Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Thanks for the compliments on my wall hanging. I enjoyed placing the small geese but I was tired of the size when I got through. I’ll post a picture when I finish sewing the top made from all the rest of those blocks.
    Teen, I think I agree that your situation is unique & we don’t want you to get desperate & do something crazy. Buy a bit of fabric to play with.

Conchalea: Very pretty quilt. I really like your flying geese corners.

My sewing mojo slowed down this week but I did work as a substitute teacher for 3.5 days and I am tired when I get home. I did finish sewing rows together on a top today and have 2 more sides to do for the first border and then need to add the final border. I will put the top away then until I feel I have practiced enough with machine quilting designs before I attempt to quilt it.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    My quilty friend and I are back from a day of sewing at our LQS. We are exhausted, but we accomplished a lot. There were 8 of us all together, some were on the Paducah trip with us last September. I got the center of the BOM together, and bought backing for it. I needed 9 yards and there was 9 1/4 yards on the bolt so I got it all. I am proud that I didn't buy anything else.

I'm sort of in-between projects right now, I want to quilt/sew but I don't know quite what to do. Earlier today I sorted out my strip box, took out everything smaller than 2.5" to put in my box of crumbs (I have a person on the board who gets them). Then I sorted the remaining 2.5" cut strips into two piles, light and dark. Going to make "flying squares", basically a 9-patch with an added row around each side of a neutral and a single square. Mine will be scrappy, the 9-patches will be purely scrappy, so no light/dark corners, just random. The neutral will be a piece of white on white I have in the stash. Here's a 2-color diagram/instructions:
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...es-quilt-block

The other thing I have to mindlessly sew is a baggie full of tiny little pieces of fabric I got in a box from an estate sale. The colors/fabrics go together and I think were to be handsewn as little triangles (they are small rectangular pieces with a finished sized triangle in pencil), me, well I got inspired from this thread and picked up some adding machine tape at the goodwill and am ready to do something grand. I hope! Check out Huntannette's pictures in this thread:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...s-t211152.html

BTW, if I do the adding machine tape I'm not going to count it as an UFO, it is merely prepared fabric waiting for it's turn

Great ideas here. Conchalea, pretty quilt from your leftovers. I have been using Huntannette's adding machine paper process since she posted it and I was able to snag some paper at a thrift shop. I use it to expand my backings but now revisiting her pictures there are some other ideas I forgot. Thanks Iceblossom for the reminder.

I'm very proud of myself. All the projects I brought to work on at my quilt retreat were from my stash. I avoided stops at quilt shops along the way to and from. I started working on a pattern that has panels of braids framed in a contrast fabric and then bordered with another fabric. The border fabric I had picked out won't work with the braids - too busy - but I will shop my stash tomorrow for something else and NOT buy a new fabric!

I love hearing how everyone is using up their stash!

I was digging thru the remnants at Joann's for flannels I need to make diapers, and did not resist the temptation to pick up 5 cotton remnants for my pre-cuts. I was tempted to get several more, but only purchased the colors I am low on, so it's a borderline slip. :/

Blog Entries
    I'm working on a couple of new projects...Now really you say. When I asked my oldest GS if he wanted a t-shirt quilt when he graduates from HS next year...he replied "no"...well how about a denim one? Another "no, I just want a quilt, Gma." That set me thinking. I had a supply of plaid flannels and homespuns in all sorts of small chunks. I began cutting in the widest widths down to the smallest possible. These pieces I sewed end to end in long strips. I had enough strips to sew a 68 x 80 flimsy with plenty to spare. I then improv sewed a little crib quilt from the leftovers. Now to find backings for them to finish them off! I have less than a fat eighth of assorted strips to discard...then all the homespuns are used up! I may have to buy fabric for backing...I saw some gold flannel at the shop that would work well. I need 4 1/2 yards for backing and binding for the big quilt and may have a scrap piece for the small one.

Last year I declared it the year of the triangle and organized all the random triangles I have accumulated. I'm sewing 6" Maverick stars and am using scrap print squares for the center of the star...Oh yes another project going!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

What wonderful ideas y'all have! And, such good plans for using up stash!! Even the little hops off the wagon have been tiny!!

I've been busy hand sewing the binding on the 8 baby quilts I made on an assembly line fashion over the last VQW... all from stash. I have only 3 left to go. Such a boring job, I had to check out a couple of Playaway novels from the library to keep me on task.

Blog Entries
    I am so proud of everyone, even myself. While I was re-organizing the mess after QF (Quilty Friend) and I came back from the sew-in I decided on another project or two from pre-cuts in my stash. I have a jelly roll and a layer cake of Polka Dots and Paisley that has been languishing way too long in the stash, so I am going to just make plain squares and wrap a jelly roll strip around the square, nothing fancy, but quick and easy. I'll cut charms from the layer cake. After this current quilt is finished I will need something brainless before the next one comes along. I already have the backing for the PD&P, so no shopping needed for it.

Progress! So today I am set up to cut. Before I took the BSR off the sewing machine I had to make a small little fix in the border of a baby quilt. Got that done. Foot and thread colors are now changed.

I put together the 2.5" strips I had in my stash to end up with 9-patches for the flying square blocks. Some of the pieces were short, others were WoF. I decided that I didn't want more than 4 of the same combinations, so cutting the strips down into 10.5"-ish pieces that I will sew together and then subcut into units. Got those trimmed down and put together and ready to start sewing. I should finish those today and press them, and then have them ready for my small group day Tuesday if I want to do something other than hand-sew the bindings of baby quilts.

Finished up the one extra postcard block that I had to make after I declared the blocks part of the project closed -- sometimes you just find a perfect fabric. I figured out the size of the sashing strips, the blocks are rectangular so not quite as straight-forward as usual. Once I lay out the blocks and cut the sashing that top will go together quickly.

I've posted it before in another thread, but here's some examples of my postcards:
    Attached Images Attached Images

JJBlaine; there was constraint in your choice. So climb back on and keep going, one day at a time.

Looks good when we all shop stash first.

Good job, using stash, everyone! I didn’t sew much this weekend. Instead I cut & organized scraps & fabric yardage. I’ve finished the top Surprise pinwheels but don’t have an immediate project ready to start, so I thought spending time refreshing my memory of exactly what’s in my stash would be a good idea.

Some may know this about me but I typically make a second quilt to donate using the remnants and scraps from the first quilt...that is what I am currently working on. The second quilt is a Dresden Plate and I am just winging it so it is evolving as I go based on the fabric that remains....except, I ran out of background fabric so I need to go to LQS tomorrow and buy another 1/2 yard. At this point, another stash fabric will look wonky since it is 90% completed using one background fabric. Just a bit miscalculation but what I buy will be used right away.

grann....I have a weakness for polka dots....love creating with them. Looking forward to seeing the finish. Sounds really cool..

Ice....cool postcards...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I intend to make dementia fidget quilts 24 x 24” using a bag of lace, trims and beads that probably came from Mom or Grandma’s house. I’ve completed 3 now and if I run out of ideas I can quit anytime.

I went to the LQS today and only bought what i needed. Another 1 1/2 yards of lime for the sashing of the current quilt. I had miscut 2 little squares and had no fabric to recut, so I had to find 1/4 yard of an alternate. The store didn't have the exact fabric, but they had lots from the line, Northcutt Artisan Shimmers, so I was very pleased. Such a nice fabric in luminous colors!

Teen, if it's to finish a project and stash doesn't work, then go buy it-you won't fall off.

I'm working on improv and the colors I want aren't in my stash. I have hundrends but not dark orchid, deep teal green, to go with brick red that's been died around the edges of the blocks. Still snowed in-sort of. I think tomorrow pm, I can get out. Then Wed pm it's suppose to start again. Overnight it's very cold so the slush turns to ice, my dog was ice skating. Had to carry her to underneath a tree to do her thing. It's all funny to see all of us deal with snow and ice. Maybe, I can go see my DD. Nice break.

Pet.. I'm an old Florida girl that moved to North Carolina about 50 years ago. I still can't walk on that terrible white stuff that falls from the sky. The thoughts of trying to carry a dog in it gives me shivers! Be careful out there!

Thank you, Petthefabric!! Feeling weak so....

*hand raised* As I visit the LQS today, I vow to only buy the 1/2 yard of backing fabric I need. I will completely ignore the lovely precuts and new collections displayed and will walk swiftly by the pattern section.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Stay strong Teen!

Oh folks I acquired some fabric yesterday...enough for a whole quilt. I'll share later...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    As promised...Name:  DSCN0781 (2) resized.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  485.0 KB and I've acquired someone's UFO...but isn't it a beauty? The baskets are hand pieced and appliqued to the muslin square and green and muslin squares are hand pieced as well. Along with the gift came some of "that" green fabric to finish the side setting. Also included was a little information about the quilt maker. How lucky am I? And now how should I finish this lovely...any suggestions?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oooooo...pretty, Ok!! What a treasure! Lucky you!

successful trip to LQS.. Only bought what I needed. Phew!

Beautiful quilt, ok! Please show us when you've finished it.

I bought 2 yards of fabric today to use as background for a batik braid quilt I started last weekend. I searched my stash first but had nothing in the right quantity that would work. I know it doesn't count as falling off the wagon, but it was hard to resist some of the other pretties in the store.

Lovely Oksewglad. It is nice you got some info on the quilt maker too. I only got 2 small bags but some nice sized scraps from my last donation from church ladies.

Some more successes by several of you buying only what you needed. Congratulations!

I dumped out 2 huge tubs of small yardages/scraps at 2 different times today looking for some suitable pinks. I finally found what I needed but I know I should start sorting those huge tubs.

My scene from my sewing room:

Name:  71E75A9E-06CC-466F-98F2-896F169D94C4.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  179.5 KB
    Connie

Beautiful, Retiredteacher! But, it looks much too cold for me! How many inches of snow do you have there? Here, if the weather man even whispers the "s" word, everyone runs to the grocery store and in an hour or two all the bread, milk, snacks and beer are gone. Usually when it snows here, we get just a couple of inches and we are paralyzed for a week! No school, no church, ... everything is cancelled!

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast