2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 PM

The Super Nova panels and the ombres are definitely calling to me. Luckily, I had the Moda ombres in my stash - I had purchased all 17 colors for me. I have enough left from Gabrielle's quilt to make one for me. I have to get better at folding the fabric to cut the strips for bargello type quilts first. I had a miscut in that one and had to recut a new square. How do you fold a long piece perfectly? I have a Twist and Turn bargello book so I will look up to see if the author has any tips. Mine will be much smaller pieces so there will a lot more cuts.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM

I keep looking at those super nova panels. I love them but have resisted. As I mentioned previously, I have several 1/2 ombré cuts in various colors I need to do something with. Nothing is inspiring enough to whack into them...lol..

Big quilt show this weekend. Largest show in the state so I'm headed there on Friday. I have nothing on my list to look for while there, which in my opinion, is a very dangerous position to be in. Cover me...I'm going in..
Old 09-24-2019, 09:40 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I would never be able to pass up Marimekko. Onneksi olkoon!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM

The shoulder surgery of 1 month past has kept me house bound. I think 2 more weeks and I can start easy piecing. I've been perusing the stash to make combinations for charity quilts. Keep coming up short of very light fabrics. So Saturday I tagged along with dh to Fresno and he left me at Joann's. Picked up 3 pieces of very light that will go with other pre-coordinated fabrics, 1 torquoise (these all filled a void). Then on the marked down from get rid of table found 2 that I loved for clothing. These 2 were off the wagon-my resistance was too low due to being house bound, kind of like overeating when stressed. Two more weeks of house bound till I can drive, and I'm already making plans.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:51 AM

So glad to hear you're recovering well petthefabric. And if surgery doesn't give you a pass what does? Besides you slipped only a little as most was needed to keep using stash. And you have plans for all. After a month of house bound I'm not sure how crazy I would go when walking into a Joann's.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Petthefabric!! So happy all is well and you went on a little car ride to get out of the house. Won't be long!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 AM

petthefabric, so glad to hear things are progressing well and you will soon be sewing again!
Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 AM

Woohoo Petthefabric, almost there.

Almost finished with the Here Kitty Kitty donation top. I was really unhappy with some of my stitch quality and have a couple areas to redo (marked with safety pins) but was hoping that washing the top would help some -- and it did! I still have to take off a few little bits of paper I quilted through and had a problem with binding to fix. I've never liked working with flannel and this project has not changed my mind.

After that is the Marimekko. I left Alaska in 1983 and before that there was a Scandinavian design store in the mall, they would take the Marimekko fabric and stretch it on wooden frames and hang as art. Pretty sure I saw this there... Repeat is a bit smaller than I was thinking and it is a generous 5 yards.

Today I will be working on the sashing for those juvenile blocks with the confetti fabric, also going to pull a few from my collection because I'm going to add one more row to make it a small twin instead of the too large crib size it was. Most of the squares left are 6" but I'm using 6.5" so those I will need to cut.
Attached Thumbnails here-kitty-final.jpg   kitty-detail.jpg   100_5113.jpg  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Very cute, Iceblossom. Love the paw prints. I am terrible at FM unless it is just a loose meander. Since I have a longarm I do some FM on that but usually use a design in the Prostitcher.
I remember Marimekko from back when I did window treatments for people. I wasn't drawn to it, mostly because I am just a "traditional" type person. Lately I am more drawn to that more modern stuff. And even tho' it isn't modern one of my most favorites is the Wm. Morris collections. I just got a layer cake of Morris garden to go with several large yardages I got for $5 a yard in the clearance bin at my LQS. My biggest hesitation to using it is what pattern to choose.

I am in the process of putting the This Way and That quilt top together, have 3 rows sewn together, 4 to go. And I have the next one about half done, doing it while watching Kelly Clarkson Show, and Ellen Degeneres. I only have a TV in my bedroom, so I sew up there on my antique Singer.

I usually have at least 2 projects going at the same time, in different stages. One is in the basement on the big table so I don't get the layout messed up. Then the other one is for when I am watching TV or have the longarm going and have to stay close for bobbin changes and quilt advancement to the next pass. Then, of course, there is always at least one in the brain.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Well, that thud you may have heard was me falling off the wagon. Having completed about 7 UFOs, I was feeling very self-righteous. The allure of the remainder of the batiks for the JN Bali Wedding Star was irresistible (the Bali pops have been in my sewing room for two years). UPS will shortly be delivering a package. Almost ashamed to say it was over $200. So I am using last month’s birthday exemption and every other exemption any of you can invent. On the plus side, there are 7 fewer UFO’s at my house, on schedule to have none by the time we go to Tarpon Springs, and my two projects for the winter are all kitted up. And I found two backing pieces in the sewing chair for my small machine.

Or the thud may have been me fainting in the parking lot at the grocery store, hitting my head on the cart, then the asphalt, spending five hours in the ER getting an EKG, CT scan, chest and head X-ray, a gazillion lab tests, being informed that there is nothing wrong with me other than a tendency towards low blood pressure (and, thus, fainting), to stay out of sun and heat, and to sit down when I get dizzy.

Too bad it is so far from Halloween, Wouldn’t need a mask; right now my face is frightening enough.