2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Very nice, Irish Rose. I think I have some of that sunflower fabric in my stash somewhere.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Very pretty quilt, Irishrose2!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Well done, Irish.....I have avoided buying that ombré collection when I see it in shops. You quilt is so pretty using the fabric line.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Yesterday I had the happy accident of getting “lost” on the wrong side of the Baltimore beltway on a beautiful sunny day. With nothing pressing on my schedule, I went for a joy ride to Hobby Lobby and then to a new-to-me quilt shop.

In both stores, I kept my wits about me and bought only what I need for immediate projects. Flannel backing. That’s it. Two yards for two baby quilts and two for my throw on the design wall waiting fir backing.

This moratorium thread has been a great influence on my thinking. I like the feeling of being strong enough to say “no” to impulsive buys on pretty fabric in favor of saying “yes” to what I need to finish my current project.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Congratulations Zozee, on resisting all those gorgeous fabrics flaunted before your eyes. I agree, the moratorium has given me a new outlook when I go to the quilt shop. I have a 20% off coupon for my next full price fabric purchase, from filling up my "50 yard card" at the LQS. I am finishing up a Christmas quilt that was a kit in my stash for 2 years, and I think it is going to need a purchase for the backing. I just looked through my stash and saw one that work, but since this one is for the Cancer Center, I would like something nice on the back. So the coupon might come in handy for that.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-21-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-21-2019, 08:34 AM

I thought I had already replied to some things but maybe not, so forgive if I'm just not seeing it...

Anyway, lovely project IrishRose, and we know by now I like a bit of piecing on the back, well done!

Nice stories Gran, is nice when our quilts are appreciated.

Well done, Zozee! I think it's ok to get a few things so we can use some of the old things and all of us need some basic stuff, whatever that is for each us like particular colors or solids. At least that is what I tell myself. The real change I've made is the impulse buying of new fabric and the concerted effort to use stash. I do buy much less at the thrift stores, the other day there was a huge piece of yardage, 8 yards at least for $3.99. The print was ok, sort of a summer lawn theme and it was certainly big enough for a back. Old me would have snatched it up in a second, new me stood and thought on what I would be likely to use it for in the next two years, couldn't think of a thing, and put it back.

Did I already respond to the other person who was gifted some squares? Anyway, we can't always refuse gifted fabric for whatever reasons that may be! And that's how my current two projects have arrived on my to-do list when they certainly weren't there a couple of months ago.

Today hubby is off work but is going to visit my mom and I'm staying home and working on the Confetti quilt, putting on the last side of the framing on the focus squares. I'll need to cut a bunch more rectangles for the sashing. Originally I was going for no more than 2 pieces of each fabric for sashing, going to bump that up to 4 for the good ones.

The Confetti fabric is just 42" usable fabric and I need every thread of that for the 4 10.5" blocks. Had already cut the strips or else would have cut the rectangles differently and it was just too close for comfort so since I had that extra fabric I just cut a few more strips. If I had just half an inch of extra fabric I would have felt better. It was certainly doable, it just wasn't what I consider fast and easy slice and dice. When I layout the blocks I may decide I need an extra row of blocks, I'll have enough with the trimmings left and the remainder of the yardage.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:20 PM

I'm glad the Moratorium has helped many of us make more thoughtful purchases in fabric stores. It's difficult in the face of so much temptation, too.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:08 PM

I went to the local quilt show yesterday. So many gorgeous quilts, but several that had fabric I think I have to have. Luckily, none of the vendors had the one I like best with them, though one has the Super Nova panel in her store and it's only about 10 miles away. It's pricey, so I won't go get it unless I need it. Temptation, get behind me!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Irishrose your quilt is fabulous! Such wonderful colors and the quilting is lovely too.

Way to stay strong at the quilt show. Maybe I should have just channeled your willpower. I didn't attend a quilt show several weeks ago because I didn't think I was strong enough not to do stash buying though I would have loved to see the quilts. I just wasn't sure I was strong enough to say no to the vendors.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:27 AM

Ooooo pretty, looked up those supernova panels at Equilter. That was the sort of thing catching my eye at my recent quilt shop visit. Good thing I got out quickly, there are lots of fabric out right now that I just love and covet.

Doing some laundry today and have to admit to a thrift store buy I couldn't resist. I think it is a late 70s/early 80s Marimekko screenprint, not a panel but the repeat is probably close to 30". Width is wider than standard, 48" I think it was -- since I can't make a quilt to fit a standard width of fabric to save my life, I think I can make do with the extra inches. Slightly heavy but not bad for fabric weight, a glorious large scale Noah's Ark/Animal print it will make a great back for some of my donation jungle themed fabric. About 5-6 yards for $5.99. Hubby took the camera today, maybe I can snap a pic tomorrow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marimekko