2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post

Half of me is proud of myself, the other half is kicking myself in the pants for not taking advantage of the 70% off quilting fabrics sale!!!!!
No kicking yourself in the pants for doing the right thing, JJBlaine. Good for you!! You are an inspiration!!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Finished the Good Fortune top, a string quilt, a baby quilt, and a baby quilt top--all stash!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 AM

Good Morning, Wow, I would have never thought, two weeks and haven't purchased anything new. Thank's y'all. This fabric moratorium is working great right now. I am going into a weak phase. I have to finish tops. That sends me running for backing. Keep you fingers crossed for me. I'm diving into my stash for backs.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
I used 1.3 yards on a non-quilting project but, at least, it is used.

I serged the double-sided receiving blanket and the 2 burp cloths. One book panel is also gone. Wahoo! Just in time for the neighbor’s baby shower on Saturday.
nice gifts ! we have the same large cutting mat, I think. mine is developing a small “hump” and I don’t know why so I keep a 5 lb weight on it.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 AM

Everyone is doing wonderfully. Me, not so good. I have 2 projects going at once right now, projects from my kit stash. I need to finish them up because my Craftsy order is coming today, and that needs to be turned into a kit and put in an artbin so I can start on IT.

The receiving blankets are great. I made some over Christmas for a friend's new grandchild. I love the serger for them, they go so fast. That is something else I could make to use up some of the flannels in the stash. I can think of so many projects, but I don't know where the time is hiding, maybe under the stacks of fabric.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Great finishes!! You all are doing so great using up your stash.

I don't keep track of the yardage I use. Because I never measure my stash. But, I usually don't carry much yardage. Usually less then 1/2 a yard. Lots of FQ's. I only carry a bit of yardage for backing and WOW. I guess it's just important to use it. lol

Gran of 6, I know your quilty work ethic. I know you will have those quilts ready for the long arm before you know it.

I applaud you on cutting your stash and kitting it. I never cut my fabrics before I am ready to use them anymore. And, I don't cut my scraps anymore either until I'm ready to do something with them. Made a few boo boo's where I needed that bigger piece. I have a short attention span. I'm afraid I'll change my mind on pre-done kits.

Last edited by Judith1005; 01-17-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Thanks, Judith. I only kit up the yardage that I Know will be used with a particular precut. Also, when I find a suitable pattern for that precut I put them together in an artbin so later on I am not wondering what pattern I was going to use for it. Had that happen way too many times. I am finding this works for me right now. For too long I have had precuts in a drawer and coordinating yardage in the closet and was unable to make a decision on what to do with it. There is no point in having it if I am not going to use it, thus the decision to kit them up and have the artbin where I am "staring" at it.

I am also proud to say that I have used 2 of my "never-used" rulers on the latest projects. This was another of my goals for the year. Another goal is to use at least one pattern from books I have purchased and not used.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: caps
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM

I went to LQS today to buy some gray fabric for a current project. I did not care for my gray stash for this quilt pattern....it has a high silky sheen to it even though it is cotton. It would have been glaringly obvious in this quilt top so I decided to get something different. My pattern is a Jen Kingwell pattern called Happy Birds....here is the fabric..lol...What ever is not used in quilt, I'll make some bench pillows to match. This is all I purchased even though the polka dots were screaming my name from across the store.

Edited to add: I lied. Sorry...I forgot I bought pattern, too. Dang....Those are on my moratorium list this year.....Ok..back on the wagon.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 01-17-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:19 PM

Tranum: I bought my mat from JoAnns a number of years ago. Too bad that yours is developing a small 'hump' but I like the idea of using a weight to hold it down. I have one mat that has a wave on one edge and I keep forgetting to put it on my driveway in the summer to see if the sun would melt it enough to get it flat and those weights would be perfect to use to hold it flat.

grann of 6: I was lazy and didn't use pins to hold the fabrics together and, boy oh boy, did I have to work to get it square by reserging parts of it twice. Congrats on using 2 of your never-used rulers.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Tranum & Retired teacher, I read that the best way to get waves out of a mat is to put it outside on the drive as you said, RT, BUT to lay a sheet of glass over the mat to help it go flat. I’d also put an old bed sheet under it to protect it from whatever is on the driveway.