2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Okay, I have started on project #2 of the new year. Another Craftsy kit. And I am proud to say I have managed to resist going out shopping. Now next week will be the big test when I go to my LQS for the monthly sew-in. I am going to have to fight off the desire to shop her clearance fabrics for $5 a yard, many being Moda fabrics.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:15 PM

Conchalea -- wonderful quilt. I seem to remember Jenny Doan had a tutorial on a similar quilt, but now I can't find it. I love the idea of the outlier pink backwards spinning star.
Teen -- obviously you were well loved by the quilt shop. I hope when you get settled you'll find another one. Who knows, by next year you'll be joining us in reducing your UFOs!

The closest shopping center to me contains Office Max, Big Lots, Dollar Tree and JoAnn's. All four call to me big time. So far I've resisted stepping foot in JoAnn's, but the next time thread is on sale I'll have to. Maybe I can blindfold myself and have a clerk lead me to the thread dept.? That would be a sight.

Over the weekend I pieced three strip quilts from stash and bordered a couple more. I have eight tops to quilt and so I pulled fabric to piece for the backs instead of buying new fabric. When I get these eight finished I will have used 30+ yards from stash. Of course I probably have close to 1500 yards, but who's counting, right?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Sending prayers irishrose2.
Love the unwind top Conchalea. What great colors!
For those who have fallen, here's a hand up on the wagon. While I haven't used any of my stash, I haven't bought any either. Been busy organizing my quilt room as my hubby gave me a storage cube for Christmas. It holds so much! I did start a few wall hangings from my stash at the end of the year. There were three and I have one left to finish then binding for all three. All the fabric coming from stash. All three are panels so a nice quick project.

Stay strong everyone!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM

Wishing IrishRose well today.

I have the 2nd kit ready to put the pieces together. I don't love it, so it can't get finished fast enough. It will make a good charity quilt for the cancer center...someone will love it.

I have several quilts that need to be quilted on the longarm, most for my friends, but a couple for me.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM

My prayers go out today for Irishrose also. Here's hoping we hear from her soon... and recovering nicely.

I'm glad to see so many of us are busy using up those stashes! Y'all are an encouragement to others! So far, I've finished the tops for two baby quilts out of stash only and delivered 6 completed quilts, 20 receiving blankets and 24 crib sheets to local Crisis Pregnancy Center yesterday. I haven't bought any fabric yet this year! Yippie!!

I know.. I know, the year is still in its infancy, but I promised no fabric purchases during 2019 at all! And, I have a long time to go!

Last edited by SillySusan; 01-08-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Been thinking of Irish all day, too. hope all is going well...

I've noticed that many blogs are doing stash challenges this year. Stash busting is popular theme this year so we are not alone..lol..
Old 01-08-2019, 05:46 PM

It's impressive to see the work completed so far and to hear the stories of resistance and also some "necessary" purchases. Keep going! I've seen two new blue and white collections...so far I've resisted. A sinus infection has kept me from life since Christmas Eve. Should be able to get something done soon. Love this group.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM

I am here and doing amazingly well. Long morning - so many procedures before the surgery, but it all went well, even the repeat EKG. The surgeon told my daughter he was pleased with how clean the margins are. I will know next Wednesday what comes next. I even had a steak dinner at Ruby Tuesday this evening. It was either that or chew on my SIL's arm after having just soft food yesterday. I danced my way in to show them my slight dizziness from being dehydrated was gone.
I actually think i'm going to press 42 layer cakes tonight - yes, I washed them.
Thank you for all the wishes and prayers. I am a firm believer in corporate prayer, even if the participants aren't in the same room - or even the same time zone.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:04 PM

So glad to hear how well you are doing, Irish Rose. It's nice when it can all be completed in one day. Take it easy and don't overdo.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM

Hi, Irish!!!! So happy you are doing well. I giggled through your post and happy to hear you were up to eating a full meal so soon and that your twinkle toes and dancing help reassure your loved ones. Continued prayers cuz I'm a firm believer of the power of prayer warriors, too!! Stay in touch, darlin...