2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-31-2018, 08:50 PM

I so wish I could store my fabric out in the open. But, my sewing room resides in a Sunroom. So, way too much light. Which is why I really want to get all my fabric in the single chest I have in there. I ruler fold and sort by color in them. Which makes it nice to just pull the colors I'm looking for. It'll get there. I have great plans for making lots of quilt tops and finishing lots of UFO's this year. I will be saving like mad to just get my quilts sent out to a long arm'er again in 2019. It really helped me get caught up on a few things this year "2018". Since I'll be saving a ton of money by staying out of JoAnn Fabrics, maybe I will reach my goal of 12 quilted quilts for the year "2019". I reach 8 last year. 4 current projects, 4 UFO's.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 PM

I’m in again for 2019; I skipped last year knowing I would fail, and fail I did. I have new resolve and no space!

Linda in Missouri
Old 01-01-2019, 04:48 AM

Happy New Year ladies! So now we are officially in our Moratoriium phase of life. I am so proud that I can open up MSQCs site without any desire to shop. I think I probably have points to spend, but will save them for when I really Need a particular fabric. I didn't unsubscribe to sites, but have just been deleting them without opening. I think I have brainwashed myself to know I have everything I need for Any project I choose to embark on next or even off in the future. My big challenge will be my LQS. Once a month they have a "sit and sew" where we can take our machine and sew in their back room. You pay $5 and get it back at the end of the day if you buy something in the store. And the sewing machine store is next door, connected by a convenient door. The LQS has an old cart that she keeps full of bolts of fabric she wants to clear out, for $5/yard. Most of it being Moda or other name brands. She also has a bin I call a horse trough where she has what's left on the bolt for $5 a yard, but you have to buy the whole thing, usually only about 2 yards left. I usually go through and buy up lots of the sale fabrics. I tell myself she depends on me to help her clear out so she can get in more. How am I going to break her heart by not buying anything????

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-08-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-01-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Well....both my favorite sites had 50.00 gift certificates for 40.00 so I bought them with the thought that I’d have that limit for the next three months. There are a few fabric lines coming out that I’m really excited about so this way I can get some without overspending to buy the whole fat quarter bundle. I’m also thinking if I do some project planning, I can keep myself busy with the fabric and projects I already have.
I purchased a couple of GCs for myself too...there’s always a notion or something I need in addition to fabric. You never know when they’ll come in handy. I don’t have a large stash but I certainly want to be mindful of purchases this year. This looks like a great place for encouragement.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:55 AM

OK, ladies, we all have to square our shoulders, stand tall, and suck it in! No more stuff for stash!! We can do it!

Oh, and Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
Happy New Year ladies! So now we are officially in our Moratoriium phase of life. I am so proud that I can open up MSQCs site without any desire to shop. I think I probably have points to spend, but will save them for when I really Need a particular fabric. I didn't unsubscribe to sites, but have just been deleting them without opening. I think I have brainwashed myself to know I have everything I need for Any project I choose to embark on next or even off in the future. My big challenge will be my LQS. Once a month they have a "sit and sew" where we can take our machine and sew in their back room. You pay $5 and get it back at the end of the day if you buy something in the store. And the sewing machine store is next door, connected by a convenient door. The LQS has an old cart that she keeps full of bolts of fabric she wants to clear out, for $5/yard. Most of it being Moda or other name brands. She also has a bin I call a horse trough where she has what's left on the bolt for $5 a yard, but you have to buy the whole thing, usually only about 2 yards left. I usually go through and buy up lots of the sale fabrics. I tell myself she depends on me to help her clear out so she can get in more. How am I going to break her heart by not buying anything????
Grann, if you pay $5 to participate in sit and sew, and get it back if you buy something, it would be crazy not to buy a yard of the $5 sale fabric. Otherwise you just waste $5 and that's worse than adding a yard to your stash. In my view, that HAS to constitute an automatic exemption to the moratorium.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-08-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: edit quote only
Old 01-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Thank you Irish, I needed a good reason to go to the sew-in, and be able to do a little shopping. I may find some fabric for binding a quilt, or a border.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 AM

It's only January 1st and I already want to get online and order some fabric !!!!! That I don't need. I'm feeling weak and need to cruise the internet for fabric sales.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Be strong, Sewingitalltogether, don't let the internet get the best of you. Quick, delete them. All I need is to go to my sewing studio and see what I have to know I don't need any more. We are here to support you.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Hang in there sewingitalltogether! This is just first day jitters! You will get through it.