2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Snow is such fun, especially if it's combined with 50 mph winds. I tried to dig out this morning. The drift just outside the carport was more than waist high as is the stuff at the road. The rest is about 20". I was doing okay, until I hit a layer of slush - my drive was underwater from melting when the storm came. I worked on it until I felt that I was hurting too many areas of my body, came in and contacted my GS - he's at work covering a shift for someone who's snowed in, called a plow number I took off facebook weeks ago and the couple be here at noon. I guess going to the bank can wait. I'm very pleased they could come that soon. Time to sew some snowballs together - that's funny - working on a quilt with snowballs when I'm snowed in.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:25 AM

All of y’all up north can keep the snow! Here in sunny central Texas we had shirt-sleeve weather yesterday & prob the same today. Of course, in July & August it’ll be 100+ here, so it balances out.

I got some sewing done last night, but spent most of the day decluttering. I’ve only managed to get through 2 rooms-I'm a border-line hoarder, I think.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
I'm a border-line hoarder, I think.
Perhaps that should be my catch phrase. While I'm getting the quilting under some control, I won't talk about the rest of the house. I donated so much stuff when we moved this last summer (I didn't want to move it and we downsized house-wise) but then I look around and wonder how we could still have so much!

Everybody getting socked in with snow just be careful. Perfect time to stay home where it"s warm and sew away.

While here in the Black Hills our last storm we got less than an inch I would say but I believe the high today was supposed to be a balmy 0. Left the house at nine this morning for a hair cut and the car read -4. Don't even want to know what wind chill was as the slight breeze was cold cold.

Perfect weather to be sewing and I have. Can't believe how much I've done. Tomorrow I am going to try to take pictures and show everybody all my projects.

Congrats petthefabric on your willpower. Sometimes just taking a few minutes time out helps in avoiding temptation. You could always go home and check your stash to make sure you have coordinating fabrics. If not then go back to shop later.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Here I am again. This time I bought 1/2 yd solid yellow. It's for a planned quilt. I had a bolt from the clearance table, hm'd and haw'd and finally said no. I did buy a book with ideas for D9P. I think this will be easy and use up some stash. So I think I did OK.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 AM

There is a JoAnns store within 15 minutes of my house ... Good thing/Bad thing! Good that I do not need to travel far when I truly NEED something, but bad in that the temptation to meander over there ever time I am in the small strip mall by is difficult to resist. So yesterday I stopped into JoAnns before heading into the grocery store (which is only 2 buildings from JoAnns). I am so proud of myself, in that I did not allow myself to even look at fabrics! I purchased a pattern to make my dog a coat (It has been a cold Winter here in CNY) and a QAYG book that appears to have some nice patterns designed for making with Scraps! One small step for me ...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-26-2019 at 05:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM

I'm continuing to make progress on the Not Quite Y2K flying square project. I got all of the 9 patches for the centers of the blocks done. I am pushing and stretching myself, although I typically work in scrap quilts I have a lot of rules to create "attractive randomness". With this project I'm pushing myself to just let stuff happen, I sorted my 2.5" squares into light and dark (mediums ending up in both) and put them in tubs and stirred them well. I've let things happen I never would ordinarily do, like a light and a dark green ended up next to each other, checks together, other things I wouldn't ordinarily let touch, I'm using non-fussy cut squares that are mostly background and wonky cut stripes... I'm finding I had many fabric rules I wasn't even aware of. It's good for me to push myself a bit here and there.

Today is small group day, I'll be pinning on the outer edges which are the off-white rectangles with an assorted fabric on the end. Although I've been very good about just letting things happen so far, I'm going to sort out the off-whites first to try and keep more than one in the same block, next challenge will be putting together the top so they don't touch without being too picky or letting it happen if it does. I have 42 blocks and I think I have a couple of off-white fabrics that have 12-15 pieces.

The first seam is a partial seam so that all the rectangles will be whole. This project is keeping me busy so I'm not even thinking about buying more fabric. Well not much anyway! Still financially short so yesterday when I had my doctor appointment downtown I didn't even tempt myself with checking out the big Goodwill. Hard driving right past it without stopping but it's easier to stay on a budget if you don't tempt yourself.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Good Job Iceblossom. Both on continuing on with the project and not falling into temptation. It sounds like this project is very organized in your mind.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:41 PM

Silly Susan, Great job on emptying out a giant rubber tub. I bet it feels great knowing what you have accomplished with all that great fabric.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Nita,

{So my goal for 2019 is to resist buying fabrics simply because 1.) I like them 2.) they are on sale or 3.) I have a coupon burning in my pocket. In other words, I allow myself to buy fabrics only when I actually "need" and plan to use in a project I am currently working on. }

This is a great plan, and actually great inspiration as well. Thanks for sharing it. I find your top 3 reasons have been my justification for buying more fabric, all the time. I am inspired to keep trying to buy only if I "need" that fabric to finish a project and only after perusing my stash first.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nita View Post
There is a JoAnns store within 15 minutes of my house ... Good thing/Bad thing! Good that I do not need to travel far when I truly NEED something, but bad in that the temptation to meander over there ever time I am in the small strip mall by is difficult to resist. So yesterday I stopped into JoAnns before heading into the grocery store (which is only 2 buildings from JoAnns). I am so proud of myself, in that I did not allow myself to even look at fabrics! I purchased a pattern to make my dog a coat (It has been a cold Winter here in CNY) and a QAYG book that appears to have some nice patterns designed for making with Scraps! One small step for me ...

Good job Nita. Only getting what you went for. I too recently purchase a couple of QAYG books for my Kindle. No space was taken up in the sewing room. lol