2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 AM

Thanks, Happylab. Mine just locked up on me on the 3rd pass, but not the other passes. I will try turning everything off when I hopefully get this top finished. Yesterday I did FM so I didn't use the prostitcher except to run the machine. I always turn off and unplug the machine from the surge protector when not in use. And I don't run it during stormy weather. I do know it is something in the upgrade because it didn't do this before.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM

I found a layer cake today that I'd forgotten about, and went to look at some youtube tutorials for layer cake quilts. This video from Jordan fabrics shows her mind-boggling wonderful quilt store. It looks so huge, and there's a whole separate part full of tables to work on. It looks like the perfect quilt store! I wonder where she is located?

edit -- they are in Grants Pass, Oregon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVm0IH1hKZw

Last edited by joe'smom; 09-03-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 AM

I love Jordan fabrics, and Donna's tutorials. She doesn't jumble up with unneeded information. I have made a lot of her free patterns, and also have gotten quite a few of the patterns she sells and demonstrates. Since I use so many precuts, and have so many in my stash, her patterns work beautifully for me.

I made another Jenny half hexi stained glass quilt. I used a layer cake of Hearts Content batiks, and used a dark brown for sashing. And I just happened to have some batik on a bolt that matched one of the fabrics in the collection. So that was another 5 yards and a layer cake out of the stash. But I am going to have to buy more brown for my stash, only have about a yard left. I like to have the basic colors handy, brown, grey, black, red, blue, etc.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:55 AM

I've put together a batch of things to get at Amazon for my birthday including some quilting themed t-shirts, thread and machine needles but no fabric!

I was working on my postcard quilt over the virtual quilting weekend and had a really rough time seeing the black fabric or more exactly I press open and I could not see the seam allowance on the back at all. I was also using black thread, should have switched to grey. Had to go outside to line up the seams when I was putting the rows together. Didn't have any problems with any of the other colors but I don't remember having such issues before -- I've always enjoyed using black as a neutral. My vision stuff issues are hard to describe but basically I'm losing my ability to focus up close as well as tremendous distance vision loss.

No grandbaby yet, if he comes tomorrow we will share birthdays! LOL, I'd love that but I think my daughter in law would rather not

The year I was born it was Labor Day, and since I always had a holiday close enough to my birthday, I just would celebrate on the weekend so hubby and I went out to lunch on Monday. It was interesting, I had seen something like it on the Food Network or Travel Channel -- I think it was Andrew Zimmern in Vegas but off the strip. Anyway, it was a hot pot restaurant with a conveyor belt. I've had hot pot before as a family meal, but here it is designed for individuals and you sit at counters that have a built in place for your soup pot. There are a couple of booths as well. Then you choose the type of broth you'd like, and there is a little conveyor belt that goes buy with little color coded plates with items to put in the broth like meat, mushrooms, vegetables, noodles, etc. Your total is made by the color of your plates, sort of like dim sum.
https://hotpotworld.com/

It was not cheap and it was rather loud, more of a cafeteria setting than fine dining but it was fun. The neat thing is that they have vegan options and so it is a place that my keto hubby, my basic high protein/low carb, and my son and DDiL vegan eating styles can all be satisfied.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 AM

My oldest DGS has his birthday tomorrow also. He will be 28.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Happy Birthday Iceblossom! Glad you had fun on your Birthday meal.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:47 AM

my stash filled a need, yesterday. went to dr; 6 more weeks to sewing,so i got to PETTHEFABRIC for my fix.

my brain is on hold also. locked us out of the house. the 3 of us decided who was the most capable. Surgery-recovering sister in long skirt got to climb through a window; where's a grand child when needed? Maybe I need to adopt.

And the rx for narcotcs was left in their car, she's mailing it to me. LOL or cry?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Sew glad you had some fabric to soothe the aches and pains of surgery and dopey brain as a result of said surgery! Today will be a better day, right? So laugh away....

Happy Birthday Ice..My 17 yo GS was also born on Labor Day as well as having this year's BD on Labor Day. DD was in labor during a tornado warning, and had to be moved away from the windowed room and into the hallway! No they won't forget that experience!

Thanks for the Jordan Fabrics link...yes very professional, well done videos! Not a precut person, but the ideas are still pertinent to all.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Happy birthday, Iceblossom, in case I forget tomorrow.

I found a blue/white floral JR in my stash, and even have some blue/white floral that will work for backing and even some for a border. I am just doing a simple rail fence with 4 strips in each rail, alternating the darks with the whites. This will be another quickie cancer center quilt.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I found a layer cake today that I'd forgotten about, and went to look at some youtube tutorials for layer cake quilts. This video from Jordan fabrics shows her mind-boggling wonderful quilt store. It looks so huge, and there's a whole separate part full of tables to work on. It looks like the perfect quilt store! I wonder where she is located?

edit -- they are in Grants Pass, Oregon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVm0IH1hKZw

I visited a few years ago and it's an amazing store. She and her hubbie are very talented....I love her youtubes!