2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 PM

Most of us are doing well. Still just the 1 1/2 yards I needed that is being cut every day - except today. My piecing machine had a wiring problem. I took a deep breath and repaired it myself, so it's time to plug it in and see if it works. I feel it will.
My layer cake was not 10" squares after washing. I wish I had measured it before I washed it. That means I had to cut my snowball pieces 2 1/4" instead of 2 1/2". It's amazing how much smaller that is. I hope it will still look like Hugs and Kisses.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 PM

Sister and I have had a great 3 days quilting. She leaves tomorrow. We're going to Clovis to have lunch with my daughter and then she'll be off to home. During this time she's been learning from the beginner stage. She finished a project started in class, binding even. Then we dug through my stash to find another project. She's using ~3.5 yds. More lessons, she's a great student. I finished a D9P top. About 2x the size I expected so don't have enough fabric for the back. So when we go to Clovis, I'll stop by the store and get 2.25 yds more to finish the back and binding. It's on 1/2 price sale. So this project will be 5.5 yds from my stash. For a total of 9 yds!

We even went to the LQS and didn't buy anything.

This has been a win-win visit.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM

Pet, sounds like a great visit for both of you, plus you reduced your stash & indoctrinated a new quilt junkie!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM

Everyone is doing very well, I see.

My order came from Bluprint yesterday, and I put it in an artbin along with the pattern, except for the fabric that is on a bolt for the background material, and the yardage for the backing. When I get my current projects finished I will cut up all the fabrics for the Ruby Rue, and have it ready to go in a kit.

Just a word about pre-washing precuts... they caution you NOT to prewash them. I don't pre-wash anything, but then wash when I am done.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 AM

So I am beginning to feel....not even sure what at this point. I read thru what everyone is writing and feel every emotion expressed. I decided to clean out my sewing room which is small and stacked with boxes of all sorts and make it look decent and be much more functional. I am still pulling out boxes and stacking in the hall....in tiers. It is amazing how much you can actually fit into a small room. Not only am I finding everything imaginable, but things I knew I had but couldn't find. Also things belonging to others that they said, please hold onto for while for me, and its been a very long while. Guess their while isn't the same as mine. Either way, I am almost done pulling out stuff, now to reorganize and make it work with "JUST" my things. But I also am proud to say I went into Joanns yesterday and bought what I went in for and came out with nothing extra following me home. I got a magnify glass to use in my needlework, no hands needed. I have a feeling it will make my work go that much faster, at least I am hoping so. Of course when you walk in the door the first thing you see is all the "holiday" material on sale, great price, love fabric, but what was there when I came in, was there when I went out. How about that, into day 18 and still haven't purchased. What a blessing that is, seriously. For everyone out there, on the wagon or no, you are only a loser if you give up, no matter how many times you slip. Don't give up. Hugs.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 AM

AngelAnnie, can you pass along some of your motivation to organize? I looked for a ruler this morning, but I may have been mistaken about the size and/or shape of what I thought I had. It’s almost like dumpster diving-looking for that ruler.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Well, I have been asked to make a quilt for a friend, by her daughter. So I guess I will be searching the stash for some flannel for a nice warm quilt for her. I have plenty in my stash, but it may not be her favorite colors, but she will get a quilt.

Every time I think I am making progress on a project, something else comes along to be added to the project list.

I have my rulers hanging on a wall, but sometimes I don't return it to its proper place, then I have to go searching...gets frustrating.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:43 AM

I fell off the wagon, hard. I made a MSQC order for some fabric I needed to finish a project, thread I needed, and then a cute jelly roll that was on sale. It was late right after the deal of the day changed and I was groggy. Maybe I need to not shop at night.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Pamela, climb back on & buckle that seat belt. But some of your purchase is to complete a project so it’s ok. That jelly roll was an impulse buy, though. Late night could be your downfall.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM

I have to wash precuts, mentally. I have done a jelly roll quilt without washing, but nothing else. It's just me. I only wish I had measured a few of these pieces before washing. I can't believe a Northcutt fabric either was cut incorrectly or shrunk that much. I think the quilt will still look like Xs and Os. There will just be more blocks. Who doesn't want more hugs and kisses? Machine cord repaired, back to sewing the little snowballs. Tried FMQ the king size - a little hard with the residual breast pain, so I'll do more snowballs.
Pamela, jelly rolls are tempting. I have a couple of batik ones calling my name, but at least they are in my house.