2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-09-2019, 11:37 AM

I have 3 rows of the animal skins together, looks darling with the cheetah sashing, just cut 1 1/2". And funny thing, I was looking through my bolts of fabric to see if I had any other animal prints, and I found a 4 2/3 yd piece of the cheetah print I forgot I had, so I shouldn't have to buy more. If I have any left I should be able to use it with the charms and JR that I found.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I have done so good ( so far) this year using my stash- saving money. I have a feeling I might truly blow it though....
my hubby decided to surprise me with 2 days at the AQS Quilt Show in Grand Rapids the end of the month for a birthday gift! I’ve never managed to go to that show. We are going down after work on Thursday, spending Friday and Saturday at the show, home Sunday. I was so surprised he wanted to do this with me.
What a lovely husband you have!! So sweet to treat you to a quilt show get-away... Last time I went to a big show I made a list of stuff to look for that I needed and allowed a certain dollar amount for "love it" purchases. But these don't happen every day so...travel exemption!! Woohoo! Have fun!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 PM

What dates is the show in GR? I should go down for a day. I looked it up. Aug 21-24 at DeVos.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 08-09-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM

First look -- Postcard Top

Some of these fabrics were in stash for a long time. Others were collected, when I took my cruise to Alaska last year (before I joined the moratorium) my souvenirs were fabric. Some came from other people on these boards.

I'll be puttering about in/out of the room and rearranging them here and there. The baby shower/party for my first grandchild is at 3:00 today, I want to be done by 1:30.

There is no plan to the layout, I am trying to keep fabrics from the same place away from each other, there are a couple of prints where I used more than one scene from the fabric, those also I want to keep far away from each other.

Once I settle on the layout, I will finish the sashing along the top edge and side, pieces are cut for that. I will be putting on a ~6" border all around, using more large scale state fabrics. The back will be pieced as well. And then the remainders will be declared surplus and ready to purge. That's about half a banker's box of fabric...
Attached Thumbnails postcard-1st-layout.jpg  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Very nice, Iceblossom. Looks great!

I finished the animal skins top, just have to put a border on it. I think the sides will be 3" and the top and bottom, maybe 5 or 6". It could have had another row of blocks for length, but I don't have enough variety of fabric left for a complete row. It would be good for a twin bed for a college kid.

I have DGDs graduation party late afternoon to night. I just hope she likes her quilt.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Hi all,
Thank you for well wishes. The surgery was delayed (insurance) to Aug 27. So 2 more weeks for finishing quilts on the LA. Been putting together tops with back and binding. And putting labels on back. Found some large pieces of fabric in another cupboard, 7 yds from stash asigned to backs.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Well, good news for me, all those auctions I bid on I lost and I have now returned to somewhat of my senses. I have to not get caught up in the auctioning stuff and remind myself that I put in max bids for a reason.

The desire for that stuff is still there. The price is still reasonable but I shall try and do the proper thing and not look again and especially not bid again!

I am now committed to the layout of the Postcard quilt, have the blocks numbered and the extra sides of sashing on, got that done before the baby shower as planned!

The baby shower/party for the grandbaby was great. My son has such nice friends. My daughter in law was beautiful. Everyone had a good time and though the day started rainy, it held off for the party. Today is bowling day, we will probably swing by and pick up our coolers today although I didn't arrange that yesterday. Too early to call now.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 AM

Default Week gone by...

Another week has gone by and I have not purchased any fabric.I know it is not the best record but I am trying. I have been working diligently on a quilt from my scrap stash and from my stash for backing and sashing and boarders. It is a string quilt and quilt as I go type of quilt I figured I would try all different kinds of things. Most I have not tried before.
I took a picture of my progress this morning to share. I have this last boarder of squares done. After this I will finish the quilt with another 8" boarder of white. I will then do a scrappy binding. It has been an easy quilt to manage with my DSM since I am doing one boarder at a time, quilting and going to the next. And it is keeping me away from not only the brick and mortar stores but the online stores too.
I also found the right batiks for my strip exchange in my stash so I did not have to make a purchase there either. I was pretty sure I wouldn't but I was grateful I found some.
Attached Thumbnails string-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

One step at a time, juliasb!

Like the light colored "frame" in your layout!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Iceblossom, I love the idea of a postcard quilt, and the layout you have chosen seems ideal. Very cool!