2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-02-2019, 05:17 AM

Something I just noticed! The middle square on left side that starts with Blue Elephant, Large Yellow, Little Hearts is also shown untrimmed on the previous pictures! In that case it is the bottom left block and is in comparison upside down and sideways. It starts with the short row of the light purple pin dot, large bright birds, grey polka dots and the elephant row is on the bottom. Sort of interesting to compare what they started like and how they ended
Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 AM

That's right Susie, I saw that in another thread -- I think both our grands are due right about the same time even? My first and probably only is expected first week of September -- which coincides with my birthday. The year I was born it was Labor Day... always found that fitting (Labor Day is first Monday of September so the date moves around). My grandbaby will be a boy. I was sort of hoping for a girl but if someone has to dress like a fairy princess it can always be me.

My dear son and DiL just came by yesterday and I showed her my secret baby quilts (I made them but never mentioned them, no pressure from me!). I've been wanting to be a grandma for so long, I swear it's worse than any urges I had to have my son She just loved the Monkey Quilt. It has Monkey fabrics and a terribly complicated pantograph monkeys eating bananas quilting design which is completely and totally lost in both the back and front fabrics. Oh well.. I still love that project and it was always intended for my own grandbaby. She wasn't as thrilled with the Under the Sea one, that's ok, I've loved doing it (not quite done yet, still stitching on the binding). She did select one of my donation quilts for a friend of her's whose favorite character is Peppa Pig, I called it "Pig Pen" because it has a large blocks of pig fabric. I made it because it is Year of the Pig and because it was a happy project.

I'll have to take some pictures after hubby is up and out of bed. That's my picture taking platform, I have rolls of heavy craft paper that make a nice work surface and quickly roll up or down and out of the way.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 AM

Well, I have been a bad girl again. Friday I went out to my fave LQS to see what she was "giving" away for $5. And she fulfilled my wishes. LOL I found 2 bolts, one with 10 yards, and one with 9, perfect for backings. The 10 yard one is black and browns, looks like a batik but it isn't. I have some JRs I have been saving for a quilt using dark brown for sashing, so this will be the perfect backing for it, and it can be a queen size since there is plenty for backing. Most of my quilts rely on how much backing I have, to make it a proper size. I also got some "finish the bolt" pieces of a yard or less, that will make good additions to some future quilts that are languishing in my brain. She had all her Moda fabric for $7 a yard, but I was good and didn't get any of that. Then at the end of the purchase I was able to stamp my "50 yard card" full to get 20% off any full price purchase. So I got a kit I have been eyeing, the new Wing and a Prayer kit named Tapestry. So I got $60 off the price. I figure that since my BD is next month it will make a nice gift to myself. I really don't need any more new projects, but Hey! life is short and if I become housebound I will have plenty to keep me occupied.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-02-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-03-2019, 09:21 AM

Oh grann of 6 it sounds like you had so much fun. Here's a hand back on the wagon. Pet the fabric for me ok?

Since my last fall, I've done pretty well. I have looked (which is tempting fate I know) but finally started the double irish chain from sew along here. Haven't decided how big yet. Will just keep sewing till I run out of 2 1/2" squares or the quilt says enough. I picked backing for a throw that's about completed from my stash.

However the much anticipated quilt show is this weekend and I'm already anxious to go. It's 2 1/2 days but will only go for several hours on Friday. Can't wait to see all the lovely quilts and vendors too. I was giving myself a pass on the moratorium for this. Can't come up with a good enough exemption so just a pass.

I'll try not to get too carried away though(the checkbook is smiling). Plan on going through my stash and see what if any colors I might need instead of just colors I gravitate to.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Well, I don't feel so bad about the purchases when I see quilts going out the door. I just mailed 5 quilts to my friend in NC who gives them to people she knows going through tough times. A lady from her church just lost her daughter in a car accident, so one quilt will go to her. Everyone needs a hug sometime. I have 2 quilts ready for the longarm and blocks cut for the next project. Today I feel like I am in limbo, can't get motivated to do anything. I did get the dishwasher run, and the bed sheets are in the washer, so the day is not totally lost.

Those wonky blocks are cute. I admire that you can loosen up and just have fun.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Hi guys, I did a sorting job on my stash a couple of days ago and (do I hear drums!!... Ta-da!) I have 6 empty tubs!!

Actually more than sorting, I combined tubs that I used some fabric from to make the dozens of quilts I've been making since 12/2017 completely from stash... no purchases except for 2 flat sheets.

I have 1/4 of the floor visible in the spare bedroom that houses the rest of the stash... in tubs, totes, shelves, closet, etc. I have a long way to go to be able to control this mess, but finally, I see progress! Yippee!!!

Now, I'm ready to get back to my trusty sewing machine.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Congrats, Silly Susan. It always feels so good to know progress is being made. I need to do some sorting and pitching, but find it more fun to make quilts with what is staring me in the face. I guess I am lucky that all my sewing stash is in one place, the basement in organized closets. I do have some plastic totes of fabric that has been given to me over the last few years, but it is on the furnace side of the basement and some in the garage, so out of sight out of mind.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 PM

Congratulations, Silly Susan! That is quite the accomplishment.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 AM

Well, Grann... you know what I say about things like that -- score!

Good job Susan! Six tubs is a lot and the important thing is that you can see the progress.

Wonky Brights is still in progress, I previously sewed them all into groups of twos, basically I'm going tall so I'm making two rows at a time but sewing them the short way. LOL, one of those things where a picture shows a thousand words. I'll take one in a bit, hubby still asleep. Best way I can explain is I pinned (5) 2-sets into 4 unit squares, and then I have 5 sets that are a 2 x 3 rectangle. With the seam after that they will be 7 blocks wide but two blocks high. I'm feeling ok again about the 7x10 grid + border for the top. Am currently considering border options.

Despite having to buy a couple extra pieces to complete the top, I did send those along with the other scraps to my crumb quilter so no net gain on my stash!

And then I'm starting to muse on to what I feel like doing next... I still have all sorts of things lined up, planned or in progress. I have a dull but necessary cutting project for my Postcards project, just a ton of black sashing, probably should get that out of the way. Postcards is one I am making for myself. I have collected a bunch of scenes and travel themed blocks that are cut actual postcard size. I then put a narrow dark/light grey attic window around two sides, so they are still rectangular. The blocks will be laid out on the plain black sashing, sort of like the old photo albums with the black pages. Then there will be a border of different sized rectangles of related large scale travel fabrics. The back will also be pieced from large pieces of large scale prints. Once the border and back are done I will declare anything left in that box as surplus and on the way out! Not sure if I want to commit to finishing the project quite yet but I do need to get that black cut...
Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 AM

I'd better get in here and encourage you all. With the surgery on this dratted foot, the Doctor and Nurse Rachett have taken away my driving availability. I am about to go nuts. One of you mentioned "housebound". I sure am. I have one neighbor who faithfully takes me to the laundromat each night to clean it and fill the change machine.

This has been really rough on an active person. I was told to stay in my recliner except to use the bathroom or brush my teeth. I think I am healed up and I've been out in the garden etc. Yes, I did obey for some short bursts of sewing down bindings. I think some of these quilts have five sides.

So far I have 15 going to this Honeyville sale.