Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7 47 56 57
Results 1,401 to 1,419 of 1419

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

I've been absent for a few weeks, visiting friends & working on the tee shirt quilt for the husband of my late riding friend. With the borders, the top is 72" X 90". I put a few smaller decals with the large ones & still had a small gap. I searched through my patches from a long-running ride to benefit breast cancer. I found the one from 2018, the last ride she was able to actually ride. She came to the 2019 ride but wasn't physically able to do the ride. I added the 2018 patch because she was one of the main organizers for that ride so it was appropriate. The process of putting the top together was sad but may help me cope better with her death. I have had to buy stabilizer & fabric for binding, borders, & the backing. But since most of it will be used, I won't count it as stash.
    I did use stash to complete an art quilt for the friend I visited during August. My phone won't let me resize (or I can't figure out how to do it!) Its a wall hanging, about 55" square. I'll try to figure out how to post it.

Conchalea: It sounds like you are making great progress on your tee shirt quilt. It will be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded a picture resizing app for my phone. I have an iPhone and the app is called ‘resizePhotos’ which is appropriate I guess.
    Connie

Connie, sadly I have an android-type phone. Bleh. I have to wait almost 2 years before I can go back to an iPhone. I transferred the photos to my computer so I uploaded the pic of my art quilt to the UFO thread.

Break time! I'm putting together the back for the Post Card quilt. I'm using large scale prints and panels that weren't used in the top. One of the panels is so terribly skewed that no amount of tugging or blocking or anything else was going to save it other than chop it into small bits or use it in a back, so I tried to do the best possible squared edges or else it would make big billows in the back. When Walmart had the $1 a yard sale, I bought a large piece of yardage with globes and such on it. Almost all of it will be used in the back, will have maybe half a yard left so I consider that now out of stash

Hubby is starting his bowling league today, my goal is to have the back done by the time he is home. But of course I decided to use a piece of fabric that wasn't prewashed yet -- it's on the spin cycle now. Good excuse for lunch and some Quilting Board

Edit: No grandbaby yet. When he missed the 5th, and then missed the outrageous lightening storm we had, I'm figuring the 10th sounds good. I know it will sound good to the son and DDiL.
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-09-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Grandbaby Update

Woohoo! Just got word, baby born this morning via c-section after some 35 hours of trying. Welcome to the world Leon Mateo. Everyone is doing well, but DDiL is worn out -- no doubt! I'm ready to go and meet Leon but will try and contain myself and hope to see them tomorrow.

Finished up the postcard back yesterday, here's a picture of it and a picture of the border corners folded into the middle since I couldn't figure out a better way to take the picture. Each corner is a different fabric, in the center of each side is a 5th fabric. The batik map of Indonesia was a thrift store find, I think a whole $1.99. The globe/atlas fabric was one of my Walmart $1.00/yard buys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. So exciting!

Fun quilt.
    Connie

Exciting news, Iceblossom! Your quilt is great.

Iceblossom, wonderful news!
    Our granddaughter is making her entrance tomorrow, also via C-section. We're flying out on Friday to see her. How will I ever be able to leave???
    Enjoy that darling boy!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the grandbabies, ladies. My grandbabies are all grown up, and I miss them dearly.

I am excited that my quilting buddy is coming for a mini-retreat till Saturday. And another quilting buddy may come over to "play in my sandbox" too. We will be doing lots of sewing, and prepping some of her tops for the longarm. And tomorrow we will head out Lancaster direction to pick out some blue solidish fabric to use as a border for my Porelain Blue rail fence top. I have backing for it, and fabric for a wider border, but it just needs some blue. None of what I have on hand works. I will buy what I need and no more, unless I can find a good crackle or marble to add to the stash for future projects. I have done quite well on using up stash, still a long way to go, but progress is progress, no matter how miniscule.

Congratulations Iceblossom and SusieQ!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Keep it up grann of 6! Lots of shops in Lancaster...it's been years since I was there. My DSis lives in southern Chester Co. No she's not a quilter, but she took me there anyway! Yes progress is progress. i think that every time I use fabric up too.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Was able to meet Leon yesterday. Such a marvelous thing a new life. I think he favors his mother, he certainly has her coloring which we expected so he has a nice head of dark hair. He also has his mother's feet! LOL, when my son was born and I saw my squiggly toes on him I knew he was mine, Leon has pretty feet Love those little unused baby feet.

So no sewing today. Going back for some more visiting and baby time.

Congrats on the new grandbabies! Makes me want one!
    Grann of 6 have fun playing with your friends! You've done really well using your stash.
    I bought a quilt kit off of Bluprint but using it right away so not counted (thank goodness). Long story but was making a quilt for MIL and auditioning colors when she told me she didn't like the colors. She was really liking the color teal. I don't have that many teal fabrics - hence the kit. The good news is my son saw the colors of MIL's and really liked it so after changing some of the fabric out I will make the bargello quilt for him. Already have the backing for that one so not all is lost . Hopefully will figure out backing for MIL one from stash as well.
    Note to self I will not show her again until the quilt is done and wrapped as she seems to want to "manage" the projects.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    Well I did well until yesterday. I had to buy a piece of fabric to make a baby quilt. Specifically with bunnies on it. Of all my fabrics I did not have any with bunnies. I am not sure if I am totally happy with my choices but the availability of bunnies is not so good right now. If I wanted owls or kitties I would have been able to wander the aisles and have found a treasure trove. I know I can work around what I have and make it work. I only wish I did not have to buy any. I have been working off my stash for months now with only very little fabric purchases. This has really helped to keep me from spending. No more now. No more...

Julia, good job resisting all the temptations you saw at the store! I know its hard-ehen I chose the fabric for the memory quilt, I saw LOTS of fabrics I loved & wanted. I resisted them, however tough it was.

What fun, Iceblossom and SusieQ. Enjoy your grandchildren.

Mom and baby and daddy went home last night. We had another great loud thunder and lightening storm, not as big as the one on Saturday.

Time to select a new project and time to put off those paper pieced blocks again!

I recently accepted a box of precut squares and have been thinking of ideas to use them with. I also have quite a collection of metallic fabrics. I'm going to go through the box of squares and pull out the metallic ones, slice them in half and make them into kites/squares (the diagonal cuts would be the outside edges).

There was a picture here somewhere posted recently of a quilt done like that with consistent sashing between the scrappy squares. I'm thinking all metallic fabrics with some basic black would work even though I had a hard time working with the black with the postcard quilt.

The quilting shows on PBS will be starting soon, will be a good sorting project to do while I watch them

Edit: Here's my inspiration -- Thanks Mim!
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-quilting-summer-t306785.html

Edit 2: Darn it! I'm a day off... I guess that's what Friday the 13th does when you think it is Saturday. But in good news there is a quilt show starting at 9:00 so off to sort fabric I go.
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-13-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Well a couple of the ladies from my Tuesday group and I tried to go to a quilt show today. Only that guild hadn't had a show in a couple of years nor had they updated their website so when we went to the location nothing was there... we were two years too late apparently.

So, when life throws you a curve ball we went ahead and went to a quilt store instead. First time in an actual quilt shop (as opposed to Joann) in months, first time in this shop ever. So many lovely fabrics... I really like some of the current lines and colors and the way the colors grade/move through the fabrics. Could have bought yards and yards but admitted up-front that I wasn't supposed to be buying fabric. The counter ladies laughed and said there were (direct quote!) "No fabric moratoriums here!".

Despite that reassurance, I did buy a yard and a half of a white with colored confetti sort of tossed print that I will use with some of those non-metallic squares that were gifted to me. For that project, I'm using the quilt here as my inspiration. So I bought it for a particular use and am going to congratulate myself on my restraint rather than criticize for the purchase

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...o-t306553.html

The squares will be juvenile fabrics surrounded by the confetti with the sashing made of more of the squares.

In the window of the shop was a quilt very similar to what I'm doing with the first round of metallics. That one only used 4 fabrics and rotated them so squares were formed across the lattice, it looked nice, it was tagged as a 5 yard quilt -- good to know if I wanted to do something more controlled.

Blog Entries
    Just added my current used totals, when GD gets her FMQ done on 4 little quilts I will be at a -9 yards. The 4 yard Goodwill purchase hurt just a little. My next quilt to go onto the LA will have over 18 yards in it with backing and binding so that will really up the total. I got pictures, but need to resize them on my phone to send them. Ugh..
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; Today at 03:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7 47 56 57