2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the group, tranum and LarasAussies. LarasA, I love your thinking process. tranum..little projects do eat up stash and makes us of those odd ball FQ's you bought because you like it, and just doesn't go with anything else. I'm thinking of making some WIP project bins for my co worker and me at the LQS. Generally we only each work on a separate project at a time and since we are both are PT and work on these when customers are not needing help project may take a week or more. I'm always looking for a bag to hold my project in...this would solve my problem and I'm sure S would appreciate it, too! Heading to find some fun fabric for both of us!
Old 02-23-2019, 02:12 PM

OK?...I've been watching some youtubes on project/scrap baskets and/or boxes etc. to make for my new sewing room. Great minds think alike and misc FQ's are perfect for most of the patterns I've seen.. I'd like to make them now but that would require creating another box to pack. I think these will be fun to make while I'm waiting for house to finish construction.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I think this is the very first time in 20+ years - we went on vacation, 11 days, Florida & Savannah Georgia and I did Not step foot in a single quilt shop. My hubby kept asking...” did you look to see where there are quilt shops? “ “We could find you a quilt shop tomorrow if you know where there is one...”
nope, it’s ok
i thought about all I had at home, the projects I have planned, the stacks and totes of scraps. I just didn’t want to add anything- and when we visit them I always feel that I need to purchase ( something- a book, new tool, fabulous new fabric) nope, not this time. And what’s really *weird* is this is the first time I actually left home with $450 in my purse I figured I could spend if I wanted to- saved specifically for this vacation.
I bought myself a couple sweaters, a couple blouses ( in high hopes at some point it will stop snowing and I will get to wear them)
i came home with money, and nothing to add to the clutter of my shelves. And, I’m totally ok with it. It’s not as if I’m in a slump- I’m motivated and productive- using what I have.
i do seriously need to implement a scrap saver method and get totes cut up & organized- and hopefully offered and let go of. I would love to just start cramming bags of scraps into flat rate boxes and mailing them off. I am very tired of the mess.
Anyway- successful trip, still holding true to my moratorium.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Go for it Teen! I've had some Sterlite plastic drawer units and I figured out what size would best work for the drawers. I wanted them as high as could be without getting stuck. You can customize the size to fit your needs and would suggest you to plan them accordingly. Make a small one to get the feel of technique.

This was the first pattern I tried and use them on my bedroom armoire shelves to hold unmentionables etc.

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewi...w-fabric-bins/

I haven't tried these, but thought they looked great.

https://blog.bernina.com/en/2015/09/...ons-for-quick/

I can't remember where I found the pattern for the drawer baskets, but I really like them. I'll try to take a pic and figure out how I did it. This is the kind I will make for my project bins.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:16 PM

RetiredT, I teach 1-hr after-school programs mostly. The programs are science-based, for grades K-6. The morning classes are also science, fifth graders, and I think it’s those schools’ main science programs. We are contracted to do the morning classes through mid-March. The afternoon classes are enrichment programs the parents pay for. In the summers I teach full-day science camps. Exhausting! I'm with the kids from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm. No quilting time or energy in the summers.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Wow, Silly Susan: I applaud you for working with older students. But then to do Pre-K. You are a brave lady.

Welcome Nita and LarasAussies.

tranum: Learning to do FMQ is something I want to explore more. Congratulations on your progress.

oksewglad: Yes to trying to get some snow off before the storm tonight. We only had flurries last night. Now we are on the edge where it could be 3" or 10". LOL! Winds are supposed to be very gusty tomorrow so my son may be cancelling his 36th birthday party if the weather gets bad.

ckcowl: Way to go with not visiting any quilt shops. I feel the same way about buying if I am in a new shop.

Teen: Are you still in your house or in the RV now?

Conchalea: We have the afterschool science program at one of my schools also. I knew you did camps in the summer but I didn't realize they were full day science camps. I would be exhausted too after those days.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 02-23-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:23 PM

Ok....thank you for the links...I've bookmarked them. I will follow advice and make one each and try pattern out first.

retired....My home sell fell out of escrow last month so I am still in my mostly vacant home. Praying for the perfect buyer. God's timing!

More power to you peeps who instruct the youngin's....that is exhausting. I'm an adjunct psych professor at university and sometimes even these students act like youngin's... Lol.. I typically just instruct one course a quarter (2 times a week evening course) but I've done two before but only if university in an over-enrollment bind.

Last edited by Teen; 02-23-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM

(My hubby kept asking...” did you look to see where there are quilt shops? “ “We could find you a quilt shop tomorrow if you know where there is one...”
nope, it’s ok
i thought about all I had at home, the projects I have planned, the stacks and totes of scraps. I just didn’t want to add anything- and when we visit them I always feel that I need to purchase ( something- a book, new tool, fabulous new fabric) nope, not this time.)
I think your husband and mine must be cut from the same bolt! LOL My husband is Always trying to get me to go into quilt shops when we travel, and like you, I can't go in without buying something. Lord knows I have enough stuff to keep me occupied for another lifetime!
Still, I almost fell off the wagon this morning. Those darned emails lured me in to a shop and I kept putting things into my shopping cart, trying to get enough for free shipping. When I went to check out and saw my total (never did get to free shipping) I said No Way! and deleted it all. And I will be deleting those emails without opening them, since I am so prone to giving in to temptation.
I thought this fabric moratorium would be a breeze. I was wrong. I have no willpower!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-24-2019 at 06:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

I disagree...you deleted the full shopping cart and plan on getting rid of the emails. As well you have avoided LQS on trips...I think you have great will power...keep it up!

I'm thinking I will use 1 1/3 yds in each of the project bins with scraps leftover. Found one piece to use (out of four) then decided to put quilt on LA. It's a charity quilt with a cheap fleece backing and no batting...makes for poor quality stitching, but I wanted to practice before I put the next quilt on. The last quilt I quilted was early October. i hope to use the same stitch on the next one, too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-24-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 PM

CK and Mary Christine, you both have shown great will power! Just keep thinking that whatever project you do will decrease your stash and you'll have a better chance to feel that you have control.

Since I never buy fabric on the internet (I have to see and feel the fabric in person before I buy any) I am not tempted by emails or flyers. My temptations come from LQS. You should see me avoid even looking in the direction of fabric at Walmart or Hobby Lobby when I go to them for something unrelated to quilting. Since I started getting serious about the Moratorium, I slipped up only twice when the local thrift shop had a special sale on sheets. When 2 king size flat sheets in like new condition were only $1.50 each and I had a $1.00 coupon... I couldn't resist. They are now 12 crib sheets that have been donated.

It's a slow process, but if we keep focused on the goal, we can do this!!!

Last edited by SillySusan; 02-23-2019 at 08:47 PM.