2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 AM

Darcy, I love your project but am unable to help in any way with improving it! What you've already done is super dooper awesome!

In pale comparison, here's my other project from the box of pre-cut squares, these are all metallic embellished in some way and I'm calling the project "Scrap Metal". I haven't played around with the design yet, I needed to see what I had. What I am seeing is that the light triangles stick out so brightly I might as well make them into squares so that is what I did in the picture. I think there will be some sort of sashing or framing of the blocks, currently all the raw edges are on bias. Blocks will finish at 7". I was hoping to use the long piece of fabric for the sashing, but I think the dark ones disappear too much.

For convenience and now that you've seen the projects, here are the inspirations,
Confetti Quilt:
How to Do ... ?

Scrap Metal (2nd picture, first post)
my quilting this summer
Attached Thumbnails 100_5203.jpg  
Old 10-03-2019, 04:47 AM

OMG! You're the inspiration! I never thought to keep track of the yardage I have used through out the year. I can't begin to guess. Nor would I be able to calculate the scraps and yardage there either. The quilt tops and finished quilts have been adding up. I haven't been as loyal as you as I have made a few smaller purchases and the one very large but inexpensive purchase. What an inspiration you are. I will just have to try harder. Working on a baby quilt from my stash right now using some of the "uncutables" my 1930 repo fabrics for a baby quilt.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:13 PM

Iceblossom: Very pretty.

Darcyshannon: I love your center!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
The juvenile novelty focus fabrics are 6.5" raw. I cut the confetti fabric at 2.5", it required ~2.5 yards. The sashing squares varied in length from 6-6.5", I cut them all 3" wide x length. In my project I used 35 focus fabrics set 5x7, it should measure 68x94". If you are doing the sashing by squares, you need two squares per focus fabric, plus one square for top/bottom sides (5+7 = 12), for a total of 82 squares in addition to the 35 focus fabrics.
Correction: Somehow my count was off by 16 squares, so it should be 98 squares to be cut into sashing + 35 focus squares. For rough figuring for a different block size (like 6" cut instead of 6.5") you can figure you need 3 blocks per focus fabric which would give you 105 instead of 98, or just count out 100!

Again, I'm not going to stress on whether it is a juvenile novelty print or not, I'm going to go into my 6.5" strips collection and pull out some bright/contrasting fabrics since I've already been through this box a couple of times.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Well, my LQS taunted me today with their anniversary sale..... all Moda fabric 25% off, and all other fabric $1.00 a yard off. I was so good, got 6 yards of Moda Crackle in dark grey, 3 yards (all that was left on the bolt) of a lighter grey crackle, and another almost 3yards of a bluish crackle. They will work well with just about any of my stash fabrics. The adjoining sewing machine store was also having an anniversary sale. I took my Babylock Katherine in for routine service, and asked about replacing my Babylock Rachel with a better but still lightweight machine. He gave me a good price, and I told him I would bring the machine in tomorrow and trade it in on the new machine. But the more I think about it, I'm going to stay home and sew. I am just too spoiled with the Aria, but I haven't been doing much traveling with the Rachel, so might as well just keep it until maybe when Black Friday sales come around.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Well, does it count if it is thread and not fabric? I kind of got excited about the cord that can be applied with an iron instead of couching. It is sparkly and well, who doesn’t like sparkly? It is coming in the mail. OK. This stops now... purchases for the rest of 2019. I think I can make it.

Iceblossom, I always like 1/2 square triangles. They brighten any quilt.

GR6, good for you on the machines. I have decided not to even look, so tempting, because I know my machines and that saves me time and headache. Someday, I will probably need to look.

Hang in there everyone, less than three months to go. I am organizing my stash so I can shop my stash next year and not the store. We will see

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-05-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Well, I have 6 quilts ready for the longarm (Bob). I got the jelly roll drag race top done yesterday, had added several odd strips to the JR, so the top came out rather square, not really square but not very long to make it practical. So I searched the stash and found a green batik that I used for 3 1/2" side borders, then 1 1/2" top and bottom. Then lo and behold I found another JR of the same collection, so I made piano key borders for top and bottom. So now it ends up being around 72 X 91, a more practical size for a twin or full bed. I even found a bolt of green batik for backing. So that quilt is made entirely of stash fabric.

Then while watching Kelly yesterday I sewed JR strips of Country Orchard to make rail fence blocks, yes it was another part of the endless stash. And my memory seemed to come back to a possibility that I have backing of it too. And through a search of the stash, I found 8 yards of the main print. If I remember right, I bought that backing off the $5 bin.

And I ultimately decided to stay home and not go get that sewing machine. I had made my down payment on the trip my friend and I are taking next spring to Paducah, and to visit Jenny Doan again, and this time we are even going to a trunk show with Angela Walters. So we are super excited about that. We will be stopping at several quilt shops along the way, so I need to clear some room for goodies acquired at those shops, and pinch my pennies for a while. The dog will be going to his favorite kennel for the week, so that cost has to be entered into the total.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 AM

Behind my personally imposed schedule for finishing the Confetti top. One of my dogs is not doing well... we took her to the vet yesterday figuring it was going to be a one-way ride. We are going to wait 3 more days, we have refused the $800+ worth of lab tests, I've done it before and always ended up with a dead dog and $1000 bill.

Vet thinks best case is pancreatitis, which will either resolve or it won't, worst cases are all death sentences. Dog is just skin and bones and isn't eating (has been going on for 4-6 weeks), but her disposition is good, she is interested in the world. Yes there is some stress/distress and her abdomen is very tight but isn't exactly swollen and while she doesn't want to be prodded isn't terribly sensitive. Last night I cooked up some ground chicken and rice (Vet prescribed diet) and she actually ate about 1/4 cup and was interested in it. This morning not so much When a dog turns down canned cat food and chicken nuggets there is something wrong.

Anyway... about quilting. So today at small group I'm going to work on the Confetti quilt. I got all the sashing rows completed and on the rows and will start connecting the rows/sashing. Almost done!

Yesterday I did cut a few more squares for the Scrap Metal project. I've drawn it up in EQ and know how many I need to make -- I was guestimating 30, yeah... it's more like 80, I just wasn't figuring in those setting triangles. Started a box for the metallic scraps, the 30 6.5" squares I cut yesterday were from 10" swapping squares so have some nice trims.

And yesterday I packaged up two boxes to send out -- they will go to the post office after group. One is a completely full medium sized flat rate box with the rest of the precut squares and most of my "bigger than 2.5" strips I don't want to keep as packing. Now that I took out the novelty and metallic squares what remains is pretty cohesive and usable. The other box is only half full -- the remainder of the novelty squares and some strips and pieces of novelty fabrics I pulled out to add to the Confetti top. But, medium boxes is what I had handy and it definitely won't fit into a small box.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:10 AM

I've been through the aged dog thing. The last Great Dane I had lived to almost 15. But the last about 2 years she wouldn't eat anything but chicken thighs and rice with mixed veggies thrown in. I kept the crockpot busy making her food. Then she just decided she had had it and gave me "that look". This Dane will be 7 in December, and he will eat anything put in front of him.
:
Well, my friend in NC has asked me to make 3 quilts for her. One is for a friend of hers who was just diagnosed with cancer, stage 3. He wants an outdoorsy quilt. I just happened to have a layer cake of elk, bear, and other outdoorsy prints, and even have the backing for it. So I made a double slice layer cake and put a wide border of the bear and elk print on the top and bottom to make it "man length" and then a 3" border all around of the "firewood" print fabric. I am ready to make the backing. It is a directional print of the bear and elk, so there will be a seam down the center or off center, however if lays when I put it on the longarm sideways. I have 6 yards of the backing so no shortage there. And another bunch of fabric out of the closet. She also wants a baby quilt, and a quilt with sunflowers. I had none of that, so ordered some fabric from fabric.com, which will come tomorrow. I bought some cute baby girl fabric with elephants and other animals on it for the baby quilt. I think I am going to alternate it with some charm squares of various pastel polka dots. That will make a charm pack disappear from the stash. The backing will be the same baby elephant print. Then I can get back to MY unfinished projects.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Well, dog Sandy is still with me but Friday will be the day.

I've put the Confetti top together and have one of the fabrics for the back in the washer. I'm using two very different fabrics... I really liked how Irishrose pieced this back and I'm using something similar. I will use this again in the future when I don't have quite enough and have to either piece or purchase -- and being in the moratorium means piecing is likely! I get such good ideas from you guys, so a special shout out to Irishrose2!
2019 Fabric Moratorium

Took a picture but the batteries are low and the chip wasn't in the camera, so maybe wait until the back is pieced.

Yesterday I sliced apart the Scrap Metal pieces I cut. Looks like my original squares were 6" and these are 6.5, but it all trims down better than it trims up! They are pinned and ready for their turn to be sewn. Goal for today is to sew and then count out while ironing how many did I cut (I think 60) and how many I made before (32?) I need 72 blocks and 22 setting triangles, plus the 4 corners which I will cut from one fabric. Think I will still need to make 3-4 more, which is fine because metallic fabrics keep falling out of my stash.

The fabric I wanted to use for the sashing I've put somewhere... that's getting critical to find but it can't be too deep because I just had it with the fabrics the other day.