Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    JJ...quick finish and save! Did you use fleece similar to fleece yardage one can buy? How did it work? A retail store here has plush throws on sale for $15.....66 x 90 and toying with the idea of having a couple on hand to use as backings. They really are soft, but not sure how they will FMQ on a LA.

I went through my homespun scraps...don't have a lot of them. They are all pressed and cut to various widths, and now sewing them into strip sets end to end. I think I have enough to make at least one top. Scary thought is this is all donated fabric.

Keep strong ladies. We need to use up the stashes...or why did we buy it in the first place?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    I did it! Went to the lqs today for a class and didn’t buy any fabric. It was hard too, she had a new line in with cute little animals and mushrooms. I go back for the next class in 2 weeks. That gives me 2 weeks to come up with a project to use the fabric on or to decide I don’t need it that bad.
    Wonderful, PamelaOry! Good for you! It gives you two weeks to have your resolve firm enough to resist this temptation! Just keep thinking of all the beauties in your stash that are waiting to be turned into super quilts! You can do it! Remember, you have friends here on the wagon to cheer you on!

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    JJ...quick finish and save! Did you use fleece similar to fleece yardage one can buy? How did it work? A retail store here has plush throws on sale for $15.....66 x 90 and toying with the idea of having a couple on hand to use as backings. They really are soft, but not sure how they will FMQ on a LA.
    The fleece throw I used is from CVS-they are 3 for $10. They are super-soft, a bit thinner than the fleece I usually buy at Joann or HL, and I think a little bit stretchier. I have one I keep in the car that has been washed about a dozen times, and, so far, it hasn't pilled. It is a decent size for a lap quilt for all but large adults.

I'm not sure how if it would work on a LA. I spray basted them to the floppy a little heavier than usual to get the stretch under control. I used my Eversewn, and my only "problem" was getting used to how light it was compared to the queen sized quilts with W&N I've done.

I was pretty happy with it, and am considering picking up a few not just to use as backings and/or batting, but to make some baby clothes for my soon-to-arrive grandson.

You could come to my house. This time of year the weather is very mild. You could even shop my stash. Getting it out of my arms is another issue. Some of it has graduated and it's time to fly the coop. So I'm taking a few big sighs and wave good bye with tears. Then I turn to the deserted space and quickly fill it with something new....don't let the door hit you in the butt as you leave (move quickly). Who of you have taken over dear-moving-on-child's-room?

On the other hand, it might be time to downsize. Moving those weighty stacks is hurting my shoulders/elbows.

Have I talked you out of just trying to get that stash from me? You can still visit.
    Last edited by petthefabric; 01-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Close call today. In LQS, fat quarters - buy 5, get one free, I never have enough neutrals, start to pick them out. Nooo! Put them back. <feeling virtuous.

Congratulations! You did it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl40 View Post
    Close call today. In LQS, fat quarters - buy 5, get one free, I never have enough neutrals, start to pick them out. Nooo! Put them back. <feeling virtuous.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Thank you. :-)

Blog Entries
    Good for you, Pearl. There is plenty of room on the wagon for all of us.

Well, I finished up the 2nd quilt top made from a Craftsy kit. It is all ready for quilting. I saw Jenny Doan's tutorial this morning and knew I had just the right layer cake for it. So I went through my batik stash and found fabric for the sashing, and another one I am going to use for the cornerstones. Backing will also come from stash, but that will be chosen upon completion of the top. All the pieces and strips are cut and ready to go. I think I may take it with me for the sit & sew at my LQS on Monday. I may need to borrow some horse-blinders and a ball and chain to keep me in the back room away from the clearance bins ($5 a yard).

I am definitely in. I have not bought any since the first. I will shop only my own stash. It needs to be reduced. Sigh.

It’s never too late to hop on, Darcy! Happy to have you here, & I hope you have joyful hours shopping your stash & making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl40 View Post
    Way to go, Pearl!! That's a great win for you and your moratorium goals! You are an inspiration to all of us in that wagon!

I made the mistake of looking at Missouri quilt company’s batik. My down fall. Needless to say, I bought lots. This is my New Year fabric buy, so no more buying for several months. Just need to start working on my projects.

JJBean, I’m a Harry Potter fan and I understood your comment. FYI Missouri quilt has Harry Potter fabric.

Oh goodness, happylab..I know what you mean. They've got a FQ bundle I'm currently drooling over. I'm resisting so far. Take my hand and climb aboard the wagon again. We'll huddle in the back and pull a tarp over our heads. Lol..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Stay strong ladies! You can do it!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    I finished piecing my Wonderland mini quilt. So, on to the actual quilting of it tomorrow. Wouldn't want it to turn into a UFO.

No Harry Potter fabric for me. No more buying. I already slipped up once. I need to stay away from Missouri Star for right now. I bought some beautiful fabric in 2017 from Missouri Star. And, I need to get that made into a quilt soon. Now, I just need to remember what the pattern was. lol, I'm sure I have it written down somewhere.

I think Pam has the right idea. Stay busy, too busy to go shopping for fabric.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I calculated my output and input last year and it was pretty even. I will definitely want to do better this year. I am glad there is no way to calculate all of the scraps I get donated to me. LOL!
    Connie

I can sew again **happy dancing**

An upholstery shop told me about a little hidden hole-in-the-wall sewing machine repair shop run by a man who had to be pushing 90. Not only did he have the part I needed for my vintage singer (the presser spring), but he let me have it for just $1. For another $1, he let me have the feed dog cover so I can try doing some fmq, too. A third dollar scored me ten original bobbins.

For the first time this year, I was able to spend a whole afternoon sewing. I decided the stacks of crumb blocks and 4Ps that are my go-to L/Es were getting to high, so I put together a dozen of these blocks:

Name:  20190112_185047-resized.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  107.9 KB

The inspiration was BH's Fair and Square, but am starting to wonder. BH's had a red center square that gives your eye a place to rest, but I'm thinking the crumb center I used might make it too busy once I add all the strippy triangles. Maybe I should just add sashing and do it in rows.

**edit: the black border fabric was leftover from another quilt, so nothing spent on this one so far

Blog Entries
    I did a lot of quilting last year, made 43 quilts, but I know my incoming far outweighed the outgoing. A lot of that had to do with our bus trip to Paducah and then to MSQC for 2 days. I have enough Civil War FQs to make several quilts, not just one or two.

I am on my 3rd and 4th projects. #3 is all cut and waiting for Sew-In day at our LQS tomorrow. #4 is a BOM I got on sale at The Quilted Fox in St. Louis, MO. I am working on that one while the longarm is quilting. Yes, I have a computerized longarm (named Bob).

We are all doing so good with using stash!!

And, JJ, that is a wonderful find in your nice older gentleman!! You really got an excellent deal!!!

I pieced 4 tops (baby size) since Friday afternoon... all from my house full of stash, and I'm working on the 5th! I'm working from the myriad of different size squares I cut last years in a feeble attempt to gain some control of this mess! I decided to dig out the cute little designed ones and match them with matching solids from yardage. It is faster than digging through the masses of little squares! I have plenty of fabric for the backings and some batting, so these will be WIPs and not UFOs!

Name:  bug quilt.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  108.7 KBName:  bug2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  46.8 KBFinished another baby quilt all done from Stash Fabrics. Also have been tackling my large mounds of scraps and have 38 string blocks done so slowly making a small dent.

Blog Entries
    Everyone is doing great! Cute quilts gals. Now I have to get to some quilts that I have to quilt for some friends, before they get lost in the stack. I'll fire up the computer so I can sew while "Bob" is quilting, with just an occasional check to see he's still on track.

Wow! Some industrious people on this board. Grann, Susan, & Linda, you are all inspirations with your dedication to using stash. I also used some stash to make & complete a wall hanging this weekend. I finished the top to Unwind & wanted a break before sandwiching & quilting, so I made a Christmas wall hanging from stash fabrics. I am including the fabric with the final product for a Start to Finish show.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    JJ, I like your little scrappy block. I like the idea of adding borders to give your eyes a place to rest. That way, all your hard work won't be lost.

Linda Jane, I like your little panel quilt. You have been very busy.

Wow Sue, you are already on your 4th project for the year. You too have been very busy!

Conchalea, I like your pictures. So much inspiration showing where you started to where you finished. What a darling little topper or wall hanging. Love the fabrics. What a fun stash you have.

Here is a photo of my little topper so far. I am deciding on what to use for backing and then I will get busy quilting today.

My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

This is very motivating. I'm happy to report that I'm still going strong with no fabric purchased this year. (13 days is very good and a long stretch for me!) I estimate I used 6 yards of scrap fabric for the Town Square Scrappy Log Cabin which I shared on the board last week.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast