2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Welcome Cattitude and allthingzsewn! You will enjoy this thread.

I am probably an oddity in the quilting world because I have never purchased a jelly roll, layer cake, or charm pack. However, I do have lots of fabric but the majority of it has been donated to me through my church group or people wanting the fabric to be used for charity quilts. I also inherited my DMIL’s stash along with a sizeable amount of purchases from Hancock Fabric when they went out of business. I add some blender fabrics when needed and usually purchase something from shops I visit during the yearly shop hop.

Thank you for the compliments on my quilt top.

oksewglad, I told an employee that working a full weekend was exhausting and I figured since there weren’t any more weddings planned in the family of the owners, I wouldn’t be asked again. The joke is on me! I will be working a Sunday in January all by myself while the employees and owners are having a big get together at the other store.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:39 PM

My Holiday sewing is finished so I'm creating some more small projects using the leftovers from my Holt sew along quilt...created another pillow and started cutting into the sizes I collect. I'm determined to use it all up and not have any stuck back in stash. I've been doing this process this past year and it works well for me...but, I start getting sick of the fabric after awhile. Lol..

I have about 8 quilts kitted and ready to go...and a couple of purchased kits so I'm good for the coming year. However, I changed the color of my bedroom so I'll be purchasing fabric for a new quilt and throw pillows for this room.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I have about 8 quilts kitted and ready to go...and a couple of purchased kits so I'm good for the coming year. However, I changed the color of my bedroom so I'll be purchasing fabric for a new quilt and throw pillows for this room.
Ha ha...you changed colors so you could go buy fabric!

Well, retiredT...just think of all the stuff you can get with the extra cash!

The top is done...total of 5 yards used with 8 1/2" left of one fabric and 1" wof of a second. So long fabric!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:50 AM

Welcome to this thread Cattitude. I’m like you in that (compared to some quilters) I do not have a large stash but I don’t want it to get any bigger. Being a part of this thread in 2019 did inspire me to shop my stash first before purchasing new fabric...and I look forward to the same support and motivation in 2020 to use up what I have.

Welcome to the QB Allthingzsewn. You will find lots of inspiration and knowledge by the members here.

Connie, great scrappy quilt. Keep up the good work.
Petthefabric, I am in awe of your generosity to make so many comfort quilts and happy that you were able to use so much fabric from your stash.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Merry Christmas to all my new quilting friends. This thread has been an eye-opener for me. I have known all along that I have acquired way too much fabric and way too many precuts, but chatting with all of you makes me know I am not alone, and having the encouragement of all of you have helped me change directions and aim for stash reduction again in the coming year. I made about 20 quilts for charity, lost count along the way. 12 went to the cancer center where I had received treatment 5 years ago. They are raffled off to chemo patients one a month. I would love to give them more, but don't want to commit if I can't deliver. I also sent quite a few to a friend who gives them to people needing hugs for one reason or another. That's where I lost count.

I think you all are wonderful for making such good use of your scraps. I haven't even begun to attack the scraps till I use up the precuts and much of the yardage.

Again, Happy Holidays to all of you, my wonderful friends.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:40 AM

That's beautiful, Connie!

Welcome aboard Cattitude.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
I have made every mistake in the book as far as my buying habits. First I went nuts with FQs.....if I loved the fabric I bought it. Busy, colorful fabrics.....that did not go together. FQ bundle on clearance? Mystery FQ bundle? I could always use the ones I didn’t like in scrap quilts. Then the LQS guilt purchases. I couldn’t leave the store without purchasing something. Often this ended up being a charm pack. Why?! Then I discovered online deals. How many purchases were rationalized due to clearance prices. And then there were the ‘I’m already paying for shipping so I might as well add this item’ or......’I just need two more items to get free shipping’. And finally the panic buys....buying more of fabric I already had because I didn’t have a project in mind when the original purchase was made and I was worried I might not have enough when I made up my mind.
Cattitude, you have told my story except that I also have bunches that I got from my guild's free table as well as more from a friend who was destashing. Why oh why did I pay attention to those who said you had to have a stash in order to quilt??? Why isn't there more emphasis on how quickly a stash can grow from leftovers? I have so much fabric and some of it I actually like! Trouble is, I like to look at it and pet it, not cut it into pieces! I'm an newbie, started researching quilting about 3 years ago and have started a few UFO's - haven't finished a thing!! (Yes, I do love those exclamation points, it's how I talk.) So, I am also inspired to join the fabric moratorium - I must get this hoarding habit under control. I've already arranged for a friend to take all my fabric & sewing toys if I kick the bucket - I have an apartment in my son's house and he would just throw it all away! When I started down this path, I was afraid I wouldn't have enough ideas for making things and now, I I won't have enough time to make everything I want to make. Did I mention that I'm starting this venture while I'm on the downward slope to 80? And, that I still work fulltime as an AmeriCorps volunteer (literacy tutor)? So, my goals are simple: to actually complete some projects and to get rid of at least 25% of the fabric I have now. And, while it may seem counterproductive, if I succeed, my reward will be permission to splurge on some new fabric at the end of the year. I do have a serious addiction problem! I'm counting on this group to help me focus on my goals and remind me that I'm not alone.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-21-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-21-2019, 03:43 PM

So far in December 58 yds have been kitted for Comfor Quilts. They're having a big event in early January, so I'll wait until after that to deliver any more kits to them.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
May your seam ripped grow rusty.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

What sort of patterns do you use, petthefabric?
Old 12-21-2019, 04:45 PM

I finally bit the bullet & risked the traffic for a trip to Joann's. I bought backing & binding to complete the 2nd t shirt quilt. I only bought the required amount according to the quilting calculator. There was more than 1 yard left on the bolt so the woman cutting said she couldn't call the remainder a remnant. I was tempted to buy another 1/3 yard so I could have the rest as a remnant, but I was strong! I resisted the temptation. Since I plan to move in the next few months, I don't want any more stuff I have to take with me. So 4 2/3 yard for backing & 1/2 yard for binding. All should be used & not added to stash.