2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Thanks, Lisa. The size of the Postcards is an actual small postcard size. Obviously I had planned on this some time ago and started sorting my stash and collecting pictures from friends and buying fabric.

I say I like quilts that are "simple but effective" and I think this works This quilt is one that I will keep, I realized a few years back that although I quilted all the time, all of my own blankets were getting worn and ratty. So I decided to go ahead and do some quilts for me, the end goal will be one theme quilt for each month of the year. I have a closet shelf big enough to store them all. This one will be June/Vacation. I have February, May, July, and October finished. March, April, September, November and now June will be completed tops. August, my Barn/Harvest quilt is the one I need to do the paper piecing for. January and a new December (I have one that I decided was not worthy) have designs chosen and fabrics selected but not yet kitted out.

When my friend gave me the Bernina, I decided to start sewing on it to use its features and I had just gotten enough fabrics to make the blocks. So I've done a couple of projects using partial seams and the thread cutter. LOL, sounds like a small amount of technology compared to what this "sewing computer" can do, but I've been using vintage machines for the last 30 or so years, and the last modern machine I had was cams just before they became computerized. The sashing is just a straight seam, I thought for awhile whether or not to sew strips and miter on the sashing at the same time as the basic attic window and decided not to. That was good because typically where the blocks didn't work well it was towards the miter so I could fix it in the seam allowance.

My goal is once each of these quilts are done that I will purge the related fabrics. About half the tops are what I call "planned" or limited particular fabrics, but most are scrappy collections so that I have reminders of my various projects and pieces.

I did put a notice in the Offers section for (free) Location Fabrics. If anyone needs/wants something you see, let me know. A lot of the pieces I used are cut right smack dab in the middle of a fat quarter, but some are pieces of yardage from thrift stores where I had to buy the whole piece, some were little pieces given to me so I don't have anything left. I'd need to know what size you need, and it can help if I know what you are using it for because some are quite large scale, so while some could be cut well into a 3" square, not all would work.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Iceblossom and Julia those are lovely.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Julia...I really like your crazy quilt with the white separating...looks really neat.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Nice quilt tops, IceBlossom and Julia!
Old 08-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Crazy busy summer so not much quilting going on. So sometimes you just have to start to get going. So after I was finished with a much needed cleaning and vacuuming of the sewing room I chose a piece of fabric and used it up by making a bag and piecing a baby quilt top all from stash. The Iowa state fair is this week so also cut a bunch of 5 inch strips to donate to the sew-in where they make kids quilts for charity the goal is 560 this year. 515 were completed last year. Also finished two mini quilts for the quilt show silent auction. So progress made at reducing the stash
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 AM

IceBlosssom & Julia,
Phenomenal tops.

IceBlossom, I love the postcard quilt. I have been thinking of one for myself, but have not yet gotten the fabrics yet. Your setting choice is also very flattering.

Juliasb, I love your stripped squares. That would drive me bonkers--at least more than my usual .

Ladies keep up the good work! All I did this past weekend is pieced rows together. Since I could not stand to get them ironned, they are currently on standby. Hopefully this weekend
Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM

LindaJane: Way to use up some stash! Do members of a quilt guild sew at the fair or can fairgoers sit down for a while and sew?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 PM

Had to look at a sale on a favorite site today. Spent a lot of time. Eventually realized, I like my stash better and if I'm to buy any fabric it's to coordinate with what I've already got..... Didn't buy anything..... Success!
Old 08-13-2019, 12:55 AM

Way to go, Pet! Wonderful self-control! Most of the time the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence. To be happy with what we have is a blessing.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 AM

Comfort quilt was received with delight by my friend yesterday

Today is my Tuesday group and I will be pinning blocks together on the Postcard quilt.

Also in my work bag is a Baby Blocks top I picked up at a thrift store, top is pieced with cottons but there is an almost-but-not-quite-right color thin poly border around the outer edge that will be coming off. I'm estimating quilt as early 80s maroon and pink solids. I'll be putting on a cotton print border of the right colors. There is also a narrow white border. I have to decide on how many borders I'm taking off and whether I am going to unstitch them or cut them off...

I found another project to distract myself from the paper piecing I should be doing. Am trying hard not to give in and starting that instead of working on what I feel I should be working on. But that's the nice thing about quilting for myself is I'm in charge of the deadlines and what I feel like doing.

I checked on that auction today, all of the current bids (while still reasonable) are way over what I was willing to pay. Good for me that I am cheap!