2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

It is always (Dangerous) for me to go into any quilt shop with hubby along- he is a terrible Enabler! And he finds lots he thinks I should have. I have a whole stack ( like 14 yards) of wizard of oz fabrics from 7-8 years ago because he was sure I “ needed” them. I went into the store for a zipper- thought I was going to spend $2-$3 dollars- $254 later made it out. While I was looking for the right zipper he was stacking bolts on the cutting table! I’ve never done anything with those fabrics- ( Some day I will get to them) he also seems to have a thing for panels. I have many he has picked out, decided I needed. I love that he is proud of my quilting and wants to make sure I have what I need but....it is overwhelming sometimes.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
It is always (Dangerous) for me to go into any quilt shop with hubby along- he is a terrible Enabler! And he finds lots he thinks I should have. I have a whole stack ( like 14 yards) of wizard of oz fabrics from 7-8 years ago because he was sure I “ needed” them. I went into the store for a zipper- thought I was going to spend $2-$3 dollars- $254 later made it out. While I was looking for the right zipper he was stacking bolts on the cutting table! I’ve never done anything with those fabrics- ( Some day I will get to them) he also seems to have a thing for panels. I have many he has picked out, decided I needed. I love that he is proud of my quilting and wants to make sure I have what I need but....it is overwhelming sometimes.
But, he really loves you! You are so lucky!!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM

ckcowl, congratulations on doing so well on your trip. I'm entranced by the thought of a husband encouraging fabric purchases. What a sweetheart!

Mary Christine, I had to laugh at your 'trying to get enough for free shipping.' How often I have done that, LOL.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:38 AM

You all are so inspiring!!! I just emptied my MSQC cart and can get back to happily sewing with my stash. Thank you sooooo much.

Linda in MO
Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I"m in the middle of a snow storm...does that count as being strong!!!Better go sew some stash..
Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 AM

ck what a sweet man to encourage your quilting. Mine said just the other day that he was proud of my quilts. That gave me such warm fuzzies.
Welcome to our moratorium. Sure hope it helps you as much as it has me.
Linda congrats on your willpower. Really to all of you who have resisted temptation. And reducing stash.
Thanks for that link oksewglad. Great pattern and I have a few spots those would come in handy.
I have been busy pulling fabric from stash to start a quilt for oldest son and one for his furbaby. While doing that I got very excited when I realized that I have freed up half a shelf with my sewing efforts this past month. Woo woo!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 PM

Success! Yesterday, for class we were instructed to go into the store and purchase 2 coordinating fabrics. Of course, that requires looking at the fabrics, which I've avoided for months. Oh, the new pretties. So, I thought, after class I'd come back out and buy. During class I decided I didn't really Need anything. Went home with the class project! Yeh!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-24-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-24-2019, 04:51 PM

Teen: I was hoping I missed that your escrow falling through was resolved but like you said: God’s timing! Bless you for teaching college students!

Mary Christine and LTeacherGeorge: Congratulations on emptying those carts!

oksewglad: Yes a snowstorm qualifies for willpower because you were cooped up in the house and didn’t order online. . Besides, you know you can always buy the next time you work.

Elly66 and petthefabric: Great willpower!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Hey Connie...how's the snow up your way? I-35 closed from DesMoines to the MN/IA border.

FarmerSon lives half mile and a hill away...got here around 5:30 for evening chores..called his wife and told her to stay home. Think I will have an overnight "guest" tonight. It will be the first time in 22 years that he's not been able to get home. Wind is still blowing...who knows how much snow fell...it's blown all over the place even in our protected valley.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:20 PM

oksewglad: We probably got about 2" but, like you, it's hard to tell as the winds picked up today. We were in an area that said 'no travel recommended' so I observed that even though it really bothered me that my oldest and I didn't go to my other son's bowling birthday party which was about 20 miles away but lots of curves, hills, and spaces of flat farmland so not worth taking the chance as the wind picked up as the day went on. My birthday son and DIL along with her family made it but they were closer and had a fairly straight shot to get there.