2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-27-2019, 07:49 AM

I currently get a lot of quilting done because I don't do a lot of other things... lol helps that hubby and I are tolerant of each other and our overall lack of concern of dust bunnies, they fit right in with all the other critters in the house. He appreciates that I am able to keep busy and not fussy about him working so much. The reality is we need the OT, and he is a dedicated worker and I love that and admire that about him.

I'm really grateful that I've been able to have the whole house and the whole day to spread out my stuff, but it won't curtail me much at all to put it back in the sewing room. I'll be getting my steps in doing baby care instead of sewing.

I've had way too much coffee this morning and I did get all the pinned strips/sashing sewn once the hubby got up This is a diagonally set quilt and those long rows of sashing are long! They just went on and on and on.

But it is time for bowling date day and a couple of thrift stores. Like I say, I find some wonderful fabric and I pass up more than I take -- most of the time anyway. Today I'm actually hoping to find a couple of nice pairs of heavyweight leggings, the type with the really big bold knit print designs not subtle ones. I often find leggings with the store tags still on them, people get them home and find they are the wrong size or whatever. Last year I upgraded my jackets/blazers/sweaters, and then this year I've been working on various flow-y tops which I like pairing with leggings. I'm actually very happy with my wardrobe even though it is self described as "hippy dippy weather chickie" I'm really trying for more of a Stevie Nicks look than Rainbow Brite, but sometimes I wonder on my success ratio.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Last year I upgraded my jackets/blazers/sweaters, and then this year I've been working on various flow-y tops which I like pairing with leggings. I'm actually very happy with my wardrobe even though it is self described as "hippy dippy weather chickie" I'm really trying for more of a Stevie Nicks look than Rainbow Brite, but sometimes I wonder on my success ratio.
Thanks for the laugh Iceblossom. I find the older I get I want three things from clothing - a good price, it covers me, and they're comfortable.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 AM

As for fashion, or clothing, I have always wanted a wardrobe that all I had to do was grab a bottom and grab a top and they would go together, and I have achieved that in my old age.... grab a pair of jeans, and grab a knit tee top and I am all set to go. I don't dress up any more, have no desire to be a fashionista, never was. I don't like clingy clothes and want easy care. I do have a pair of black pants that if I need to be a little dressier, I will throw on a top that has black in it and I'm all set.

I had a little nap, the birthday cake is baked for DS, so I had better get down and do some binding before I have to get ready to go to DSs for his birthday dinner.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:59 AM

Had a few days off last week so made a trip with my husband to his hometown and of course had to check out the quilt shops on the way. Did not find anything that had to come home with me at the first two shops but found a clearance table at the third shop and so four yards came home with me. I sewed most of the day on Wednesday and was able to get the bags I was making for Operation Christmas child boxes done. the total was 170 although I have made more than that this year as we have used some during the year already. So about 50-60 yards used for that project. Also got 2 baby quilts done. No plans for them yet but like to have some on hand for when I hear of a need. Also went through one of the UFO bins and have started finishing one of the jelly roll race quilts that I have.

I did acquire two ufo's from a friend. All pinned and ready to quilt so these should be quick finishes for the church nursery.

hopefully can get some pictures of some of the finished soon and will post. Happy Quilting everyone
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 AM

I am off this morning to my oncology appointment and will drop off 6 quilts to them for raffle to chemo patients. I make them 12 a year so they can raffle off one a month. So my "obligation" is done for the year. I have made several quilts for my friend in NC for her to give to needy people who need a hug. Now I can play with my own fun stuff. I have 6 quilts yet to put on the longarm. After that I intend to just have fun with the stash. All 50 quilts I have made this year have used at least one precut and yardage from stash, only a couple needed a purchase of backing. So, you do the math, too much math for me, but I have empty spaces on the shelves and an empty file drawer that once held jelly rolls. I will say it has been a labor of love challenging myself to using stash.

Here is a funny thing my DS said to me the other day. I told him I would love to put new siding on the house. He looked at it and said, "It's fine, Mom, go buy a new sewing machine instead. You will get more enjoyment out of that then new siding on the house." I love that "boy".
Old 10-28-2019, 06:47 AM

Wow, it has been awhile since I've been here. You ladies are doing wonderful getting things done. I have been doing great as far as not adding to the stash since I've been MIA. Of course, there was no sewing being done either.

I lost another one of my quilting buddies a couple of weeks ago. That's 2 in the last 6 months. I fell into a funk.

But, I seem to be working through it little by little. I did put the borders on 5 old, old projects (UFO's). I used only stash. And, only had to buy backing fabric for one. I splurged to get the print I wanted. The other 4 backings came from stash.

I took my birthday exemption and bought a Fall Leaf pattern and Fall fabrics to go with it. It was a complete departure from my bright brights. I bought muted fall fabrics to make the quilt.

That's it, no other confession. I've been staying out of the fabric stores and no online shopping. I kind of miss it some days and other's I don't.

The last time I was on here, I had purchased some bunny fabric. The pattern I tried did not work at all with those fabrics. The scale was off. So, I still have the fabrics and have to adjust what I was going to use them for. I am wishing I never purchased the fabric now. Oh well, I will find a use for them. Maybe even a couple of doll dresses for my granddaughters dolls will fit the bill. I can always donate the extra. Will have to give it some more thought.

Oh, I must confess, I did find 5 quilting books at the thrift store. Honest, I was rescuing them. In all honesty, I only have a limited amount of space to store them and if they don't fit in that spot, I regularly go through them and donate back to the same thrift store for them to re-sell them again. It's hard to pass up between $1 and $3 quilting books. Sometimes it feels like I'm just borrowing them for a small fee.

Last edited by Judith1005; 10-28-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:47 AM

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Judith. It's ok to go into a funk. It's one of the things I really like about this board is I keep getting enough ideas to not go into a funk or be overwhelmed by the fabrics I'm trying to use. Just when I'm looking for my next project, one comes up! That's the nice thing about fabric is it will be there when you want it, and if you don't want it any more -- well, it doesn't mind being passed on. I like having something to work on, it helps me from going into funks.

The Scrap Metal project is coming to a close, it will be worth a picture by the end of the day, even if not complete it will be substantially. All of the rows of sashing are on and now I'm joining rows together. I'm used to a certain length of things, and these diagonal rows are so long! Still, this is always a joyful part of the project for me, when all the front loading of work comes to a fast and speedy end.

And I already know what the next project is, as well as the other things I have going along on the side

Take care all, Grann my thoughts are with you as you go to the doctor.

BTW, leaving the setting triangles large is not causing me any issues with the sashing. Once the rows are together I will be trimming down using the points of the diagonally set blocks as my reference and they will all be trimmed down to the seam allowance.

PS: No fabric came home with me this weekend. I did get three pairs of bright bold leggings, all on tag day (so half off) for about $10 total, and keeping Rainbow Brite in mind, I passed up on some of the bold funky new knee high socks they had that were really appealing to me.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:30 AM

I have a feeling about quilting books, and it is a good feeling, even if purchased full price and there is at least one or 2 patterns you like, you are gaining. You will have something cheerful to look through and you will have some new patterns to use the stash with. When I'm in a little bit of a funk I buy a new quilting book. I don't get my nails done, I don't go to the hairdressers, and I don't frequent bars. So what's wrong with buying a book or two.

Visit with oncologist was basically good. No more Prolia shots because it is affecting my jaw, but now I have to see a rheumatologist to see what can be done about my severe osteoporosis. Oh, well. I have been cancer free for 5 years, so that is a good thing.

I got a chance to speak with a chemo patient who has seen my "blankets". She thanked me for making them and how much they all appreciate them. It feels good to know they are appreciated. Now I can get back in the groove and be on to something new.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:38 AM

I'm back on the boards because I just sewed the wrong two rows together and now I have to pick out about 8-9 feet of seam! Good thing I can see the grey thread on most of the fabrics.

Good to hear your visit went well and you got to talk to someone about your gifts.

Another 2-3 feet to go and I'm back in the sewing room!
Old 10-28-2019, 04:59 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Well, I bought pa anel to reward myself for finishing the signature quilt.. The recipients loved it and cried, so that is all good. I rewarded myself with a custom digital panel and some ombre yardage to make a present for my BFF from 9th grade. It’s going to be the panel surrounded by OBW blocks. Can’t post a picture, since this is a custom panel, but here is a link.

https://www.hingeleyroadquilting.com...northcott.html