2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Welcome, Calmclam! This is a fun thread.

Way to go, petthefabric! Like oksewglad, I would like to know the kind of patterns you use also.

I was trimming a block this morning and not focusing enough on the task and started to cut on the wrong line. Long story short, once I found the fabric to match the pieces, I was able to fix the problem. Of course after I finished the block, I wondered why I didn’t notice the center colors weren’t of enough contrast. Simple fix but not sure if it will matter to anyone but me. So I will think on it-change the color or not. Lol!
Old 12-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Ah, the last of the bolt dilemma, Conchalea. I guess it was ok for your moratorium goals that they didn't give you a discount on the remainder.

At Joann, most of the staff don't have much leeway.

At other places though... I've seen some behavior that I just can't figure out.

At a quilt shop once a few years ago when I was collecting solid purple fabrics, I brought up the 4-5 bolts and with one I said, all I want is half a yard each but this is so short I'll take it all if you give me a discount on the rest. (First point to understand is this store has a stated policy for discounts on short bolts) Clerk got huffy and said she couldn't do that, cut my half yard and then when she went to put it back on the bolt and found there was only about 30 inches left, she offered then to sell me the remnant.

Unfortunately for her, although I would have bought it all as one piece I had no desire to have two pieces of the same fabric the same color and since I have a personal rule of never buying less than half a yard, all I really needed from the half yard I bought was 7 inches and someone else would have simply just bought a quarter. So now instead of clearing out a bolt they had to deal with the remnant that not many people would be wanting.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
What sort of patterns do you use, petthefabric?
Because "Comfort Quilts" is an organized group and they produce the patterns, when making kits, I use their patterns. This is the current one. "Cut 1- 6 1/2" and 2- 2 1/4" strips WOF of 5 different fabrics. Sew together 1- 6 1/2" and 2- 2 1/4" strips of different fabrics. Repeat with remainder of strips. Cut in 10- 10" squares. Lay out squares all the same direction. Turn every other square 90 degrees clockwise. Sew together. This takes 5 fabrics 3/8 yard each. Finished 47 x 38 1/2". It can be made larger with more fabrics. It can be made from 3 fabrics or scrappy. It very easy. I usually start with the back of 2 yrs (includes one of the front fabrics and binding).

The leader is making a new pattern; scrappy log cabin. This will use up a lot of scraps made from the current pattern.

The ones I piece/quilt/bind myself are totally different. First I find fabrics I want to put together, then figure out a pattern that will use what I have. For one, I had a lot of striped fabrics, enough for 2 lap size quilts. Made squares of 4 45 degree isosolie triangles and stripes groing around the squares. Had a bunch of greens: made 1/4 square triangles and put solid squares between the pieced squares. They were 3 small lap size quilts.

Some large prints were cut WOF into 3 pieces and other coordinating fabrics were also cut WOF and made into strip quilts. These made lap size. . I'll post pics when I can figure camera-to-computer.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, petthefabric...they sound simple and quick. I have several pieces of juvenile fabrics I need to use up. This is how I envision it...would choose different fabrics though...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621176[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails petthefabric-comfort-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-22-2019, 08:04 PM

That looks great. The one I worked on, the narrow strips were next to each other. Just a little different.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

So more like this one...[ATTACH=CONFIG]621219[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails petthefabric-comfort-quilt2.jpg  
Old 12-23-2019, 06:33 PM

Thanks, petthefabric...they sound simple and quick. I have several pieces of juvenile fabrics I need to use up. This is how I envision it...would choose different fabrics though...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621176[/ATTACH]
It's hard to describe in words when dealing with visual art!

OK here goes. In the lft upper corner horizontal square (and all the similar color squares) put the dotted narrow strip by the lime green narrow strip. The bottom left (and all the similar pink, pink print and yellow squares), put the pink narrow strip by the yellow narrow strip. The wide strip is a one side of the square, the 2 narrow strips are together on the other side of the square. Do the same with the vertical squares; the 2 narrow strips are next to each other and the wide strip is on one side of the square, not between the narrow strips.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
It's hard to describe in words when dealing with visual art!

OK here goes. In the lft upper corner horizontal square (and all the similar color squares) put the dotted narrow strip by the lime green narrow strip. The bottom left (and all the similar pink, pink print and yellow squares), put the pink narrow strip by the yellow narrow strip. The wide strip is a one side of the square, the 2 narrow strips are together on the other side of the square. Do the same with the vertical squares; the 2 narrow strips are next to each other and the wide strip is on one side of the square, not between the narrow strips.
And now you know why I don't like to follow pattern instructions! How about this version?[ATTACH=CONFIG]621248[/ATTACH]

And now I see I started with a vertical square and then used a horizontal...geez...
Attached Thumbnails petthefabric-comfort-quilt3.jpg  
Old 12-23-2019, 09:57 PM

And now you know why I don't like to follow pattern instructions! How about this version?[ATTACH=CONFIG]621248[/ATTACH]

And now I see I started with a vertical square and then used a horizontal...geez...
!!! Which versions do you like?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-24-2019 at 03:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-24-2019, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I like the latter..but think the others would look better with different fabric choices, too. At any rate a very cute waste free design. Thanks for sharing. I have the Grands around during break and I don't work, and want to get them doing some sewing again so hope to make ones like this. Merry Christmas!