- in these modern days I want leftovers but I'm making do with stash!

Edit: All the L1 blocks as I call them are now made. I will have to do the overall layout and then put together the alternating 4-patches so the pattern works correctly. Still on schedule, even with the last minute stuff getting the hubby taken care of for his trip.

I'm taking pictures through this process, it's actually quite simple to do but really hard for me to explain.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-02-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Yikes! Figured out where I went wrong. I've been thinking in my head that since my grid is 5x6, I needed 30 L1 blocks and was making 32 because I like to have a couple extras to play with. But I actually only needed 24 because the row starts with a solid square.

That explains why I don't have enough yardage... I was correct with my initial math, just confused in my cutting. Too bad everything is cut now, but I'll probably just piece the triangles out of the unused blocks. Life throws us curves, I try to throw them back harder
Old 08-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Or you can put in something a bit different that is strategically arranged and it will look like you meant to do it that way after all.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 AM

I've gotten the layout and all the blocks done. Next step is assemble the diagonal rows.

No, I'm not entirely happy with it but I've learned a lot in the process. Sure, learned the design and wrote it down, if I make it again it will be even easier.

But more importantly I've learned about myself and my friend and our friendship as well as dealing with bad news/issues. It's not perfect but neither am I. I've made a few mistakes but I've recovered. As I said about the curve balls, this is just a quilt and not the cancer but we're going to hit that out of the park too. And no matter what and no matter the distance, I am there for her as she is for me. It's a wonderful thing to have a true friend.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:43 AM

Pet...great job on stash busting....and good luck on your surgery....your husband sounds like a keeper!! Enjoy your sisters visit. Sending happy vibes your way..

When I arrived in Calif to help my sister with her son's wedding, on my bed in her guest room was a lovely basket full of fun...a FQ bundle!! So sweet of her and it's lovely. Can't refuse a gift, right?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Oh your sister knows you very well, Teen...so what's the plan with the FQ's. You know you can plan while you wait to get a great sewing space.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Yay for Sister! That is guilt free fabric... now if she gave you a gift card and you bought fabric you might get a mild (very mild) scolding, but probably not

Here's the top for my friend as it stands. Probably will still get a border, have to decide on a backing fabric first and the size might mean some constraints, but the piece I'm thinking about should be plenty big.

I need a break and to stretch my back a bit!
Attached Thumbnails nicole-top.jpg  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 AM

After finishing up 5 items headed out to LAQ, I jumped off the wagon at an online shop I had not been to in awhile. I had been doing really well cutting scraps, piecing backs from stash and actually progressing to multiple finishes. I will get back on track and stay in the wagon.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:14 PM

Iceblossom: Very pretty!

I fell off the wagon a bit but my sister asked me to go to some quilt stores for the Minnesota Quilter’s shop hop and I said yes. We had a great time. We very seldom do something together that is not family related. I bought 4 panels and some coordinating fabric for a baby quilt along with a couple of patterns. So into the stash it goes for now but memories were made.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:52 PM

iceblossom, very pretty. I like the colors and the pattern.