2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 AM

Good way to sort your projects, Iceblossom. I just ordered more artbins, 2 smaller ones and 2 of the double deep ones. Then I kit up the fabric and pattern for a project and stack the artbins where I can see them for easy access. Some are quickie projects and some are more time consuming. But a project seems to go faster if the fabric is already cut into the needed sizes.

I machine bind all my quilts, actually have a friend who does a lot of my bindings, and I quilt her quilts. I will bind my own if I am in a rush to get the quilt to its destination. My hands just can't do the hand binding any more, and I want my quilts to last into eternity or till worn out, whichever comes first.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I really shouldn't have but I did; from the local Donation store for $2.50 I brought home a bag of fabric. Among the pieces at 3 yards of 1/4 yd cuts in CW fabrics, a 3/4 yd piece of Grunge, almost a yard of very small mini print perfect for my minis, four 1/3 yard cuts of black fabrics...all different shades, plus about 10 pieces of wof cuts at least 1/4 yard. At least 7 yards of LQS fabric for 2.50! This is my first fall since the quilt shop closing early this summer. To help off set this there's about 13 yards in the top of the UFO I'm working on now...wooo saved by the UFO!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 PM

This past week, I've been completing projects in anticipation of my shoulder surgery. I expect 6 wks of no sewing. Any way, finished two quilts and got 2 more quiltied. They need binding. I think thats ~20 yds. I'm still staying on the wagon. And I'm still finding complete projects from my stash. I expect there will come a time when I'll to buy something for a project..... Cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

You're inspiring pet...both in the no buy and UFO departments. Enjoy some good books in your time off!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:34 AM

You've got friends here who will be praying for a safe surgery and a quick recovery.

Books and TV for a while, but you'll be back at your sewing machine soon. ... and be reducing that stash! ... Keep us posted!
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Oksew—that’s an amazing haul for $2.50! All of that quality yardage for less than the cost of one new LQS FQ?? Who could fault you for that?

Pet— prayers for a successful surgery and complete healing of your shoulder. I feel for you. Realistically, not to discourage you now but so that you aren’t discouraged later , Recovery and PT could take significantly longer than 6 weeks. The shoulder is such a complex joint, as you know, that it takes a lot of strengthening exercises of the back, arms, and hips . I had no idea till my shoulder was out of commission and I needed three months of PT at 3x:a week.
You’re going to be better for it in the ling run, though, and we are here for ya!
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 AM

I flubbed up!! I decided to do a Lori Holt sew along and bought all the fabric for it. It's all applique..right up my alley....I'm trying to justify it by reasoning that I don't have access to my fabric since it is still packed up and I needed a project for the next couple of months.....but I Have other projects kitted up and accessible so there really is no justification....just an absolute love for the project... And her fabrics...geesh...I'm so weak.

prayers a healing hugs, Pet!!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Well, I spent two whole days at the AQS Quilt Show in Grand Rapids, Michigan and truly didn’t hurt my moratorium. I replaced some rulers that are worn out, bought a couple new rotary cutters- again replacing a couple that need to be retired. A couple patterns, a small rotating Fiskar cutting mat- perfect for my EPP project, a sweet wool appliqué kit and one quilt kit that will make a beautiful Christmas gift for my youngest son who is in the process of purchasing his first home. Nothing stash adding was purchased. And it was a nice show. My hubby even enjoyed it.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:18 PM

Just got back from my quilt group with way too much fabric. Usually I'm bringing mine to give away, this time I took more than I would have thought. There were some packages of precut squares on top of the box that were happy kid prints so I said "I'll take all the precut squares". (Should have just said "those") Little did I know that the entire bottom of the box was full of precut squares! LOL, we have a rule that if you take something you have to take all of it (unless someone wants to share) and I was committed. You are also not allowed to bring something back, once you take it you must use it or otherwise find a new home for it.

Also, one of the ladies brought back a tub of fabrics I had given her to look through, she was wanting small pieces of "sunset" colors. These 4" strips are on the list of things to go, especially now that they came back.

Anyway... I better get back to using fabrics.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Oksew—that’s an amazing haul for $2.50! All of that quality yardage for less than the cost of one new LQS FQ?? Who could fault you for that?
My boss at the LQS. I haven't told her!

Teen, does that mean you have some UFO's kitted up and you overlooked them for a new project...and so it begins...bwahaha.

Ice...sounds like you should've dug deeper!