2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM

It's a good thing I don't mind quilts wearing out, my goofy dogs and cats don't help their longevity. Many years ago (again, back around Y2K) I participated in a cat block swap, it was my first block swap. My Mother in Law had a side business as a licensed home/pet care taker and just loved it and raved over it. So... between visits (she lives in Michigan, her son moved out here to Seattle to be with me) I made her own version.

We were getting ready for her visit and I was trying to grab some shots of the quilt before it was given away and so of course the dogs had to help. My hubby was in the doorway which is why their attention is turned away from me. Mother in law was floored when she realized the quilt was for her and we already had a box ready to mail it to her so she didn't have to worry about it in luggage. She still remarks all the time about it, quite gratifying!

In my quilt the swap was "off white" which some people took pretty dark. I decided to make my life more complicated by not only a pieced border but then couched cording over it.

In the MiL version, I was slightly more sensible and used the same fabric for the backgrounds and a quilting design in the borders. To connect the projects even further, the "beds" of the quilt were both done with the same paw print meander (and I used both the meander and the border in the recent Here Kitty Kitty quilt).

Edit: I still have an entire box of cat fabrics. Sort of went overboard in collecting there. Just recently (as in last week) the Goodwill near me had a piece of the 3rd over/2nd row halloween cats but with the orange background. I am quite proud of myself that I didn't buy it.

But I must make a thrift store buy confession, today I bought an entire bag/roughly one box size of someone who went through a fabric dying binge. I can recognize it because I went through one of those my own. But a huge amount of lovely hand dyes for $7.99. It is definitely stash and will be a year or two before I even think in that direction (I hope!).
Attached Thumbnails my-cat-corner.jpg   mil-cat-border.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-30-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 PM

That is so cute, Iceblossom. My quilts get changed on my bed at least weekly because of the body who spends most of his time on said bed. At least this dog is fairly neat, unlike the other Dane. Waylon actually has his own quilts on his bed on the floor. He gets my rejects The 2 currently have been when I had quilting issues. One I discovered I already had the quilt off the frame that the thread had jumped out of the tension disc on the last bobbin change, causing loops on the back. I didn't think it would hold up too well that way, and was unwilling to attempt to corredt it after the fact. The other quilt also has stitching issues, where the Prostitcher program has some glitch in it, cuasing a miss in the design. I was on the last pass, and since I didn't much LOVE the quilt anyway, I donated it to the dog cause. He doesn't mind at all that he gets the rejects.

I didn't get any sewing done today but did get one quilt quilted.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Iceblossom, I enjoy seeing your finished projects. The metallic multicolored one is very handsome, I feel a teenager guy or girl would really love the quilt.

The sea sea life top one is very pretty too. I’m looking forward to seeing it completed.

Cute puppies.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Nice quilts IceBlossom. I really like both of them. The quilting in the border of yours with the couching is very unique. I like it very much.

It has to be very tough to pass by those great deals in the thrift stores. I try to stay out of my favorite thrift because I'm afraid I'll find too much to bring home. I do know if you go often though, that you can find some very unique finds.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:46 PM

I like everything about this quilt. First that 'anything goes' to use up scraps. Second I like color and it has plenty here! and Third I love the lattice look and the fabric that anchors it all. I don't blame you for claiming it as your own.

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Presenting Scrap Metal, I still have to put on one more round of the sashing for the border.

Part 1 -- The Project

This was the project that inspired me, 2nd photo first post.
my quilting this summer

First off, I've really gotten attached to this project and while it was not the intent when I started it, I decided to keep it as one of my own.

It was made using precut 6" squares that were given me, and when those ran out I went into my Y2K era metallic swapping squares and stash. I started boldly by taking out any metallic embellished fabrics, I used glitter, frost, foil, gold, silver -- the rule was "if it shines, it is mine" and slicing them in half along the diagonal. Didn't know that the block size would turn out to 7.5" raw/7" finished until I made a few. I do prefer using 6.5" squares and trimming them down, but the 6" worked just fine. Some of the fabrics I used were pretty awful ugly and I'd say most I'd classify as "hard to use".

Each block takes 2 squares of fabric, there are 72 blocks. Each setting triangle is the equivalent of 1 square, 22 of those. 4 corner triangles equals 2 more precuts. That's a total of 168 precut squares should you go that route.

I really wanted to use the fabric I had for sashing and my scrap which was "flag" shaped (a long stem and a short flag of WoF) was another challenge, especially wanting to change the directions on the cuts so that it would all be the same direction in the end... Had to bring out my old geometry knowledge and quickly realized that the 2.5" cut/2" finished sashing I wanted wasn't possible, but I had plenty for 2" cut/1.5" finished. As I designed it with 2" sashing it would have been 80x93, as it is, that 1/2" difference makes 76x88" inches. An additional border of some sort like Mim showed would make it a more standard size.

I tried to make this project as random as possible. I did the final layout in about 15 minutes, the tags I put on show the stage where I randomly put blocks together in groups of two. I think I have learned tricks about working with scraps over the years and I think I did good. There is a part of me (more in post 2) that wants to lay out each piece to precision and effect, but heck -- as the hubby said "wow, there's a lot going on there". I'm pretty sure a couple of pieces got moved when I was putting on the row labels. /shrug -- who can tell?

One of the way I judge my projects is "Does my mental image match the final product", this gets a 10 out of 10 for that.

So picture 1 is the top, picture 2 is a detail of the sashing and what that final border will look like. In my case I used the same foiled fabric for all four corners.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 AM

I did it, I'm so proud of myself. Someone on the board posted links for new patterns yesterday. And, upon looking, I found several I wanted to make. My first thought was to buy the fabric to match the demo piece. In fact, I was all ready to roll with 25% off coupon on my phone.

But instead, I decided to check my stash. As luck would have it, by thinking outside the box, I already have the perfect fabric in my stash. And, by getting a little more creative, I will have just enough (very careful cutting) to make the first pattern I saw.

No purchase was made. That coupon is going down!! lol Yipee for me. With the return of my energy, my quilt top making creativity is returning. Now to finish up my 5th UFO top, my next block for a quilt along and then I can start cutting up the fabric for my new top. If I'm really careful, I may have enough for a border. Maybe......I don't like to add borders to all my quilts. But, this one is going to have a lot of seams. It may make it easier for the LA'r to quilt.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 AM

Way to go Judith1005 ! Glad to see the board is rubbing off on someone other than myself. I have been "shopping" my stash (and someone else's), so the odds are double that I would be able to find something that will work.

It feels amazing when you can find the perfect something to finish a project and you don't have to pay a cent for it.

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:46 PM

Good going, Judith. Since I have been doing most of my shopping from my stash, I can relate to that feeling of accomplishment when you shop "locally".

I like borders, I think they finish off the quilt, like the matting in a picture frame. When you longarm it is especially nice to have a border without a bunch of seams to deal with. Too often, without a border, I find the edges of the quilt to be uneven and hard to lay flat.

I didn't do any sewing today, but did finish cutting the kit of the Bluprint trees. It has a lot of pieces, so it was very tiring on my back and hands. But at least now I can just grab an artbin with a project and just start sewing.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 PM

I may have to think about getting a couple, like 5 art bins and start with 5 of my most want to make next quilts. It would be nice to have them precut and with the pattern ready to go. And, when I finish those 5, I can get a couple more quilts prepped. I don't want too many sitting on hand or it could be a problem for me on loosing interest.

I decided to go through my patterns and pick about 10 out and put them in a binder for next year. Maybe then, I'll start making some of the quilts on my bucket list.

I Will shop from my stash first as my quilty budget is finished for the year. I'd be interested to see what I can come up with out of my stash. I know I have enough fabric for 2, two color quilts. And, those are on my list for next year.

I'm still hoping to maybe get my bunny quilt re-started. We'll see how much I can get done in the next 2 weeks. Maybe after that.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

Good for you Judith to look in stash for future quilt. Like your plan...hope to see some great finishes in 2020!

Found a Sunshine and Shadows quilt in a box marked Amish Spring..48 blocks all stitched together...about 58 x 84 flimsy. Found a large pink gingham piece for backing and quilted it with loopy meander...1/2 yard for binding also from stash. It's in the wash now. The light blue strips must have had something on it as over the past 25+ years they were discolored. Hoping it will come out in the wash. + Six yards of stash out the door!