2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-04-2019, 03:43 PM

I stumbled upon a quilt store while exploring....Lovely little shop and super neat people. They are "The Lori Holt" quilt store of this region....and carry Laundry Basket quilt fabric collections...I spent an hour there looking at everything....walked away with a short stack of FQ's of white on white since I use it a lot and I'm low...but that was it. They are doing the same Holt sew along I just started and invited me to come and sew with them on their weekly "Holt Day"... I think I'll be going on Friday...should be fun..
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Teen this will be an ideal project for you while house building is going on. Lori Holt colors fit your taste for sure.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:07 AM

Happy Birthday, Iceblossom!
Old 09-05-2019, 07:23 AM

Thanks! I woke up today to hearing my cell phone go off but it was just a happy birthday not the grandbaby is coming. My son was quite late himself so apparently baby is just doing what comes naturally/

Today hubby and I will have date night at Costco and restock the pantry. Yesterday i put together the borders for the postcard quilt, so today they get put on and that means I can finalize the back. I did some playing with the back layout yesterday. It's funny how just by moving one piece from one direction to the next improved it for me.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I've put together a batch of things to get at Amazon for my birthday including some quilting themed t-shirts, thread and machine needles but no fabric!

I was working on my postcard quilt over the virtual quilting weekend and had a really rough time seeing the black fabric or more exactly I press open and I could not see the seam allowance on the back at all. I was also using black thread, should have switched to grey. Had to go outside to line up the seams when I was putting the rows together. Didn't have any problems with any of the other colors but I don't remember having such issues before -- I've always enjoyed using black as a neutral. My vision stuff issues are hard to describe but basically I'm losing my ability to focus up close as well as tremendous distance vision loss.

No grandbaby yet, if he comes tomorrow we will share birthdays! LOL, I'd love that but I think my daughter in law would rather not

The year I was born it was Labor Day, and since I always had a holiday close enough to my birthday, I just would celebrate on the weekend so hubby and I went out to lunch on Monday. It was interesting, I had seen something like it on the Food Network or Travel Channel -- I think it was Andrew Zimmern in Vegas but off the strip. Anyway, it was a hot pot restaurant with a conveyor belt. I've had hot pot before as a family meal, but here it is designed for individuals and you sit at counters that have a built in place for your soup pot. There are a couple of booths as well. Then you choose the type of broth you'd like, and there is a little conveyor belt that goes buy with little color coded plates with items to put in the broth like meat, mushrooms, vegetables, noodles, etc. Your total is made by the color of your plates, sort of like dim sum.
https://hotpotworld.com/

It was not cheap and it was rather loud, more of a cafeteria setting than fine dining but it was fun. The neat thing is that they have vegan options and so it is a place that my keto hubby, my basic high protein/low carb, and my son and DDiL vegan eating styles can all be satisfied.
I have a bunch (2 yrs) of Postcards that were sent to me. I hate that they are just in a drawer. How did you use them to create a quilt?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:50 AM

My postcards aren't the type that are sent which are typically embellished and pieced and such. They are just postcard sized pieces of large scale pictures. I put them in an attic window block and then just simple black lattice, remember back before there were the static type of photo albums with the flip pages? Supposed to be like the old scrapbooks with the black pages.

With the fancy sort of them, I don't know if I could think of anything other than finding a perfect lovely box to put them in and keep them on the coffee table.

Here's the current picture, I haven't taken one yet with the borders on.

Edit: These are actual small postcard size. Maybe a nice simple treatment like this could put together the type that are sent? My concern would be the stiffness of a top made from what I've typically seen.
Attached Thumbnails postcard-top.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Teen this will be an ideal project for you while house building is going on. Lori Holt colors fit your taste for sure.
I thought so, too, Ok... I was going to start Kingwell's Gypsy Wife pattern but I really need a design wall and space for that one. The sew along should be done by the time I'm able to move in...that's my hope, anyway...lol..
Old 09-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
My postcards aren't the type that are sent which are typically embellished and pieced and such. They are just postcard sized pieces of large scale pictures. I put them in an attic window block and then just simple black lattice, remember back before there were the static type of photo albums with the flip pages? Supposed to be like the old scrapbooks with the black pages.

With the fancy sort of them, I don't know if I could think of anything other than finding a perfect lovely box to put them in and keep them on the coffee table.

Here's the current picture, I haven't taken one yet with the borders on.

Edit: These are actual small postcard size. Maybe a nice simple treatment like this could put together the type that are sent? My concern would be the stiffness of a top made from what I've typically seen.
Looking good...yes I've come across photo albums with the black pages from the past, too.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Got the borders on yesterday, but did the final miters on the corners today.

I've mentioned before that I don't like ironing but I find it essential to my process. This morning I pressed and cut a piece the long way for the backing, ugh. Back will be pieced of large pieces/panels most of which are ready to go. Maybe some of the fabrics from the border or blocks will find their way in as well but it depends on how well the panels go together.

I had one panel that's been hiding/escaped its box. Finally found it this morning and it is in the wash now so figured it was a good time to finally eat my breakfast and take a bit of a break. So -- how you doing?
Old 09-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Iceblossom, I’m late in saying happy birthday to you. And looking forward to hearing about the birth day of your grand baby! So exciting!