2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-28-2019, 07:05 AM

Pet, that's great that your stash is now on shelves! I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick. So nice that your sis will come and help.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 AM

It sounds like everyone is using mostly from their stash - congrats!!

I bought a half yard bundle from Blueprint of batiks for my MIL bargello quilt so that purchase doesn't really count and I'm adding from my stash to have enough fabrics. So I bought 5 yards and I'll use that much from stash. I also think the backing will come from stash as I have a piece big enough to coordinate well with it. That quilt is still in the thinking and gathering stage.

I am currently quilting my scrappy Irish Chain. This one is an oversized throw so would say 4 yards of fabric for the backing and binding and another yard or so for the background in the top.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Pet good luck with your surgery and don't overdo it. Fabric is like Death & Taxes--it's always there. At least we enjoy fabric.

Originally Posted by Motorcyclemad View Post
With what I am getting rid of from my stash, it is still managing to continue growing. My friend sent me a trash bag full of 5-1/2" squares and a twelve pic set of embroidered horse heads. The ATW is out of the squares--mostly reds, blues, oranges and greens. I just need to check my stash for a little bit of a border. That should not be a problem. I cleaned house this week, so I should have no problem getting the rows sewn together this weekkend.

Wish me luck!

I got the top done with border material from stash so I am a quite happy. Although there is a 9-1/2yd deficit, 6 of it was from someone else. Anything that helps me stay on top of my addictions is definitely a good thing I got pictures before I found the material for the borders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615384[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615385[/ATTACH]

In that order from outside in.

Last edited by Motorcyclemad; 10-06-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 AM

Everyone is doing great. I just finished binding the Graduation quilt, so that was 2 jelly rolls used, 7 yards for the backing, around a yard for the borders. And I have a 2 yard piece of one of the collection fabrics that I will use to make matching pillowcases. And I think I will use the last 2 yards of backing fabric to make a gift bag for it. So that means around 11 yards of fabric has disappeared. Not bad for a last minute gift. I think it pays to keep a stash around. You never know when the need will arise for a quick gift.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 AM

I cut out and sewed strips for a low volume triple Irish chain, which is looking quite strange. These fabrics were from a club I had belonged to, and they were too colorful for me to use as neutrals. I had tried doing it scrappy with some of the fabrics, but it was visually too confusing that way. Luckily, I was able to find a half yard more of one of the fabrics I needed on Etsy, so will be able to make the fabrics constant, which I think will improve matters greatly.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:16 AM

Congrats to all of you using those stash fabrics! Great jobs!

During the last few days, I made 5 baby quilt tops using 3 1/2" squares. They used up lots of scraps I had hanging around here. Now if only I could use up some of these bigger chunks still piled into the huge tubs on the floor!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 AM

I spent some time the other day looking at equilter (my usual first stop) in case I needed to buy more black and there were all sorts of things I would have thrown into the package. But my cooler head prevailed and while I will need more black for now there is enough to finish my project.

I've bought a few pieces at the thrift stores lately, nothing too huge. I am committed to buying some fabrics from a lady on Craig's List. Our schedules aren't meshing, this week I'm busy, next week she's traveling, so we've set a date in August. One of them will go into the Postcard quilt, a couple of the others will go well with my alphabet quilts but yeah -- it is adding to the stash, but the price is right, the fabrics are right, and they are all high quality.

LOL, I say that the thrift stores call to me. On Sunday the voice said to go to the Value Village in Southcenter, we were nearby anyway shopping for clothes for the hubby. While I didn't get any fabric, right next to the fabric section was a glorious Brandt ranch oak table for $15. I looked online for pictures but couldn't find any of this exact table, haven't seen it before. I have several pieces of the Brandt ranch oak and practically screamed as I whipped past my husband for a cart and the comment "we are buying a table today". Best I can determine is that going price for this would be around $150-200. I think it would be described as a console table, tall and with two drawers. My ranch oak chair will slip neatly under it but it is not a desk per se.

Here's a site with a little info:
https://www.t-m-cowboyclassics.com/dynapage/PP10.htm

So although I have/had plans to start my paper piecing, my BFF who recently visited me has had some medical issues come up. She was caught very very early but will need a lumpectomy so I need to whip up a quick comfort quilt. I have decided on a pattern and have a couple of different ways to go. I'll show the pattern and my two sets of fabrics I've pulled and decide on which one to use in my Tuesday group. Basically, I have some lovely large florals that would be perfect but not really "me" for either my friend or I and I need to pick a neutral to go with, or I can go brighter and need to pull a few more but I have the background, backing and borders.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Those are wonderful colors motorcyclemad.

Wishing you the best for your surgery Pet and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sorry about your friend Iceblossom. I'm sure a quilt will be a great comfort for her. The furniture looks beautiful - no wonder you were telling your hubby it was coming home with you!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:24 PM

Group decided on the paler florals so they are in the prewash. Still looking for that piece of mossy green to try out with them, I think I'll like it better than the off white but won't know until I find it. Quilt is a 4-patch variation, it will look super dooper fancy but will be fast and easy to make.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 AM

Starting working on the top for my friend yesterday. After two days I gave up looking for the "perfect" piece of fabric and since I was faced with all sorts of indecision, went with my husband's favorite of the options.

Everything is out of stash, don't know what/if I will do for borders yet or what I will pick for the back but I'm on my way!

About a quarter of the blocks are done (sewn and pressed), the remaining ones are sorted and ready to be pinned and sewn. After I finish half the blocks (which will be today) I will start out layout, I have to get those first blocks done in order to correctly make the alternate blocks. Again, those are just simple 4-patches but the layout is the important part.

So far the project is going very well... but I have that uneasy feeling that I've miscounted or something somewhere along the way!