2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-28-2019, 05:38 AM

Conchalea: Bummer to your Harley repairs. I’m glad you were able to find a tow place to get you to the dealer and you are safe.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Krisb ouch dear. I surely hope you heal quickly.

Conchalea sorry about your troubles with your bike. Not the way anyone wants to stay on the moratorium.

Teen that isn't so bad when going to a quilt show. I am with you on the deals. I noticed that the last day seemed to be the best deals - at least around here.

On quilt shows, there's one an hour away next weekend but I'm going to try and stay strong and away from it. I missed the one in June due to illness and didn't attend another one due to feeling weak-willed. One more to go.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. The swelling is down significantly; now it is just waiting for the lacerations and bruising to heal. Yesterday, washed, pressed, and organized into bags the fabric for the Bali Star Wedding Ring and packed it to be ready to go to FL. Today I am basting and starting quilting on the Moonglow quilt, so hope to have it ready to sew the binding during football tomorrow. Fall transplants are in the ground (without bending over because that still makes my head hurt) and—miracle of miracles—today it rained for the first time in weeks!
Old 09-29-2019, 03:58 AM

Oh ouch! Krisb- I hope you feel better soon!

Rob
Old 09-29-2019, 04:22 AM

Oh, Bluprint is trying to entice us to shop with a 50% off coupon. I'm hanging tough so far, but am thinking I might need some more of a certain color thread for the longarm.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM

I decided to jump on the fence for the rest of this year. I went to Missouri Star Quilt company 11 year birthday bash and really got carried away with her batiks at $6.00 a yard. Plus I bought f-q to make my niece 2 quilts, ( we will be making them together. Did I say the regular f-q were $1.00 and batik f-g were $1.50 each. So I will be watching from the fence. I also bought backing for 4 projects and 1 ruler and a hamburger and fries. Next year I will stay at home and order on line, it will be cheaper. Now to not buy anymore fabric for a while. Okay, my little while may not be as long as your little while. Now to go finish some quilts and sew a little. Happy sewing and quilting everyone.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Kris--that's terrible! I have taken some hard falls and they all jarred my body and left me sore for weeks. It sounds like your fall affected you primarily in the head and face, and you're not too sore? You have been rather productive for someone dealing with a woozy head. Your funny bone was obviously not damaged; your comment on exemptions cracked me up!

Conchalea--I hope you were able to do something worthwhile or fun while your wheels out of commission.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:16 PM

Kris - hope you are doing better. Watch that low blood pressure!!

I am feeling pretty good. This summer my eldest grandson and I organized the garage -- opened all of the cardboard boxes filled with fabric (its been 5 years since we moved and this was the first summer I had the energy to do the work).. Anyway, I filled about 10 large bags with fabric that we took to a local store that takes fabric donations for Project Linus Quilts. When we went to the store, grandson would not let me look at fabric -- he hustled me in and out . I was proud of myself -- I did not go back after I dropped him off. What I am wondering is if I can now replace it without breaking my moratorium ????? (I still have a bunch of bins of fabric in the garage so I guess I shouldn't, but......)
Old 09-30-2019, 05:04 AM

Had to rein myself in a bit, but not for fabric buying but fabric cutting. I sort of lost the focus of the confetti/juvenile quilt that it was to use up squares that were given to me. Yes, I had picked out juvenile novelty fabrics for the focus fabrics, but I am working on using up something I already have and just want a certain color range and brightness and contrast.

I was stressing over my decision to add an additional row of focus squares and had to cut a couple, but I didn't have (out any way) 20 more juvenile fabrics for the sashing. Calmed myself down, picked out some bright and contrasting "adult" prints from the precut square box and am now done cutting. Hopefully I'll do the first round of connecting those pieces today and take them to small group tomorrow to pin the sashing.

Sometimes my goals are for a gift for someone, or a technique I want to try. Just had to remind myself that the goal for this is not the most perfect I-spy for donation ever, but to use up fabrics.

One thing is for sure and is good, I really don't like working with this size of precut. My brain is set for ruler cutting and strip piecing in WoF, not little squares...
Old 09-30-2019, 05:41 AM

Iceblossom, I admire you for being able to have the patience to "invent" your own patterns and designs. I just don't have the patience for it. I would rather use someone else's patterns and ideas to whap a quilt out in a speedy manner. I guess it all harks back to my apparel and home dec sewing days, when I spent many many hoiurs designing and constructing wedding gowns, and making window treatments. I don't care to do that anymore. I'm all about getting out my June Tailor ruler and cutting JR strips or charms, or using up the many precuts I have accumulated over the past few years. I am happy to say that I can see progress in the drawers, and actually have some empty space in the closets where stacks have been reduced. Now to just keep it that way.